Profile for Alan Moore > Reviews

Content by Alan Moore

Alan Moore "amosam" (Glasgow)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Clockwork Angels [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Clockwork Angels [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Rush

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic Clockwork Angels tour memory, 27 Dec 2013
I caught the Clockwork Angels tour in Glasgow this year. The band were brilliant, but woefully let down by the appalling SECC acoustics (now mercifully replaced by the superior Hydro Arena). For that reason alone I was keen to get my hands on the tour video.

Rush are ageing like a vintage wine and this production does both them and the Clockwork Angels tour a great deal of justice. The photography is excellent, it was great to see all that fine detail of things the guys surround themselves on stage with. The big screen tour videos are all bundled along with brilliant extras which include a tour documentary, interviews and soundcheck footage. If you didn't catch Rush this year, its worth buying this production for the concert footage alone.

Encore ... Tom Sawyer / 2112. Now THAT'S how to send people home happy!

Come back soon guys ...

The 7 Secrets of Happiness: An Optimist's Journey
The 7 Secrets of Happiness: An Optimist's Journey

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightenment, a worthwhile read, 2 Dec 2013
This book describes simple rudiments which if followed lead to a life of fulfilment. Be under no illusion, this is not a evangelical tomb. Rather, this presentation is from a man who's lived a challenging professional life and has been fortunate enough to blend it with his studies of philosophy. The 7 messages however are very pertinent and without spoiling this excellent little book, I doubt even the happiest and most successful amongst us could assemble even 2 or 3 in such clarity.

I must admit I rather enjoyed the 7 Secrets and am grateful Gyles wrote it. Its simple, short and pertinent with appropriate academic references. I suspect the enlightenment gained will spread a small but important thread in your life once read. And I also rather suspect the author would be accordingly grateful.

A simple and highly recommended gift to yourself.

SAMAR® - Supreme Quality New Apple iPad Air Tablet (Released Nov 2013) Matte Anti Glare Screen Protectors (3 in Pack) - Includes Microfiber Cleaning Cloth
Offered by Case Specialist

5.0 out of 5 stars iProtect, 26 Nov 2013
No brainer. A steal at the price (well done Amazon for carrying).

Fitting screen protectors on such a large area of glass I can be a tricky / frustrating exercise. The best suppliers provide video tutorials and materials which compensate for dust specs / multi-fit attempts as do SAMAR. Buy - do the YouTube homework recommended on the pack - don't rush the fit. I wasn't happy with first attempt, but perfected on second (three supplied in pack).

Would maybe recommend cleaning your screen with a quality cloth prior to fit (as opposed to one supplied), but other than that highly recommended.

SAMAR® - Supreme Quality New Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Matte Anti Glare Screen Protectors (Released 2013) 6 in Pack - Includes Microfiber Cleaning Cloth
Offered by Case Specialist

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality & Value, 26 Nov 2013
Wow. Extremely high quality, both protector and packaging. Precision fit on my Note 3.

I am tempted to give 5 stars, but for 2 issues:

1) My S-Pen doesn't quite glide across the screen in the same way a gloss finish would do. I suppose that's a given though. In terms of ramping up the visual appeal of your Note though these are are no brainer at the price.

2) Fitting was fine, the only element of the package I was unimpressed with was the cloth. After a couple of dust spec ridden fittings (having taken the usual precaution of a nearby steaming kettle) I realised that wiping my Note with the supplied cloth was't having the desired affect. A quick once over with a quality LCD cleaner rectified this.

Overall though, I am very impressed with the quality. Thumbs up to the Amazon for carrying this though, genuine value.

Update 30/11
------------
Thought I'd add an important note regards my comments above. Having lived with the screen protector for a few days I've actually found the initial S-Pen resistance to have improved somewhat dramatically. The S-Pen on my Note 3 now glides as 'easily as a glossy' and pressure sensitivity is up there ala naked screen. I can only associate this with a settling of the adhesion chemicals.

So to be honest this is now 100% recommended from me, the classy look of a matt protector which allows the all-important S-Pen to function as expected. Terrific buy.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Region Locked Smartphone - Black
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Region Locked Smartphone - Black
Offered by GameCyberShop

5.0 out of 5 stars A Note 3 review for the rest of us, 21 Nov 2013
I am thoroughly pleased with my Note 3.

My eco-system was (and indeed primarily is) Apple and I'm coming to this unit from a 2 year old iPhone 4s which I was very happy with. Yes I did consider the 5s and have had one in my grubby mits many times at the local Apple Store. Smartphones are a way of life now, and although the iPhone re-ignited my somewhat lapsed interests in music and photography, those have also grown to now include writing and my desire to carry a journal which could be hand-written to privately. This is the point where a new iPhone sadly fell of my shopping list.

The standards set by the iPhone in music playback and photography are comfortably matched by the Note 3 in my opinion. Getting music onto the phone from my iTunes library is certainly fiddlier, but by no means a challenge. Likewise iPhoto on my Mac recognises and loads photo and video from the Note 3. I am very happy with the results. The move to Android was painless.

Its difficult to know where to start though with the S-Pen capabilities though. The handwriting recognition somewhat defies belief and Samsung developers are clearly taking the S-software line very seriously indeed. The supplied apps suit my needs perfectly and a massive / unexpected bonus was the integration with Evernote (and free upgrade to Evernote Premium). Now thats just taking it too far :)

There are plethora of Note 3 web reviews micro analysing pixel density, processor speed and yes the over-hyped-beyond-belief region lock ( funnily enough, I don't spend my working life globe trotting with suitcase full of sim cards). I'm not going there, it sounds great, imaging is excellent and the unit's design is sublime. I have not regretted my purchase one bit.

This phone is not a fashion item and its not trying to be. If all you need from a smartphone is voice/txt/web/mail and a logo to show show off, look elsewhere. If however you make a living (or aspire to) from creative pursuits, are intrigued by how the incredible S-Pen technology may suit your work/study/play, then this smartphone is an absolute must-try.

Update 28/11
=========
I just though I'd add a footnote ... having tried a few cases; I've settled on an excellent Otterbox Commuter. Top quality protection and it gives the Note 3 a cool industrial look / feel.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2014 1:22 PM GMT

Canon BP-727 Battery for Camcorder
Canon BP-727 Battery for Camcorder

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 21 Nov 2013
Canon's officially branded batteries are not cheap, but you do get what you pay for.

My experience with 3rd party cells in my Canon rig has not been positive. There certainly have been no disasters ala leakage or combustion, but claims they are identical in performance are way off the mark. I've used the BP-727 in my Legria HFM52 for a few months now and am very happy with its performance. I'm comfortably getting 3 hours of shooting time and it appears little charge is lost whilst the camera is in standby. Last major outing was the Universal parks Florida this year, carrying the BP-727 in my bag with the stock BP-718 comfortably seen me through 2 days of shooting.

I do agree with the other reviewers that the battery does not have a vice like grip when attached to the camera, but in all honesty it hasn't caused me any problems.

So in summary, not cheap but having made a fairly major investment in my camcorder (a unit which my children are allowed to handle) I'm still happy I chose this branded product.

SanDisk 3A150957 32 GB Extreme HD Video SDHC UHS-I Card - Frustration-Free Packaging (Packaging Varies)

5.0 out of 5 stars The number one choice, 21 Nov 2013
There is actually little to say about SanDisk products & Amazon. The Extreme range does the job and is very reliable. Perpetually in stock at Amazon and can be express'd if need be.

This specific one is installed in my camcorder (Canon Legria HFM52) and performs superbly. Formatting is quick and read/write speeds are easily on par with internal memory. I've had media card failures in my photo rig, but never with a SanDisk card so I tend now to stick to this stream of the brand. Thus far thats proved a good decision.

Highly recommended.

TomTom ONE Leather Case & Strap - Red
TomTom ONE Leather Case & Strap - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality - what a price!, 27 Oct 2012
Excellent TomTom case, fits my One v3 (which is permanently stored in my car) perfectly. I rate the little TomTom One v3 very highly, way higher construction standards than came along laterally and hence I am keen to protect this little gem as long as possible. Quality soft leather with TomTom logo and bundled strap also has the 'hands' logo on it.

Overall, exceptional value at £3.99 - incredible this used to retail at £30. The One v3 is still an actively supported unit in 2012 and many people still have them.

Superb buy.

Remington F3800 Dual Foil Shaver
Remington F3800 Dual Foil Shaver

5.0 out of 5 stars Relax Victor - I dont want my money back :-), 20 Aug 2012
Remington's have a long pedigree in electric shaving and appear to swap top dog spot with Braun and Philips regularly. I've used various models from all three and almost always return to Remington as they get the rudiments right. Other manufacturers seem to spend endless effort offering different materials, battery life et al. Basically, the F3800 will give as good an electric shave as it gets, a unit which is comfortable in the hand, the trimmer extension can reasonably handle all other grooming aspects (sideburns, nasal, ear, brows). Forty minutes on full charge and it can be cleaned under the tap.

The unit is a great product for £30. Quality throughout, no frills, it just works and feels like it will last. Plenty of competition in this price point as you'd expect these are the no-frills shavers. But the trick is to do the job better than the others for this money, and I feel Remington have managed that. My father uses a Braun 3 Series costing considerably more than this and was astounded when I told him this only cost £30.

One minor but important point - Remington spares are very easily sourced - just check here on Amazon alone. In other words you won't be chucking this away after a year if you've grown attached to it.

Quality mid-range from Remington, great price from Amazon as usual.

You can't go wrong.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2012 4:57 PM BST

OtterBox Commuter Smartphone Case for iPhone 4/4S - Black
OtterBox Commuter Smartphone Case for iPhone 4/4S - Black
Offered by RichLink Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars My cover manufacturer of choice, 20 Aug 2012
This is actually the 2nd Otterbox I've owned, the first was used to house my HTC Desire.

The iPhone 4s version is no different, superb impact protection and ports well catered for with rubberised plugs. The camera is still exposed for catching those instant moments, however Otterbox have cleverly designed the case such that the inner membrane and external plastic put a good distance between the all-important lens and any flat surface the phone is laid down on.

Design wise, it does rather accent the iPhone 4's boxy look, however the the added protection far outweighs this. I certainly don't feel nervous about dropping my iPhone anywhere (& have done so many times!). I walk and cycle with my device and also no longer worry about sweat penetration.

Fitting is relatively straightforward, slip on the inner rubber membrane then outer plastic. I've seen a few people complain that fitting is difficult but there are instructions in the box on how to do it properly! Once on the phone, the membrane just needs pushed snugly into the BOTTOM of the plastic FIRST. Then use your thumbs to manipulate on the sides. Finally, gently bend the plastic up slightly at the top and push the phone home.

One thing I would highlight is that your headphones will need to have a narrow collar at the 3.5mm jack end to fit down through the gap in the case. My Apple and Sennheisers fit no bother, but just watch out if you have a particularly chunky jack.

Th rear of the phone also exposes the Apple logo which is kinda cool. I also use a screen shield back and front for maximum protection as I intend to sell my phone eventually.

Big thumbs up from me, love this case.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4