Profile for Satsumo Polygonal > Reviews

Content by Satsumo Polygonal

Satsumo Polygonal "Sats" (Lake District, UK)

When We Were Young
When We Were Young

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Quality, 10 May 2012
This review is from: When We Were Young (Audio CD)
Twelve year later and this is still one of the best albums I've ever heard. There's nothing quite like it, nothing does what it does quite so entirely and so well. As other have pointed out, there's no duff tracks here. The album has a mixture of emotions, happy and fun, sad and lonely, even bits of comedy and Bach in there, and yet it all fits together. The production is fantastic, the concept is endearing, the execution is almost perfect. For me the highlight of the album is probably 'Want U' with its sweeping soundscape, swaying basslines and potent mix of darkness, lust and nursery rhyme. But there are so many good songs here that, like so much true art, everybody can take different things from this album. What surprises me its still relatively unknown even after all this time. But that only adds to its charm, it was made for the love of music, and I guess that's how people will find it.

Objective-C Pocket Reference
Objective-C Pocket Reference
by Andy Duncan
Price: 6.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Small and perfectly formed, 19 Oct 2011
Like many people who will buy this book, I recently started developing for Apple platforms. After years of coding in C/C++ moving to Objective-C is something of a challenge. I found the Apple documentation of Objective-C overblown and tedious to read (a whole page explaining why you would program with objects for example). This book was exactly what I wanted, a small, concise, no frills guide to Objective-C. A book where you can find information quickly, without wading for pages of waffle about how the author likes to program. It sits on my desk as I write and I use it most days. It's not a guide for beginners, it won't tell you how to program for Mac, iPhone or iPad (or anything else). However, if you don't want your hand held, and you're comfortable using the OS documentation, this book provides all the information you need to program effectively in Objective-C.

Disappear Here
Disappear Here

5.0 out of 5 stars A slight change of style, 31 May 2010
This review is from: Disappear Here (Audio CD)
Hybrid have always had consistent high quality of output. Though 'I Choose Noise' kept up that quality, I was sligthly disappointed by it and felt there was rehashing of a familiar formula from 'Morning Sci-Fi'.

The addition of Charlotte James to the band has created a fresh feel this time. The stand out song is 'Break My Soul', with its soaring torch melodies that you can't help but sing along, it easily matches the likes of 'If I Survive'. The rest of the album is varied and up to the high standards you expect from Hybrid. The difference Charlotte makes is probably most obvious on 'Every Word', a soulful, beautiful and somewhat gentle song, that comes a close second to 'Break My Soul'. The sultry shuffle of 'Salt' and the grungey drive of 'Original Sin' exploit Charlotte's vocal range.

The only let down is 'Take A Fall', which suffers from the bands unfortunate habit of choosing unconvincing vocalists and some akwardly juvenille rhyming in the lyrics. I'm not a fan of 'Can You Hear Me?' or 'Formula of Fear', however both of these songs are well considered by most fans.

Overall, another great Hybrid album.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2011 12:03 AM BST