Profile for Alan Moore > Reviews

Content by Alan Moore

Alan Moore "amosam" (Glasgow)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Sony MDR-ZX660AP Lightweight Headphone with Smartphone Control - White
Sony MDR-ZX660AP Lightweight Headphone with Smartphone Control - White
Offered by You Want One

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonic Boom, 8 April 2016
These headphones are astonishingly good for the price. I already owned the red pair, which my daughter had borrowed so many times I eventually relented and bought her the white ones for herself. I must admit the white looks great.

I'm pretty fussy with headphones, my on-the-go's are Sennheiser IE80's. I must admit the Sony's appear equally easy to drive by my iPhone and the sonic range is very good indeed. Sony make a point of emphasising that these are designed for music with a strong bass, which usually means that the mid and treble are a little dull by comparison. However that's not really been my experience, certainly the bass notes have a very satisfying thud in these but overall most music genre's are well catered for.

Construction is rugged, very impressive. The flat cable performs it's tangle-free function well and the mic works well with mobiles in my possession (iPhone and Blackberry). I've never felt they are going to break nor the need to store in a case.

In terms of isolation I'd say they are more than adequate for cutting out household sounds, but they are less effective outside in a busy city street and I assume also so in something like an aircraft cabin.

Nevertheless, the bang for buck here is what gets the 5 Stars from me. A great product from Sony.

Sony PHA-1EU USB DAC High Resolution Audio Portable Headphone Amplifier
Sony PHA-1EU USB DAC High Resolution Audio Portable Headphone Amplifier

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Sony product, replacing my Fiio Alpen 2, 24 Mar. 2016
Its maybe a little unfair to compare this with a Fiio Alpine, the latter really just an amplifier with dedicated graphic equaliser. However I think most people who seek these items are looking to squeeze the best out of their portable music device and headphone investment(s).

My personal rig is an iPhone 6S Plus, Apple Lossless music and Sennheiser IE80's. I've been hooking up the PHA-1 using my standard Apple lightning cable and then obviously plugging headphones into the unit's 3.5mm jack. This process disables volume control on the iPhone, whereby adjusting the latter is controlled by a chunky metal dial on the Sony. This also doubles an on-off switch.

The sonic improvement is considerable. Volume and all frequency ranges are boosted considerably. There is a 3-setting gain control on the bottom of the unit which I keep at medium and a volume setting of 30-35%. This is more than adequate for my rock & metal tastes (although the IE80's are quite easy to drive). Equaliser control is from source, so my iPhone is still used to adjust bass treble etc depending on what I'm listening to.

I've yet to put Hi-Res through a test, but my experience with Apple Lossless has been very positive and I'm glad I bought the PHA-1. Plugging the headphones back into my iPhone directly after use makes it sound as if I'm listening from next door :)

Battery so far has been excellent and the build quality is certainly en-par with the price tag. I'm a wee bit disappointed Sony didn't bundle a case, but at least all aspects of connectivity are catered for in the box. The PHA-1 is not a device I commute with (I rather prefer to use it in a sit-down-and-listen-properly mode). If you are intending to commute with it, there are bands supplied to which you can strap the PHA1 and your music player together. This seems a clunky solution to me and I'm not likely to do that. When I'm out and about, the raw sound from my iPhone is fine.

In terms of audio quality, its an absolute sonic delight.

Breville VBL096 Blend-Active Personal Blender Family Pack - White/Green
Breville VBL096 Blend-Active Personal Blender Family Pack - White/Green

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm really pleased., 24 Mar. 2016
This Breville has been working very well for me.

I mainly use it for blending fruit, veg and have no issues liquidising bigger items such as whole tomatoes and bananas. Bottles seal well.

For the price paid and brand, I'm really pleased.

MeFOTO Sidekick 360 Plus Adapter for Smartphone - Black
MeFOTO Sidekick 360 Plus Adapter for Smartphone - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Perfect Product, 21 Mar. 2016
At last. AT LAST!!!!

A quality engineered tripod mount for the iPhone 6s Plus (+ Otterbox Commuter in my case). Multi-angle control, multi-size tripod thread, rock solid stability. The absolute perfect combo for my Manfrotto mono/tripods (560B1 / BeFree / PIXI respectively).

Love it, a photo/video enthusiasts dream for Apple iPhone 6s Plus & similar sized smartphones.

Sony MDR-EX650 Earphones with Brass Housing, Smartphone Mic and Control
Sony MDR-EX650 Earphones with Brass Housing, Smartphone Mic and Control

5.0 out of 5 stars My Other Headphones Are Sennheiser IE80's, 20 Feb. 2016
I am an impossible to please headphone user. I want it all, the excitement of 'live' coupled with 'its exactly how we wanted you to hear it'.

I'm a recorded drummer and can honestly say that these headphones are sonically en par with anything costing 5-10 times the price. Brass can best be described as having a unique wet / ringing characteristic amongst drummers. A beautiful tonal characteristic which harder metal cannot match.

Its bizarre that Sony (of all people) have finally picked up on this. The EX650's are an absolute steal at the price, aside from their soundstage the construction standard is superb. How Sony squeeze out a profit on this at £45 retail is mind boggling and we should not complain.

They look unique. They sound phenomenal. My IE80's are nearing eBay by the minute.

Sony LCJ-RXF Leatherette Custom Fit Jacket Case for RX100/M2/M3/M4
Sony LCJ-RXF Leatherette Custom Fit Jacket Case for RX100/M2/M3/M4

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but worth it, 10 Feb. 2016
Yes, some courage is indeed required when clicking Add To Basket with this little guy.

To be fair though, Sony have not skimped here and you get what you pay for. Its a classy, well designed / built item. On a practical level it offers considerable protection to an RX100 series camera. Is it absolutely worth the cost? I would say yes, because it is built to last and stops me having to treat my RX100M4 as if its a naked iPhone. It has a great retro feel and I wouldn't now use my camera without it.

Sony DSCHX90 Digital Compact High Zoom Travel Camera with 180 Degrees Tiltable LCD Screen and View Finder (18.2 MP, 30 x Optical Zoom, Wi-Fi, NFC) - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars The most perfect smartphone companion ever!, 10 Feb. 2016
My go to camera is an RX100M4, a beautiful device in every aspect. It does not however go with me absolutely everywhere, that role is assigned to my current mobile, an iPhone 6s+ which I'm equally thrilled with. Each of course has their own unique merits, but there's been the odd occasion where extra reach would have been very useful.

I bought the DSCHX90 to fulfil that role and to be honest was not expecting much. Having owned a Canon SX50HS/SX60HS and Sony's own DSCH400 'superzoom', I'd been left disappointed with a number of things - bulk, price, build and of course image quality. The DSCHX90 intrigued me though, its front dimensions are not that bigger than a credit card and research seem to suggest that the little guy punched well above it weight.

Boy are those reviews right, this is a mini marvel from Sony. Oddly over-shadowed by the multi-headline grabbing features of Sony's bigger lines, I've generally found the images and features of this camera to be outstanding. It does everything my smartphone camera can't and is a perfect solution for situations where I don't necessarily want to be waving my iPhone around.

It won't ever replace the quality of my RX100M4 of course, but I would have no hesitation in grabbing it for situations where a single / small camera is the best choice. Highly recommended as a versatile / companion device.

Travel Adapter USA 3 Pin Earthed Multi Extension Lead Moulded Type B US Plug 4 UK Sockets 1.5m Flex CE Certified
Offered by Traveldapter

5.0 out of 5 stars No brainer iAge travel accessory, 24 Aug. 2015
Did the job for me whilst in the USA this year. All 4 of us (Mum, Dad, Daughters x 2) travelling with the usual gadgets - iPhones, tablets, photographic and grooming products. In particular perfect for re-charging multiple items at night and/or sharing the dryer/styler-of-choice in the bathroom.

A light, case friendly travel item. Highly recommended for the iAge.

Anker® 3.5mm Premium Auxiliary Audio Cable (4ft / 1.2m) AUX Cable for Beats Headphones, iPods, iPhones, iPads, Home / Car Stereos and More (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Anker & Amazon UK, perfect fit, 24 Aug. 2015
I've bought a few Anker products on Amazon and none disappoint.This cable is no exception, bought primarily to connect my iPad Air (with Apple Case) to UberAudio Bluetooth speaker (sold here on Amazon). The iPad's case needs a slim fitting 3.5mm jack and the Anker fits the bill perfectly. Also comfortably fits into my Galaxy Note 3 adorned with a chunky OtterBox Commuter case. Gold plated connector, robust plugs and well insulated cable.

Premium feel, eco-friendly packaging. Excellent stuff from manufacturer and supplier. I like these products and would buy again.

Adonit Jot Script 2 Fine Point Stylus for iPad/iPad Air/iPad Mini
Adonit Jot Script 2 Fine Point Stylus for iPad/iPad Air/iPad Mini
Offered by MSG-World

2.0 out of 5 stars Jot Script on iPad Air v's Galaxy Note 3, 20 Aug. 2015
I bought this as I've been considering a move back to an exclusively iOS platform for my mobile writing needs. I currently have an iPad and Galaxy Note 3.

The Jot Script is a sleek, well designed product. It has a nice weight to it. Unfortunately its let down by its performance. The Galaxy Note stylus (S-Pen) experience is vastly superior to this. The latter is responsive, pressure sensitive and feels natural. Samsung are continuing to evolve their Wacom technology partnership and it shows. Likewise the software apps supporting the Samsung S-Pen are in a well evolved state.

The Jot Script is unfortunately clunky by comparison. It produces less accurate forms and has a noticeable lag. I've decided not to send it back as (by all accounts) the appearance of Force Touch on iOS devices will improve things considerably. However, the experience has persuaded me to hang off ditching my Note 3 for a while.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7