Profile for Purple Ferret > Reviews

Content by Purple Ferret

Purple Ferret "TPW" (Harrogate UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Gore Orbit II Long Running Tights
Gore Orbit II Long Running Tights

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose., 7 Nov. 2011
I own a few items of GORE running wear, and have always been very pleased with them. GORE items are far from the cheapest, but have always proved to be good quality and durable... so worth the extra outlay in my book. These however are a dreadful disappointment. The issue is the zips at the end of the leggings. One broke fresh out of the packet, on the first time I put them on and before I'd even made it out of the door. After ten minutes fiddling I managed to fix it... but I'm not doing that every time I use them! I see another reviewer has had a similar experience, so I don't think it's just me being ham fisted. I've sent mine back for a refund. I'm surprised at you GORE - to quote my old school reports "Must do better".

Panasonic DMW-PHH13XEK Leather Case for LUMIX TZ Models - Not for TZ60
Panasonic DMW-PHH13XEK Leather Case for LUMIX TZ Models - Not for TZ60
Offered by Picsio

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice case, but..., 26 July 2011
There's always something nice about having the official manufacturer's case for your camera, and this is a very presentable genuine leather, semi rigid case which is a perfect fit for most current Panasonic TZ models. It's well made, with an embossed LUMIX logo and stitching around the edges. The flap fastens with a magnetic stud and there's also an additional loop on the side to feed the wrist strap through to prevent camera and case becoming separated. There's no additional compartments for memory cards and such like, so if you're wanting to carry extra odds and ends around this probably isn't the case for you. As you can see from the picture the flap just folds over, so it's not going to be weatherproof or watertight... presumably you wouldn't be looking at a leather case if that was what you were after.

I DO like this case, but my only gripe is the belt loop. Whilst I don't think I ever intended to wear it on my belt really, I do think that if it's there, it ought to perform it's function. I'm not sure what the designers were thinking of when they came up with this one. Firstly it's quite narrow and doesn't fit the belt I usually wear, but secondly even if it did, the design is such that it would seem the cause the case and camera to hang down away from your waist, which I can't see as being either very comfortable or secure. I see that other people have commented on this fact as well (even the review posted on the Panasonic web site mentions it!)... so I don't think it's just me being picky.

In summary - A nice case, and I think well worth the money that it's currently being sold for on Amazon (July 2011), but perhaps with a bit of a design flaw for those keen on carrying their camera around their waist.

Hard PU Leather Pattern Brown Case for Panasonic TZ18,TZ20,TZ10,TZ8,TZ7,ZS7,ZS5, Canon SX230 SX220 SX210,S95, A3100, A495, Samsung WB650 Cameras

4.0 out of 5 stars Good... but not quite as advertised., 21 July 2011
Let me start by saying that I think that this is a nice looking, sturdy and attractive case for the money. It is an excellent fit for my Panasonic TZ20, and I am pleased to see that the belt loop is considerably larger than the one on the genuine Panasonic case (which won't fit my belt). The interior is felt lined, and I have no doubt that it will provide just as secure and safe a haven for my camera as the manufacturer's original product. The inclusion of a matching neck strap and wrist strap is a nice touch.

The only gripe I have is in the word "leather" being used to describe the item. It's actually PU leather (split lower grade leather with polyurethane applied to the surface and then embossed to give the appearance of full grain leather). This doesn't detract from the form or function of the item, but it does mean that over time it may crack or split, as opposed to the patination and suppleness associated with ageing full grain leather.

Hard PU Leather Case for Panasonic Lumix TZ57 TZ55 TZ40 SZ10, Canon SX600 SX610,S120, IXUS 275 265 150,NIkon L31 S3700 Sony W800 Cameras(Black)
Offered by BV-electronics

4.0 out of 5 stars Good... but not quite as advertised., 21 July 2011

Hard PU Leather Case for Panasonic Lumix TZ57 TZ55 TZ40 SZ10, Canon SX600 SX610,S120, IXUS 275 265 150,NIkon L31 S3700 Sony W800 Cameras(Red-Brown)
Offered by BV-electronics

Polar G1 GPS Accessory Set
Polar G1 GPS Accessory Set
Offered by Millet Sports

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of money and time!, 10 July 2011
I have been using this product for nearly two years now (well, trying to), so I consider myself to be fairly qualified to speak on its performance and foibles.

On a fine, clear day, running in open countryside I can usually rely on an intermittent signal. Outside of that you might as well not bother. On average it takes at least 30s - 1 minute of initially standing still to acquire a fix, and battery useage is, putting it politely, enthusiastic... a few hours at most in my experience (although to be honest I found the thing so unreliable that it mainly sat in the box after the first few months).

I have recently purchased a Garmin Forerunner 405CX for about the same as you can buy the Polar Heart Rate Monitor boxed with this GPS accessory... functionality is very similar but in my opinion the Garmin is in a different league of performance altogether. It wasn't till I used the Garmin I realised quite how unreliable this product had proved for me.

In conclusion then : Whilst the associated Heart Rate Monitor proved reliable, the GPS side of things has proved a complete waste of time, it has been so unreliable that it often wasn't worth the effort and expense getting it all set up!

Fujifilm FinePix T200 Digital Camera - Red (14MP, 10x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD Screen

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Camera, 7 July 2011
As with some others reviewing this product, I own a DLSR as a "main camera" and bought this to carry around every day when I don't want all the kit and caboodle of a full set up.

I've been very impressed with it. It offers a good level of flexibility with plenty of shooting modes, or you can set it to a "fully automatic" setting where it will do all the work for you... just press the button. Talking points are : the "panoramic" photo feature, where the camera will "magically" join three landscape shots together to form a panoramic shot, and the Face Recognition system (that's "recognition" not just face detection) where the camera will pick out the faces of your loved ones from the crowd and help you organise you exposures accordingly... well that's the claim!

Results have been more than satisfactory for a compact in this price range... I would go as far as to say that they are excellent in most conditions. The 10x zoom is a nice feature for this money, and build quality seems robust. Pictures can appear a little grainy in low light conditions - but hey, we're talking about a sub £[] compact here, and if you read the reviews of many premium compacts (e.g. Panasonic Lumix TZ20 - which is considered a good camera at nearly twice the price) the criticism is just the same (as indeed is much of the functionality).

I don't really have any gripes... perhaps the positioning of the mode dial means that it is easily knocked out of place when removing the camera from a case, but that's about it really.

All in all a "little cracker" for the money in my book. I can also recommend the relevant Fuji leather case which is not supplied with the camera sadly, but worth the small extra investment to keep things looking shiny.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 24, 2011 10:34 PM BST

Fujifilm FinePix T200 Digital Camera - Blue (14MP, 10x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD Screen

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Camera, 7 July 2011

Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 17, 2012 12:12 PM BST

Fujifilm FinePix T200 Digital Camera - Gunmetalic (14MP, 10x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD Screen

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, 6 July 2011

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2011 11:20 PM BST

Polar RS300X G1 Heart Rate Monitor and Sports Watch
Polar RS300X G1 Heart Rate Monitor and Sports Watch

3.0 out of 5 stars HRM : Okay.... GPS : waste of time!, 5 July 2011
I have been using this product for nearly two years now, so consider myself to be fairly qualified to speak on its performance and foibles.

First up the Heart Rate Monitor unit, which doubles up as a timepiece when not being "used in anger". It's fairly discreet and made from a rubberised plastic shell. It has proved reliable and seems fairly rugged, although I only use mine when exercising. Despite it's looks it's only water resistant (along with many similarly priced competitors - and I can never understand why this is. Surely if Casio can rate £10 wristwatches to 50m it wouldn't be too onerous to do the same for £150 HRMs?)and as far as I can see the whole unit is formed into the wrist strap... so I'm not sure what would happen if the strap breaks. I have recently replaced the battery for the first time after about 18 months of fairly heavy HRM use (by my standards anyway) of about 5hrs a week. The menu system seems a little quirky at first, but I believe is similar on most Polar products, and you soon get used to it. You can download data to your PC, but only if you buy another piece of kit (which is about another £50 if my memory serves me right)... I didn't bother.

The chest strap and transmitter unit for the HRM are included in this package. No real issues with these. The battery in the transmitter seems to last about 3-4 months on average and is easily changed at home, despite what the user manual says. The only gripe I have with the chest strap is that during the summer the plastic adjustment buckles can rub under the armpits causing irritation.

The big let down for me with this item was the GPS unit. On a fine, clear day, running in open countryside I can usually rely on an intermittent signal. Outside of that you might as well not bother. On average it takes at least 30s - 1 minute of initially standing still to acquire a fix, and battery useage is, putting it politely, enthusiastic... a few hours at most in my experience (although to be honest I found the thing so unreliable that it mainly sits in the box nowadays).

In conclusion then : I have been happy with the HRM side of the equation, one big plus is that all the machines at the gym I use are compatible with the Polar transmitter (by far the most common set up I believe). The GPS side of things has proved a complete waste of time for me, it's so unreliable that it isn't worth the effort and expense getting it all set up!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2011 8:48 PM BST