Profile for Mister G > Reviews

Frozen [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Frozen [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Kristen Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb film, 18 Sep 2014
Our children absolutely love this. Even I was impressed with it.

The story is great; the animations superb. The main song - `Let it Go' - sung by the character Elsa is superbly catchy. I had heard it many times before watching the film. The film takes it to another level - it is like a high class music video (albeit a cartoon), as Elsa gets creative in a way that only a cartoon could allow.

The story is well thought out, and there are many funny moments for adults (not least Olaf, the snowman).

A truly superb film.

The Jungle Book [Blu-ray] [1967] [Region B & C]
The Jungle Book [Blu-ray] [1967] [Region B & C]
Dvd ~ Phil Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb film, 18 Sep 2014
Our children absolutely love this. It's a classic film with so many great songs.

I was surprised to be able to buy the Blu Ray version so cheaply. Clearly you notice the difference between this and more recent Disney animations - this may make you decide to buy the DVD version instead. But buy it in one format or the other - it's such a good film, not least for all those classic songs.

(P.S. If your children haven't seen Frozen [Blu-ray] [Region Free], buy it for them - it is superb . I digress...)

Water Woggle or Noodle
Water Woggle or Noodle
Offered by Swimming Kit Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Great swimming aid, 18 Sep 2014
This review is from: Water Woggle or Noodle (Misc.)
Children love these.

Some people tie these around kids (I am told swimming instructors do too) - noodles leave the arms free, so they are less restrictive than water wings. Clearly though the knot they use (the first stage in tying a shoelace, if you understand what I mean) is far from secure!

For learning to swim, SwimFin Kids Swimming Buoyancy Aid is clearly more secure. We bought both the noodle and the Shark Fin. The noodle is just fun.

Once our children had stopped using it, I actually rode it like a horse - try it. You just bob up and down very gently - it is very relaxing.

Winter of the World (Century Trilogy 2)
Winter of the World (Century Trilogy 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent continuation of a superb trilogy, 14 Sep 2014
It was Eye of the Needle that introduced me to Ken Follett. I really like his books. The Century Trilogy has been no exception.

I don't want to say anything more as I do not wish to give anything away. I simply recommend reading the trilogy - Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy) (The Century Trilogy, #1), this book (The Century Trilogy #2), and Edge of Eternity (The Century Trilogy) (The Century Trilogy, #3).

The first two books in the trilogy are also currently very good value for money if bought on the Kindle. If you don't have a Kindle, you can still download the free Kindle app to read Kindle books on a phone e.g iPhone, tablet e.g. iPad, or computer/laptop - there's no need to buy a Kindle to read a Kindle book.

Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy)
Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent start to a superb trilogy, 14 Sep 2014

I don't want to say anything more as I do not wish to give anything away. I simply recommend reading the trilogy - this book (The Century Trilogy, #1), Winter of the World (Century of Giants Trilogy) (The Century Trilogy #2), and Edge of Eternity (The Century Trilogy) (The Century Trilogy, #3).

Edge of Eternity (The Century Trilogy)
Edge of Eternity (The Century Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent conclusion to the Trilogy, 14 Sep 2014
It was Eye of the Needle that introduced me to Ken Follett. I really like his books. The Century Trilogy has been no exception, and this book is a fine conclusion to it.

I don't want to say anything more as I do not wish to give anything away. I simply recommend reading the trilogy - Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy) (The Century Trilogy, #1), Winter of the World (Century of Giants Trilogy) (The Century Trilogy #2), and this book (The Century Trilogy, #3).

The Simpsons - Season 13 - Complete [DVD]
The Simpsons - Season 13 - Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dan Castellaneta

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it for episode where sugar is banned..., 13 Sep 2014
A superb collection of episodes.

The episode where sugar is banned in Springfield ('Sweets and Sour Marge') is a classic. It is hilarious seeing people absolutely desperate for their next fix of sugar. I find it hilarious as I empathise - I know that I would be like that if sugar were banned (I actually think that sugar is a highly addictive drug).

A great DVD.

Meet The Vamps
Meet The Vamps

5.0 out of 5 stars Talented. Very talented., 12 Sep 2014
This review is from: Meet The Vamps (Audio CD)
The Vamps will be big, in my opinion. The music is catchy, and they can really sing. It is good to see a group that has made it on their own initiative rather than for example via the X-Factor or a similar programme.

Their rendition of the Simon & Garfunkel classic, Cecilia, in inspired - they make it their own and really bring it up to date.

(I wrote this review ages ago, got interrupted and never submitted it. Since then the Vamps have become much better known and more popular. They deserve it)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2014 8:56 PM BST

The Bluffer's Guide to Sex (The Bluffer's Guides)
The Bluffer's Guide to Sex (The Bluffer's Guides)

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent book; quite funny too, 12 Sep 2014
I bought this in the Daily Deal (but it is not much more expensive at its normal price - not even double the price).

I enjoyed it. It contains some amusing quips such as Barbara Bush reportingly having said 'Clinton lied. A man might forget where he parks or where he lives, but he never forgets oral sex... no matter how bad it is'.

And 'Nero was raised by a barber and a male ballet dancer. Perhaps if he had been in analysis, the history of the Western world would have been vey different'.

Then there's the history lessons: 'James I (and VI of Scotland) was the original gay cavalier - the first monarch to flaunt his sexual preferences. He referred to his boyfriend, George Villiers, 25 years his junior, as 'sweet child and wife' before making him Duke of Buckingham and agreeing to immortalise his name in an area off the Strand in London - these include: George Court, Villiers Street, Duke Street, Buckingham Street and several back alleys'. It's an education.

I am not so keen on the start of a book which seemed a little awkward and contrived. It gets better as it goes along.

Small 'Trekker' Kelly Kettle® Stainless Steel Outdoor Cooker (0.57 Ltr)
Small 'Trekker' Kelly Kettle® Stainless Steel Outdoor Cooker (0.57 Ltr)
Offered by UniStore

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for when space and weight are an issue., 10 Sep 2014
(I have posted a version of this review under both the aluminium and stainless steel version - which Amazon allows - in case someone might find it useful and otherwise miss it)

This small Kelly Kettle is the version I use when out walking, or whenever weight and size are an issue. I find it useful not just for making boiling water - I use it to sterilise water too.

The small size is not an issue as I just refill it, and it boils faster the second time around.

I light mine with a firesteel Light My Fire Army Fire Steel for 12.000 Ignitions and cotton wool. Pine cones which have dried out are great for getting a fire going - the pine resin makes them burn really well. With cotton wool and a few pine cones, you can immediately turn to coarse wood such as sticks the size of a pencil and then the size of your finger. You can get a fire going very quickly.

The Kelly Kettle is a stunning piece on engineering - simple and terribly effective. It creates a jet of air which enters the base of the Kettle and shoots out of the top, fuelling the fire. You start a tiny fire in the fire pit, put the Kettle on top of it, and then add sticks through the hole in the top. The fire burns far faster than an open fire, and boils water ridiculously quickly.

If using a gas cooker, you would need a cooker, gas cylinder and a kettle or something to boil the water in. The Kelly Kettle comprises all three. And there is something appealing about finding the fuel for yourself - foraging, and not having to carry the fuel.

The, err, burning question is "stainless steel or aluminium?". Aluminium has a far lower melting point than stainless steel - 660 degrees C and approximately 1300 degrees C respectively. You'll notice the difference if (when) you make a mistake with it, such as reboiling a partially full kettle thinking you refilled it when you didn't. If full, the water means the metal will never get above 100 degrees C (try boiling water in a paper cup over a fire - you can do it). If not full, the temperature of the metal not surrounded by water will soar and as soon as it reaches 660 degrees C it will melt - the seals on your Kelly Kettle will go first. It is far harder to damage a stainless steel one because the melting point is that much higher.

One disadvantage for the stainless steel version is that it can rust - contrary to popular opinion, stainless steel will rust if left immersed in water (e.g. if you store it with the stopper on with water inside). But the solution is simple: empty it after use and store it with the stopper out.

Incidentally, I bought a stainless steel one in both this size and the large 1.5 litre size. In the case of the former, the small weight difference between the aluminium and stainless steel versions was outweighed, in my opinion, by the advantages of stainless steel. I am aware that many people would prefer the weight saving of the aluminium version.

Two safety tips, if I may: when putting the kettle on the fire pit, always ensure the stopper is out. If you forget, the pressure inside the kettle rises and eventually the stopper will pop off and a jet of boiling water can shoot out . And place mugs on the ground and pour boiling water into them there - if someone is holding a mug, a simple error can mean spilling boiling water all over their hand.

One of Amazon's photos shows the Kettle being used on a wooden table. You don't want to do that as it will burn the wood underneath! Youtube has a video of someone using a Kettle for the first time - on a smart wooden garden table...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20