Profile for WOOD > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Dartmouth Swinging Seat Garden Arbour
Dartmouth Swinging Seat Garden Arbour
Offered by find-the-perfect-gift

5.0 out of 5 stars ... this seats before in my previous garden and I loved it. It is not easy to assemble, 29 Aug. 2014
I had one of this seats before in my previous garden and I loved it. It is not easy to assemble, you will need a handy person to do it.
It looked rather crude when it came on the pallet, but, I painted it in Garden Shades 'Fresh Rosemary' and it was completely transformed, it looks amazing. The best thing with this seat, though, is the soothing experience of just sitting and gently swinging back and forth.

The Man Who Loved Redheads [DVD]
The Man Who Loved Redheads [DVD]
Dvd ~ Moira Shearer

2.0 out of 5 stars like I did, 29 Aug. 2014
A strange film, with the leading actress playing all the redheads. As a redhead myself I was curious about the title, my husband said he had never heard of it and perhaps it deservedly sank without a trace? He was right, unless you are a Moira Shearer fan, you might find it disappointing, like I did.

Battle Of The Sexes [1959] [DVD]
Battle Of The Sexes [1959] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Sellers

5.0 out of 5 stars well acted -Peter Sellers at his best! - a funny film, 29 Aug. 2014
A charming light comedy of its time, well written, well acted -Peter Sellers at his best! - a funny film.
It is subtle and witty, reflecting tradition versus modernity. It was the title of the film that attracted me, I was curious to find out if there really was a battle going on between men and women and how it is still relevant. You have to draw your own conclusion of this matter, my husband and I both loved it, but for different reasons. He thinks it is mistitled and not really about men versus women, while I agree in part with him, I can't turn a blind eye to the fact that the 1950's was very much a mans world.

The Island aka Ostrov [DVD] [2006]
The Island aka Ostrov [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Pyotr Mamonov

5.0 out of 5 stars A very Russian film, it tills the ground of the human soul, 1 May 2011
This film was a wonderful surprise, I did not expect it to be so profound. It started out very bleak, and it continued to be very 'bleak' but somehow a deeply human situation was emerging. The actor playing Father Anatoly gives a deep insight into Faith and Salvation. This film is an antidote to Hollywood, so if you like superficial action, materialism and violence don't buy this film, as you will not last more than five minutes.

It is one of the best films I have ever seen,it reminded me of my father who was a bit like Father Anatoly.
I can not recommend it highly enough, however, it may not be everyones cup of tea but once you get into it, it is well worth the effort.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Incompetent, Irrelevant and Immaterial!, 27 Nov. 2010
I bought this "book" because I am interested in St Birgitta, and the title 'Wooden Churches in Finland' indicated that it would contain information about six churches. Well, it doesn't really, it only gives you websites and links and whatever content it has is retrieved from Wikipedia. It has NO pictures at all!

Don't bother with this one because most of the 22 pages are empty!!! Save your money and google the churches instead.
To qoute a famous attorney -"It's irrelevant, incompetent and immaterial! and I am returning it today.

Francesco's Venice : Complete BBC Series [DVD]
Francesco's Venice : Complete BBC Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Francesco Da Mosto

5.0 out of 5 stars An Venetian showing us Venice, 25 Nov. 2010
Having bought Francesco's Top to Toe of Italy and loved watching him driving around to interesting places, I wanted more of the same.
Although, this DVD is focused on one place only -Venice Francesco's hometown- he is as charming as ever. His knowledge of the past and present of this beautiful city is captivating.

I love his personality and style (although I think he need to change his hairdresser who seems to cut and cut and it's still looks the same!).
Anyway, if you love Italy you will love this.

The Sermons and Collations of Meister Eckhart
The Sermons and Collations of Meister Eckhart
by Meister Eckhart

5.0 out of 5 stars Meister Eckhart [1260-1328] A Mystic for Now, 25 Nov. 2010
For anyone looking for the Love of God, this book is a great help on the way. The sermons of Meister Eckhart are first class, not surprisingly since he was a Dominican priest which is the Order of Preachers.

It is very refreshing to read about God's love for us and how strong this love is:

'Love is strong as death and hard as hell.' Death separates soul from body, but love separates all things from the soul; she will not tolerate at any cost what is not God nor God's.(p.25)

A timeless classic, and if you believe that the Age of Meister Eckhart [1260-1328] was Dark, you only need to open this book to be enlightened.

Ironside Series 1 [DVD]
Ironside Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Raymond Burr
Offered by Gift_Of_Sound

5.0 out of 5 stars Television at its best, 4 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Ironside Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This is television at its best and it is now available in this compact case providing hours and hours of quality viewing.
I had never seen the very first episode of Ironside before, so it was enlightening to find out why Ironside was in a wheelchair and also why his wheelchair was covered in a green fabric.

If you like Perry Mason you will probably like Ironside as well, although, this time Raymond Burr works within the policeforce and has lost some of his good manners, the essence of the man is the same. I could not help comparing Ironside with House, played by Hugh Laurie, they are both grumpy but still liked and respected by their teams.

I hope there will be more series of Ironside and Perry Mason available in this handy format.

Perry Mason: Season 1 [DVD]
Perry Mason: Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Raymond Burr

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! at last something worth watching!, 26 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Perry Mason: Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This series is excellent value for money. You get TEN !!! Discs in ONE case which means you don't need a lot of space to store it.
You also gets hours and hours of pure bliss watching Perry Mason and friends without the interruption of ads.

I hope that all of the Perry Mson Series will be available soon in the same format, unfortunately, only Series One and Two have been adapted to UK standard.
In the meantime, I just have to watch series one and two over and over again.

St. Bridget of Sweden
St. Bridget of Sweden
by Francesca Maria Steele

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for anyone interested in the history of the St Bridget Order, 13 Aug. 2010
This review is from: St. Bridget of Sweden (Paperback)
A lovely little book, it reveals the life and work of St Bridget of Sweden and the history of her Order. This remarkable saint is not much known today, although she is the patron saint of Sweden and Europe. The work God started in her in the C14 is as relevant today as it was then, this book is a great help in understanding the importance of her Order and its place in the Church.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3