Profile for Kelley Townley > Reviews

Content by Kelley Townley

Kelley Townley (Bath, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Nerf Rebelle Diamondista Blaster
Nerf Rebelle Diamondista Blaster

4.0 out of 5 stars Tricky Trigger., 15 Dec 2014
I like it but the trigger is tricky. For a start it only works when there's a dart in the chamber but doesn't say this on the box so I thought it was broke for a while. But even then the trigger is hard to press. I think it is losening up but my 6yr is going to lose all her battles trying to pull the hefty trigger if it carries on like this :-(

Transcendence [DVD]
Transcendence [DVD]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp

1.0 out of 5 stars Just not worth the time., 28 Nov 2014
This review is from: Transcendence [DVD] (DVD)
I love most movies whatever the genre but what I do demand from a film is a decent storyline. Story is king. This story is completely holey. It just became ridiculous. Not for any futuristic ideas, I'm all for that, but just in believability - character motivation, technological leaps & illogical consequences. Just not worth watching.

Guy Erma and the Son of Empire: A Young Adult Science Fiction Thriller Novel (Guy Erma Galactic Empire Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good sci-fi romp, 17 Nov 2014
I really enjoyed this. It's really good escapism. I liked the way it views the story from many different character's viewpoints making the imagined world more whole and more realistic - it's not like most books where you are stuck with the main character and if you don't like them tough. I think this book will appeal to quite a broad range of people because of this - there's someone in it for every reader to relate too.

The story is clever and well-plotted with some really good visuals and concepts. I do like intelligent sci-fi. Saying that it's not heavy at all. It's just a really good sci-fi romp. Very satisfying.

Magic Beans: A Handful of Fairytales from the Storybag
Magic Beans: A Handful of Fairytales from the Storybag

1.0 out of 5 stars To me this cover said it was suitable to read out loud to young children but in my opinion it is not., 26 Sep 2014
Sadly not very impressed.

We got our copy from the library and we've only read the first story so far (Six Swan Brothers by Adele Geras) which started off lovely and then gets terribly rushed and violent at the end (baby eating, blood, burning at the stake). I see another reviewer says that Rapunzel gets a bit racy and inappropriate. I do not think I will read the rest of this book to my children (5yr & 6yr). They were quite upset by the first one.

I appreciate that fairy tales are originally gruesome and, to be honest, I like them like that but this books seems poorly aimed. To me this cover said it was suitable to read out loud to young children but in my opinion it is not.

How long will it be before publishers realise that, not exactly 'age ranging' but SOME content information - like that on a film - explaining what to expect in the story, is beneficial and not going to lose them sales!

The Six Swan Brothers: A Magic Beans Story
The Six Swan Brothers: A Magic Beans Story

1.0 out of 5 stars To me this cover said it was suitable to read out loud to young children. In my opinion it is not., 26 Sep 2014
Not very impressed. It starts off lovely and then gets terribly rushed and violent at the end (baby eating, blood, burning at the stake). My kids (5yr & 6yr) were quite upset by it. I appreciate that fairy tales are originally gruesome and, to be honest, I like them like that but this was not well structured. It just came out of nowhere!

Disney Frozen: Cool Colouring Book
Disney Frozen: Cool Colouring Book
Offered by C & J UK (Select Expedited for Christmas Delivery)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what we expected., 31 Aug 2014
Nope. No good. We wanted pictures of the princesses to colour - naturally. This is the story of the film to colour in linear order so loads of boring pictures amongst a few good ones. Also the paper is too thin. For this price I expected better.

Shopkins Spin Mix Bakery Stand Playset
Shopkins Spin Mix Bakery Stand Playset
Offered by Fun Collectables

3.0 out of 5 stars Still not sure if I like these..., 31 Aug 2014
Mixed feelings about this. It is totally over-packaged cheap tat but lovely idea. The toy is quite good and fun but the actual shopkins creatures are horridly made! Not cute or squishy as imagined but hard plastic and sparsely painted. I've yet to fins a shop that sells the individual shopkins but we're still gonna try and collect a few just because we like the idea of playing shops with them. (kids aged 6 & 7)

The Invention of Lying
The Invention of Lying
Dvd
Offered by Lovefilm UK Limited

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea. Starts well but somehow doesn't live up ..., 31 Aug 2014
Great idea. Starts well but somehow doesn't live up to expectations. Still nice to watch but could have been so much better.

The Roots of Desire: The Myth, Meaning, and Sexual Power of Red Hair
The Roots of Desire: The Myth, Meaning, and Sexual Power of Red Hair
by Marion Roach

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as interesting as I had hoped., 30 April 2014
I just didn't find this very engaging. I was hoping for titbits and facts and interesting anecdotes about redheads but it reads like a research project - going through every thought process as the author plods through her investigation. It's just a bit boring.

Jobs People Do: A Day in the Life of a Doctor (DK Reader - Level 1 (Quality))
Jobs People Do: A Day in the Life of a Doctor (DK Reader - Level 1 (Quality))
by Linda Hayward

2.0 out of 5 stars Too American, 30 April 2014
I bought this for my 5yr daughter because she is learning to read and said she wanted to be a doctor.

This book is supposed to be for beginner readers but the text is not that easy and the highlighted words are much too long: 'Stethoscope' and 'tongue depressor'!

And the doctor's day is just too American. It uses words like 'Mom' and nothing looks like it would here in the UK (the photos are also very outdated).

We won't be reading it again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4