Profile for Witchfinder General > Reviews

Content by Witchfinder Ge...

Witchfinder General (Essex, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
How to Draw Lifelike Portraits from Photographs
How to Draw Lifelike Portraits from Photographs
by Lee Hammond

4.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to grasp, 12 Feb. 2010
I think I would say that for a large hardback book there could have been a bit more detail on the pages in the same manner as Lance Richlin's Lifelike Heads, but on the whole this is quite a good book to get the reader started on this topic. I wouldn't say for one moment that Lee Hammond is not a talented artist, as is mentioned by A Customer who sells his portrait work, she clearly is and the illustrations in this book greatly appeal to me. I came across this book after visiting the website of P. Wilkinson who has a picture in the gallery above. I've read the book in one afternoon that's how simply it is put together but it is an easy book to understand for thickies like myself.

Armchair Cinema Collection [DVD]
Armchair Cinema Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Thaw

3.0 out of 5 stars Armchair Boredom, 7 Feb. 2010
I'm giving this 3 stars because there are 3 films on this set that I found excellent and one is REGAN which I already have on DVD from Network DVD. That left me with two films that I found interesting and neither were broadcast as an Armchair Cinema film. SUSPECT from 1969 and RUMOUR from 1970 were brilliant plays written and directed by Mike Hodges of GET CARTER fame. These two little plays are worth having even though you get the other rubbish with it. I might stretch myself and say that The Prison with James Laurenson was ok but I bought this set knowing that there were some great british actors such as Tom Bell, and Edward Woodward cast in them but their parts failed to impress me. Don't let my review put you off because I'm sure my tastes in storylines are going to be different to other viewers - this is just my opinion. Sadly the best film for me was RUMOUR but it is burnt to DVD as is. You get the scratches/dust/projector burns/ and hair in the gate as if you were watching it on a 16mm projector. This is a shame but is probably all that was available at the time. I'll keep this set simply for the Suspect and Rumour plays as I will definitely watch those again, but as for the others they are instantly forgettable. Oddly enough it's only REGAN, THE PRISON and SEA STORY that have the title of Armchair Cinema at the start.

Panasonic TX-L32S10 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview
Panasonic TX-L32S10 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview

5.0 out of 5 stars Top telly!, 31 Dec. 2009
I must admit I didn't buy this off Amazon. I had to go to a shop in order to actually see before I bought. I'm pleased to say that this television has one of the best pictures I've ever seen - even on more expensive televisions. You can read through the reviews on here and I will say they are very well written and accurate, however it's a different story when you go to look at the reviews on some of the Audio Visual sites. I can't mention any names but they basically nit pick small issues that Mr or Mrs average would never notice. One nit pick I will mention is that you don't get full colour blacks when viewing the panel in a darkened room, you get a tint of blue. Well until I'd read that I hadn't noticed it and it still doesn't put me off. So if you are looking for a television that is well made and performs brilliantly then this is the set for you. I've never had any problems with Panasonic equipment, in fact I still have a Technics (Panasonic) CD player and tuner that I purchased in 1990 and they are as good today as when I bought them.

Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) Best of - Original Soundtrack Highlights
Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) Best of - Original Soundtrack Highlights

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 16 Dec. 2009
This gem of a CD compilation is something I've longed for. I used to have all the episodes on VHS after recording them from TVS in the late 80's and I often wondered if a music soundtrack was ever made or did the music still exist somewhere? Yes it did and here it is in all its glory. Full marks to Network for having the foresight to get these tracks released and also for the ITC Music CD that is also available now. Can't fault this or the ITC release very well done to all.

DRACULA A.D. 1972 [Soundtrack]
DRACULA A.D. 1972 [Soundtrack]
by Mike Vickers
Edition: Unknown Binding

5.0 out of 5 stars I've wanted this since 1977, 11 Dec. 2009
This review is from: DRACULA A.D. 1972 [Soundtrack]
I first saw the film in 1977 on Thames Tv. I didn't pay too much attention to the composer of the music at the time - only that I loved the score that accompanied this film. I know the film is a bit cheesy compared with modern computer generated CGI effects but Mike Vickers of Manfred Mann wrote some very good music. This is one of them that I will cherish and I only hope that one day his music to the film version of Please Sir will be releaased. This is a USA import and well worth the money I paid for this. The CD is beautifully remastered - you won't be disappointed folks. It comes from Screen Archives Entertainment in the USA and their delivery service and communication is second to none.

Paul Raymond's Erotica [DVD] [2007] [US Import]
Paul Raymond's Erotica [DVD] [2007] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Brigitte Lahaie
Offered by Fulfillment Express

1.0 out of 5 stars What a letdown, 14 Nov. 2009
Anyone who purchases this film thinking it's going to be better than the VHS version. Think again. This is like watching a pirated movie from the 1980's. I don't think I've ever purchased such a poor quality DVD in all my life. Tape hiss is evident throughout the film together with the artefacts that always show up on copied VHS tape. Colour is poor picture is blurred and it's a total waste of money which is a shame because had it been digitally remastered from the film negative and not a crumby VHS copy it would have looked ok.

All Coppers Are... [1972] [DVD]
All Coppers Are... [1972] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Martin Potter

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre Quality Print, 2 Nov. 2009
I've had this film on VHS tape now since recording it one afternoon from Thames Television in 1986. I thought as I was clearing my videos I'd get this on DVD because the storyline is pretty good with some very good character actors. I've given this 3 stars because the print quality is a bit iffy. Not up to the usual quality from Network DVD. The picture looks like it's been taken from a 16mm print not a 35mm sample. There are problems with the contrast on parts of the print that is not evident with my VHS recording. Overall the VHS sample I've got is better in its tonal and colour quality but obviously the DVD sample is a lot sharper. Also there is about 10 minutes more footage in this DVD than was on my original recording from Thames TV, mainly the riot scene. Having said this, there are some good PDF files on the disc of the original script, and publicity leaflet that is worthy of its purchase so as I've only paid a relatively small price for this I'm not too bothered. But not one of your best, Network.

The Platinum Collection
The Platinum Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 12 Aug. 2009
This review is from: The Platinum Collection (Audio CD)
I had a few Deep Purple albums on vinyl many years ago. One was an anthology double album containing the brilliant Hallelulah. Anyway I bought this compilation cos it was sooo cheap and it had my favourite track Hallelulah on it But the whole compilation is flippin' excellent. The cover of Hendrix' Hey Joe is awesome as is Kentucky woman. It's the early pre eighties tracks that appeal to me more because of the Hammond Organ sound so I wasn't too fussed about the later stuff not being on here. Nevertheless I also purchased the album BURN alongside this and that too is brilliant. Well worth the money as none of the tracks on here seem to have been shortened. Child In Time is in its entirety.

Girls! From Line to Color: The Inks and the Pencils Behind the Fantasy Paintings of Michal Dutkiewicz
by Michal Dutkiewicz
Edition: Perfect Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what it says on the tin., 29 July 2009
This is a very nice book packed with illustrations both in line drawing and finished coloured artwork. However, you are led to think that this is a step by step guide to producing a finished piece of art. It is not. That's why I've only given it 4 stars because the description is wrong. I'm not disappointed in the book nor will you be, but just be aware that it is not a "How To" book.

Art of Edward Reed: Portraits & Pin-Ups: Portraits and Pin-Ups
Art of Edward Reed: Portraits & Pin-Ups: Portraits and Pin-Ups
by Edward Reed
Edition: Perfect Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Artwork, 29 July 2009
I bought this book on a hunch that it would be good. It doesn't disappoint. The pin ups in this book are I think created traditionally with paint and some are digital as they look a bit too photorealistic. However the reproduction of the prints is excellent and at the end of the book is a very good two page article on how Edward produces his art. I believe there is an earlier volume of Ed's art which I would also like to get hold of. If you like traditional pin up art then buy this book. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12