Profile for Shed Painter > Reviews

Content by Shed Painter

Shed Painter

Two For The Lions: (Falco 10)
Two For The Lions: (Falco 10)
Price: 3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 28 Mar 2014
I'm finding this one heavy going, despite being a fan of the Author and keen on the series. I've made two mistakes: firstly, reading them out of order, so that I mainly get pleasure from the writing, and less from the plot (because I know what happens more or less from the other books!), and secondly from reading Master and God (same Author) where I really cared what happened to the main characters ... I think I know the sort of scrapes that Falco is getting into, and I trust him to come out of them. Perhaps LD has fallen out of love with him a bit too which is why she's moved on.
On the other hand, Falco is a charming rogue, and I will eventually read this and every other work by LD, because they are well-written, the plot lines develop with a.realistic pace, and they are believable.

Gustav Klimt - The Complete Paintings
Gustav Klimt - The Complete Paintings
by Tobias G. Natter
Price: 135.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Gold everywhere!, 28 Mar 2014
Incredibly heavy, beautifully packed, superbly produced, fabulously illustrated, unbelievable value. Needs a very strong coffee table! Klimt enthusiasts must buy.

The Man Behind Narnia (Kindle Single)
The Man Behind Narnia (Kindle Single)
Price: 1.49

4.0 out of 5 stars C S Lewis described by someone who met him, 20 Dec 2013
I enjoyed reading it, but at the end, I felt that I knew more about Wilson than Lewis, and I still felt that Lewis was a bit of a mystery.

Over 50 years ago, and completely independently of any sort of religiosity I thought Lewis was tough on Susan. At the time, I was beginning to think that "nylons and lipstick" (on a girl) was a first rate idea, and certainly no reason for exclusion from paradise. Wilson's idea that this is misogynistic is not all that original, and the counter-argument has been put - not well in my view - but it has been put. It does seem to me that he had difficulty pulling loose ends together from already-published books, and this points to a general weakness in his books. Asimov certainly did better in his latter books (but you'd need to be a scifi enthusiast to read them). Wilson's observations on just why a 'real woman' might be excluded are very perceptive, and struck a chord with me.

I was very moved by Wilson's descriptions of Lewis's loss of his mother and other women in his life.

Despite my disappointments - such as they were - I shall certainly go looking for other works by this Author, this being the first I read.

Nuclear 2.0: Why A Green Future Needs Nuclear Power (Kindle Single)
Nuclear 2.0: Why A Green Future Needs Nuclear Power (Kindle Single)
Price: 1.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Contradictions galore, 21 Nov 2013
We need nuclear power. Full stop. We don't need a green future. This bloke is halfway there to a rational argument. I couldn't get through all the green tosh.

Techair Z Series Clam Styled Slipcase for 10-11.6 inch Netbooks - Black/Red
Techair Z Series Clam Styled Slipcase for 10-11.6 inch Netbooks - Black/Red
Price: 7.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Slip case for 11.6" screen notebook computer, 21 Nov 2013
How can you review a simple functional item that just works, except to say so. This is a perfect fit for a Lenovo S205/206/210/215 Ideapad (I have the 205). Dirt cheap, but excellent quality.

Sergeant Pilot
Sergeant Pilot
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Battle of Britain Pilot, 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: Sergeant Pilot (Kindle Edition)
Great book. Hard to determine if it is fiction or biography! The hero is a socialist inverted snob, and this made it difficult to empathise with his dislike of German Socialists ....

Cuprinol GSRB1L Garden Shades Rich Berry 1 Litre
Cuprinol GSRB1L Garden Shades Rich Berry 1 Litre
Price: 10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Rich Berry Garden Shades, 19 Sep 2012
Beware of picking paint from the colour chart, as this is nothing like it (and that is both on screen and on the printed products catalogue, where it appears as a ruddy brown). The end result is more like a Mulberry pink colour - so the "berry" part of its name is apt. As for the seller - excellent price, excellent quick delivery. As for Garden Shades generally, they go on and cover reasonably well (2 coats usually needed when changing colours). These paints are water-based and so washing brushes is easy.