Profile for Paul Craven > Reviews

Collins Bird Guide
Collins Bird Guide
by Dan Zetterstrom

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 4 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Collins Bird Guide (Paperback)
I bought this book even though there was no option to "look inside", I went on my instincts of it being a Collins publication (never been disappointed with Collins) and also because of the positive reviews from other readers. All I can say is that this book is superbly illustrated albeit quite small it is packed with just the right amount of info needed to spot birds. Very pleased with this purchase and highly recommended.

Johnny Dankworth / Let's Slip Away
Johnny Dankworth / Let's Slip Away

5.0 out of 5 stars Foot Tapper, 2 Jun. 2010
Having been a fan of big band music for the past 10 years I'm embarassed to have to write that I had nothing of any importance in my collection by John Dankworth. I bought this CD collection after listening to some of his music on You Tube and I'm absolutely delighted with this compilation. You get a mix of toe tapping gems like Modesty Blaise to the slower relaxing armchair music of Little Nell. Again this is another price crashing CD from Amazon, well worth the money and is an entry into the wonderful world of Jazz. % stars for this.

The Music Of Laurie Johnson Vol. 2: The Professionals
The Music Of Laurie Johnson Vol. 2: The Professionals

5.0 out of 5 stars Ear Candy, 2 Jun. 2010
I had a vinyl album some years ago that featured music from the Professionals and the New Avengers, but this is pure class. The sound quality is excellent although as already stated is in mono. I don't think there would have been much point to recording in stereo as the music would only end up on the soundtrack of a 16mm optical film print. Anyway I purchased this just for the Professionals music and I'm not at all disappointed - it's got all my favourite pieces on, so the other two CD's are a bonus and the price is just brilliant, I don't know how they make any money.

When Sex Leers Its Inquisitive Head
When Sex Leers Its Inquisitive Head

5.0 out of 5 stars Chocolate for your ears, 29 May 2010
Peter Wyngarde has always had one of those voices that make you like him. I was recently given this little gem from a younger man who couldn't "get into it". This is a series of tracks using some lovely library music and Mr Wyngardes exceptional voice. It reminds me a bit of an album by the Moody Blues, the one that has Knights in White Satin on it - I think its called Days of Future Past. The other reviewers have given a better synposis of the tracks but I would say Buy It!

MASTER LIGHTING GUIDE FOR PORTRAIT PHOTOGRAPHERS : For Digital and Film Photographers
by Christopher Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, 27 Mar. 2010
I've had a large amount of studio lighting now for 10 years, I've never really put it to much use and when I did I only used a couple of brollies against a white or black background and my pictures, although acceptable, were very flat looking. What this book does is take the novice through the fundamentals of lighting ratios and onto setting up different lights and modifiers for various effects. It's all clearly set out with lighting diagrams, exposure settings, camera angles, and model angles and poses. A very well written book by someone who knows what he is doing and has given a good explanation on how he attains his results and leaves it to the reader to not only try out his ideas but to experiment with ones own ideas. A very worthwhile read and although the book is a bit on the thin size it is packed with useful information.

Satanic Rites of Dracula [DVD] [2006] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Satanic Rites of Dracula [DVD] [2006] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for a decent UK release., 4 Mar. 2010
Well I've waited for this now since ordering alongside Dracula AD 1972. AD 72 is a brilliant DVD release with superb resolution and sound. I know it's a bit cheesy but I like it. However, this version of The Satanic Rites is a USA import and according to the cover is digitally remastered from a laser disc. All I can say is thank god I never bought a laser disc player in the early 1980's because the picture quality on this DVD is abysmal. It has all the hallmarks of a copied VHS tape with all the artefacts that went with copied video tape. I thought when DVD came out we'd seen the last of all these poor quality videos but it seems they're alive and well and living in America. This is the second DVD I've now purchased from America - the other being Paul Raymond's Erotica from 1981. Again that is even worse than the Satanic Rites'. All I can hope for is that we get a decent DVD release from a UK company soon but until then this will have to do. I actually prefer this film to AD 72 just a shame about the quality. Oh I nearly forgot. This is a two disc set. Don't get too excited though. You get a music CD full of songs that artistes have composed with a view to this film in mind. I've never heard of any of them.

How to Draw Lifelike Portraits from Photographs
How to Draw Lifelike Portraits from Photographs
by Lee Hammond

4.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to grasp, 12 Feb. 2010
I think I would say that for a large hardback book there could have been a bit more detail on the pages in the same manner as Lance Richlin's Lifelike Heads, but on the whole this is quite a good book to get the reader started on this topic. I wouldn't say for one moment that Lee Hammond is not a talented artist, as is mentioned by A Customer who sells his portrait work, she clearly is and the illustrations in this book greatly appeal to me. I came across this book after visiting the website of P. Wilkinson who has a picture in the gallery above. I've read the book in one afternoon that's how simply it is put together but it is an easy book to understand for thickies like myself.

Armchair Cinema Collection [DVD]
Armchair Cinema Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Thaw
Offered by A2ZSupplies

3.0 out of 5 stars Armchair Boredom, 7 Feb. 2010
I'm giving this 3 stars because there are 3 films on this set that I found excellent and one is REGAN which I already have on DVD from Network DVD. That left me with two films that I found interesting and neither were broadcast as an Armchair Cinema film. SUSPECT from 1969 and RUMOUR from 1970 were brilliant plays written and directed by Mike Hodges of GET CARTER fame. These two little plays are worth having even though you get the other rubbish with it. I might stretch myself and say that The Prison with James Laurenson was ok but I bought this set knowing that there were some great british actors such as Tom Bell, and Edward Woodward cast in them but their parts failed to impress me. Don't let my review put you off because I'm sure my tastes in storylines are going to be different to other viewers - this is just my opinion. Sadly the best film for me was RUMOUR but it is burnt to DVD as is. You get the scratches/dust/projector burns/ and hair in the gate as if you were watching it on a 16mm projector. This is a shame but is probably all that was available at the time. I'll keep this set simply for the Suspect and Rumour plays as I will definitely watch those again, but as for the others they are instantly forgettable. Oddly enough it's only REGAN, THE PRISON and SEA STORY that have the title of Armchair Cinema at the start.

Panasonic TX-L32S10 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview
Panasonic TX-L32S10 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview

5.0 out of 5 stars Top telly!, 31 Dec. 2009
I must admit I didn't buy this off Amazon. I had to go to a shop in order to actually see before I bought. I'm pleased to say that this television has one of the best pictures I've ever seen - even on more expensive televisions. You can read through the reviews on here and I will say they are very well written and accurate, however it's a different story when you go to look at the reviews on some of the Audio Visual sites. I can't mention any names but they basically nit pick small issues that Mr or Mrs average would never notice. One nit pick I will mention is that you don't get full colour blacks when viewing the panel in a darkened room, you get a tint of blue. Well until I'd read that I hadn't noticed it and it still doesn't put me off. So if you are looking for a television that is well made and performs brilliantly then this is the set for you. I've never had any problems with Panasonic equipment, in fact I still have a Technics (Panasonic) CD player and tuner that I purchased in 1990 and they are as good today as when I bought them.

Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) Best of - Original Soundtrack Highlights
Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) Best of - Original Soundtrack Highlights

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 16 Dec. 2009
This gem of a CD compilation is something I've longed for. I used to have all the episodes on VHS after recording them from TVS in the late 80's and I often wondered if a music soundtrack was ever made or did the music still exist somewhere? Yes it did and here it is in all its glory. Full marks to Network for having the foresight to get these tracks released and also for the ITC Music CD that is also available now. Can't fault this or the ITC release very well done to all.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15