Profile for D. R. Prew > Reviews

Baking: A Commonsense Guide
Baking: A Commonsense Guide
by Murdoch Books

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT a commonsense guide, 26 Mar. 2010
Do not buy this book if you are a novice, your confidence will be shot to pieces!!

I brought this book from a book club at my daughters school. I'm a good cook with lots of cooking books, some of the things looked really tasty in here and i couldn't wait to try them out.

I started with a complicated recipe that went horribly wrong, much to my wife amusement. Of cause i blamed the book, but my wife was having none of it, so i tried some of the simple stuff to show i was not at fault.

First up Cinnamon Chocolate Shortbread, my daughter has just made shortbread at school, it's that easy.... Oh dear another disastrous outcome. Straight away you can see there is too much butter compared to flour. Nice picture though, i wonder what recipe they followed.

Next up Chocolate Chip Muffins, not the hardest thing in the world to bake. What a complete mess, i don't even know where to start. I think you would be better off using plain flour with some baking powder, not self-raisin. There is way to much milk, it was a milky mess!! i added another 100g of self-raisin flour just to stop the chocolate chips sinking to the bottom. The whole recipe is a mess, too much butter, milk and chocolate chips compared to flour.

My oven is not at fault, i have an oven thermometer, and other cook books work fine. My scales are digital and in good working order.

The 5 star reviews were probably written by people working for the publishing house. Or people who like looking at the pictures in cooking books (some fabulous pictures in here) but never get round to making anything. I would like to know what they baked to give it 5 stars?

What a waste of time, money and ingredients.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2010 8:58 PM GMT

British Wildlife: A photographic guide to every common species (Collins Complete Guide)
by Paul Sterry

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe i'm just unlucky, 30 April 2009
I brought this book to identify the wildlife in and around my garden, especially the 'pests' eating my plants. I chose this book because of all the good reviews it had of people going out exploring and identifying all the wildlife they came across. Surly it would list the species commonly found in ones back garden, it's not like I'm rummaging through the leaf litter trying to find new specimens.

I have so far looked up 5 different creatures, none of which are in the book. After a lot of Googling for pictures i have identified most of them. Now i'm not a biologist so i might be wrong but is a Mason bee not British, on most of the bee websites it states it's one of our most common bees, that's probably why there are loads in my garden then. Or the Vine weevil that's making holes in my plant leaves, there are loads of websites trying to sell you products to kill them but no mention of them in this book. I still haven't identified a couple of beetles, and a big maggot type thing!!

This is however a beautify illustrated book that looks easy to use, although i've not had that pleasure yet. It also has a handy cover protector. Maybe i've just been unlucky.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2011 2:40 PM BST

Herb & Spice: A Cook's Reference
Herb & Spice: A Cook's Reference
by Jill Norman

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have book for herbs & spices, 13 Mar. 2009
I think everything that needs to be said has been said in the reviews before. If you want to know about herbs and spices this is the book to get, a fantastic book.

Tala Poachette Teflon Rings
Tala Poachette Teflon Rings

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect poached eggs every time, 13 Mar. 2009
These rings are perfect for the job of poaching and frying eggs in any type of pan, they are very sturdy and easy to clean.

How To Use Leftovers: Transform Them into Something New and Delicious!
How To Use Leftovers: Transform Them into Something New and Delicious!
by Quick Easy Guides

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter Rubbish, 6 Jan. 2009
This book if you can call it that is so bad i don't even want to give it 1 star. What you get for your hard earned cash is 2 recipes over 18 pages for left over mash.

Page 13 contains this information "Mix all the ingredients thoroughly"

Page 14 " Preheat the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit"

They have saved this little gem till last, page 35 "Chicken, turkey and ham are best friends with creativity!" next page "These three types of leftovers make variety easy. Serve them up in a different way every night. Casseroles, sandwiches, soups are only a few ways to use these wonderful leftovers. Use them in omelets in the morning, a sandwich at lunch and a tasty soup in the evening to accompany your main course."

That is it, no recipes to make soup or casseroles.

Save your money, Google leftover mash, you will get loads of recipes all for free.

Who ever printed and wasted good paper on this rubbish should be ashamed of themselves.

I'm sending this back for a refund.

There Will Be Blood (2 disc Special Edition) [DVD]
There Will Be Blood (2 disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Day-Lewis
Offered by Qoolist

1.0 out of 5 stars What on earth was that about?, 12 Oct. 2008
I noted the 28 5 star reviews for this film and so looked forward to its arrival from Amazon...what a complete load of rubbish - music drove me nuts and I spent 2 hours waiting for something to happen which might bring the whole thing together - give the film some meaning...nope...it never happened!
I just did not get this film and frankly wonder if those that have given it a rave review were watching something else?
Dont bother with this is my advice but if you still want to see it, I have a very cheap one for sale!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2010 1:06 AM GMT