Profile for Weremadog > Reviews

Content by Weremadog

Weremadog "weremadog" (West Midlands, UK)

The Cross Eyed Rambler
The Cross Eyed Rambler

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Wait, 22 Oct 2008
This review is from: The Cross Eyed Rambler (Audio CD)
All hail the mighty Paul Heaton!
Lyrical genius and musician - you need to add this album to your collection immediately!

Basic Accounting (Teach Yourself)
Basic Accounting (Teach Yourself)
by J.Randall Stott

4.0 out of 5 stars Still using this book after 15 years!, 22 Oct 2008
I first experienced this book when I was studying for an RSA in book-keeping back in 1993. Having recently changed jobs and gone back into the 'finance' world I have found it invaluable to refresh my memory and skills. Especially as the place I'm now working at hasn't yet joined the 21st century and gone computerised!
Simple, easy to follow instructions that can be quickly translated into any working environment and this copy is mine and has been jealously guarded for 15 years!!

The Floating Brothel: The Extraordinary True Story of an 18th-Century Ship and Its Cargo of Female Convicts
by Sian Rees

5.0 out of 5 stars All A Bawd!, 17 May 2007
I apologise in advance, I am sure my review will undoubtedly fall short of the style of many a more experienced literary critic.

Wow! This book is truly a work of art, it has been so carefully written.

I bought this book on a whim, I liked the title and it sounded 'ok', since it arrived I have only had my head out of it to carry out my daily job, any other time has been dedicated to reading and in some places rereading certain passages.

Have you ever experienced seasickness? I have and I can imagine all too well how sick many of the woman on that voyage must have felt, the rank smell of the animals and other humans aboard the ship must have been horrendous. Sian Rees shows us all of this and paints a story that will, I am sure endure and show the world how Australia and other colonies came to be populated by English convicts.

How I wish history had been taught like this at school, I am sure I would have become interested a lot sooner - I like to read about the ordinary folk, the people who did amazing things and travelled great distances to new continents.

Our Favourite Shop
Our Favourite Shop
Offered by samurai_media_JPN4UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Favourite Shop, 4 May 2007
This review is from: Our Favourite Shop (Audio CD)
The Style Council - one of Paul Weller's most maligned bands, mostly because nobody seemed to understand what he was on about at the time.

This album came out during the summer of 1985, I was 17, Britain was in the grip of a miners strike, Maggie Thatcher was at the helm of the country and the youth (myself included) were fighting a losing battle for inclusion into the workplace and society.

Unlike the previous album Cafe Bleu, which was a 'fasionably european' album, Our Favourite Shop was inherently British, with Lenny Henry acting as the MC on 'Stand up Comic's Instructions', liner note comments from women at Greenham Common, Tony Benn and other notables.

It spoke of the miner's strike, the campain for nuclear disarmament, the hideousness of Britain's 'new towns' like Milton Keynes for example.

For me it is part of my formative years, those days when I was a teenager, trying to find my place in life and the world around me.

Paul Weller a true genius!

The Bad Mother's Handbook
The Bad Mother's Handbook
by Kate Long

4.0 out of 5 stars Swallowing a handbook about bad grandmas ..., 6 April 2006
I'm going to review both of Kate Long's Novels here ..
Even if you only read two books this year I recommend these two .. Swallowing Grandma and The Bad Mothers Handbook. Fantastic!!
I'm not a real lover of chick flicks and stuff like that but I truly believe that these two books should be filmed immediately!
Both so true to life it's unbelievable, I felt every feeling in those stories, I wept with the characters, I cried with the characters. My little words cannot express how good these books are ... buy them now ....