Profile for Adrian Seel > Reviews

Seoul Survivors
Seoul Survivors
Price: 2.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Clever title then downhill all the way, 3 Jun 2013
This review is from: Seoul Survivors (Kindle Edition)
I felt that I was lucky to survive this shabby excuse for a book. This claimed to be a Science fiction novel, only the science was poor to non-existent and the fiction in the worst tradition of chick-lit. The all too frequent sex scenes were both graphic and slightly nauseous (I believe there is a bad sex award for novels, it's the nearest to a prize that this grubby bit of trash is likely to get!).
The characterization of the main protagonists looked interesting for a few pages, until you come quickly to the conclusion that none of them are worthy of your sympathy. The plot meanders along with the odd predictable twist and turn while going nowhere fast!
The story builds down to an excruciating ending which would be disappointing for its multitude of loose ends if you could be bothered to care. All in all one of the worst books I've ever read and if I hadn't been on holiday with limited reading resources I'd have given up very early. Thank God I didn't pay full price for it, even at a quid it was a rip off!

Wayzon Black Premium Organic Leather Horizontal Belt Clip Holster Case Cover Skin Pouch Wallet For Motorola Motosmart Flip XT611
Offered by Wayzon
Price: 4.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Down hill from day one, 13 May 2013
I was pleased with my new Motosmart phone and immediately looked for a belt clip case for it. Unfortunately I came across this product first, it looked good so I ordered one. On arrival it appeared OK but it was not to last, by the end of the first week the leather of the retaining strap delaminated on both sides where it joins the main body, within a month the strap was decidedly tatty and the leather cover of the belt clip had come away.
Overall this is a stylish phone cover seriously let down by poor technical design and even worse manufacture. The condition of the cover after just six weeks leaves me to consider it as not fit for purpose.
Can anyone recommend a case for my Motosmart that works?

KidneyDiet
KidneyDiet
Price: 1.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Freedom to Feed, 17 Jan 2013
This review is from: KidneyDiet (App)
This is an invaluable tool for all sufferers of later stage kidney failure, where too much potassium can have catastrophic consequences. The app allows you to type in a food and get a breakdown of the chemical content of a portion, you can personalize this against your daily allowance. My one complaint is that while chemicals e.g. Potassium, Sodium etc. are displayed in milligrams the portion sizes are variously description in ounces, cups and other measures that as a, no longer young, Brit I don't recall (Grams into Cups?) Obviously intended for the American market, it's invaluable worldwide, just, please could we have some metric portion sizes.

Cemetery Girl
Cemetery Girl
Price: 3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A Walk in the Park, 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: Cemetery Girl (Kindle Edition)
A strange book, I wondered what possible motivation the author could have to write it, then I checked out the author's background and all became clear; a literary exercise from a professor of English.
That said he does a fair job of it. Tom Stuart's life is falling apart, his daughter, Caitlin has disappeared from the face of the earth. One minute taking the dog for a walk in the park, the next, gone, nothing.
Bell's description of Tom's descent into agitated depression is well documented, and is a powerful portrayal of grief and it's effect on the mind. Tom's wife, Abby's struggles to cope, as seen through his eyes are a tour de force description of relationship breakdown.
The author however waivers because, of course, he knows what's coming next. Caitlin's return.
There are a number of recent cases of abductions of adolescent girls and the resulting relationships which have occurred both in Europe and the U.S. and this novel now drifts into a rather less believable case study. There are a raft of lesser characters, police officers, therapists and of course Chris the Pastor and brother Buster, who between them add some colour to the proceedings.
Overall an ambitious novel with a first part which draws the reader into the fraught relationships of this dysfunctional family, part two explores the reintegration of the prodigal daughter and then part three rather meanders to a rather unsatisfactory ending.

Manhattan in Reverse
Manhattan in Reverse
Price: 3.59

4.0 out of 5 stars More depth required, 21 Dec 2012
Science fiction is one of the most difficult genres to master, few do it well, certainly in the last half century.
There is plenty of science in these stories and plenty of fiction too, but no real depth. Reading Peter Hamilton's work is like surfing, you are skimming the surface of the story with the promise of so much more beneath, but never realized.
There is no doubt that the author has considerable imagination and technical knowledge but the story telling and plot development is sadly lacking.
The final two stories share the same lead character, and most of them a similar theme of law enforcement in the far distant future, with a little effort most of these stories could have been combined to make a novel and still left time for character and plot development.
Will I go on to read Hamilton's take on the full length novel? Maybe, I'll have to check out the reviews!

Nowhere To Hide
Nowhere To Hide
Price: 1.49

4.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT READ THIS BOOK...., 14 Dec 2012
This review is from: Nowhere To Hide (Kindle Edition)
...before you have read the prequel "Trust No One". This appears to be less a sequel, more the second half of the same book. My four stars reflects not so much the quality of the writing, which is consistently of a high standard, as my frustration at not knowing in advance that reading "Trust No One" was a prerequisite for the enjoyment of this novel. I feel that I've missed out!
Reading this clever follow-up is a bit like watching a feature length episode of a crime thriller, having missed the first series.
I will not even attempt to provide a synopsis of "Nowhere To Hide", as this would risk ruining the story line of both books. One small complaint; the first of the two books is some five times as expensive as the second in Kindle books which certainly encouraged me to buy out of sequence.

The Pure
The Pure
Price: 2.09

4.0 out of 5 stars ...Rich Man, Pure Man..., 6 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Pure (Kindle Edition)
A real roller-coaster of a read, particularly the twists and turns of the concluding chapters. It left me quite out of breath.
Uzi is a semi-psychotic, semi-retired Mossad agent working as a small time dope dealer come security guard in one of the seedier suburbs of London. Avner, another disillusioned if idealistic semi-retired spy, his close friend and former co-worker, plays his conscience and confident.
When Uzi meets the beautiful Liberty, a big time drugs dealer and leader of a gang of vicious Russian thugs, things can only get better, or much, much worse!
The Pure is fast paced, if occasionally fragmented novel and the flashbacks, while initially irritating do add to the complexity of Uzi's character.
Throughout, like all the best thrillers, this novel contains a frightening ring of truth, right until the very end, and that's just bonkers! Can't wait to see the film!

The Black Monastery
The Black Monastery
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The Paranoid Paradise of Palassos (Sects 'n' Drugs 'n' Rock & Roll), 29 Nov 2012
I read The Black Monastery after I'd finished the author's more recent novel A Dark Redemption, a path that I imagine many others will follow as Carrigan and Miller's fan base expands. There are a great many similarities between the two books, notably each has a senior police officer with a dark secret in their past and each has a plot twist requiring the characters to make a choice between two paths/trails.
The story involves our two amateur sleuths, Kitty and Jason meeting on the sunny Greek island of Palasso, a tourist trap filled with drugs and discos' where once there was fishing and farming. A series of deaths, both recent and historic confuse both the police and our heroes, who are incredibly smart and incredibly stupid by turns.
The story does tend to become fragmented at times with chunks of text with limited relevance, however for the most part it is a gripping tale. I thought that by two-thirds of the way in I pretty much had the mystery cracked but I reckoned without the Sherez multiple twists in the tale!
Certainly The Black Monastery is well worth the read and I rather hope that Amazon will issue the rest of his novels as e-books or I may have to resort to buying them on paper!

Kindle Fire 7", LCD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - With Special Offers [Previous Generation]

4.0 out of 5 stars A Life Changing Experience, 23 Nov 2012
I was desperately disappointed when my 3g Kindle gave up earlier this year for no discernible reason, after nearly two years and thus out of warranty. That, I thought, is that! I reckoned without the input of my wife and son, so a month ago I received an early Christmas present; the new Kindle Fire HD.
I admit to being something of a technophobe with few computing skills but was delighted to be able to read the books unfinished at the demise of the Kindle e-reader. As time has gone on I found I could do my emails (OK I can't always download attachments, but I've got a laptop), and I could access all the websites I used to check once a week or so, every day (or every couple of hours as my wife's just pointed out).
Then while using the BBC website I thought I could watch/listen to that. Of course I couldn't, no flash drive (whatever that was). Enter the patient, quick, friendly technophiles at Amazon customer services. I'd be embarrassed to admit to the number of calls and emails it took to get me up and running with BBC media/iplayer but we got there! Still can't get the Test Match on 5 live extra but that, I am told will come and I still have the BBC blog.
I haven't tried film yet, too busy reading and trying my hand at reviewing, but what I can do with the Fire has transformed my leisure, and partly my work, life. One last thing, I won't get caught again I bought the 3 year warranty.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2012 2:07 PM GMT

The Ritual
The Ritual
Price: 3.59

1.0 out of 5 stars An Avoidable Ritual, 23 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Ritual (Kindle Edition)
I am always reluctant to review a book which I haven't finished, but this novel is truly tedious. I gave up at 50%, was disappointed with myself so persevered, but by the start of part 2 on 59% could take no more. the book gets one star for some interesting characters and relationships, however the premise that four middle-aged, seemingly intelligent adults could be so inept is literally unbelievable. The trek through the Scandinavian forest is repetitive and the "horror" only mildly disconcerting. If anyone can give me reason enough to tackle the remaining 40% I'm all ears.

Page: 1 | 2