Profile for H. W. Rowson > Reviews

St Johns Ambulance Finger Dressing 3.5x3.5cm BS-8599 Contents Ref F90111 Each
St Johns Ambulance Finger Dressing 3.5x3.5cm BS-8599 Contents Ref F90111 Each
Offered by Sorte

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, slow delivery., 21 July 2014
Good product, really good product. But extraordinarily ordinary delivery time. You'd bleed out long before. Using some of the St J guys we see at footie matches? Unkind.

Philips CorePro 929000249102 10 Watt E27 Edison Screw LED
Philips CorePro 929000249102 10 Watt E27 Edison Screw LED
Offered by Big Red Toolbox

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright, bright, bright, 31 Dec 2013
In fact, my aged mother, accustomed to the slowly emergent dull glow from the 'old school' low energy bulbs ( at least ten year old technology) complained gently that they were very bright. Love them. Bright but not harsh.

They are a bit directional with light only emerging from the northern hemisphere of the bulb. That's the only -ve.

Dried White Cardamom Seed
Dried White Cardamom Seed
Offered by Surasak

5.0 out of 5 stars Used to be ubiquitous but now almost impossible to find., 28 Nov 2013
This review is from: Dried White Cardamom Seed (Misc.)
I have been looking for white cardamom for a long time to make berbera for Doro Wat, an Ethiopian spice mix and dish respectively.

There was a time when all you could get was white cardamom and green was harder to find and more expensive.

These spices were well packaged and arrived on time and in excellent condition.

Inline lamp switch/light switch 2/3 core BLACK
Inline lamp switch/light switch 2/3 core BLACK
Offered by King's Chandelier & Lighting Accessories

3.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, 7 Nov 2013
This item is almost identical to a switch sold by John Lewis as an own-brand item for less than half the price. Almost, because the JL iteration is white! Three stars do not reflect product quality, but the impact the price has on this purchase. However, the price also reflects reasonable admin and delivery costs, and so I am amending my original views.

More usefully I can describe the assembly difficulties and how to overcome them. The switch is not tiny, but the terminals for the neutral (blue) leads and the earth (yellow & green) are very small indeed. You are required to fix the Neutral and Earth wires respectively, each into single terminals from opposite ends of the terminals. The hole in the tiny terminals is very small indeed and so the task is impossible unless you pull each of the terminals out of their housing (easy to do with a bit of confidence). Even then, forcing each wire into opposite sides of the terminal is a bit miraculous. (Time taken in simple connections is almost always due to fiddly mechanical operations.) It would be easy to crimp connections and discard the terminals, but I persisted with the terminals. Once connected the terminals can be relatively easily rehoused. The Live wires present no difficulties at all. Incidentally, a further option may be to trim the outer casing of your cable without cutting through the cable. Then you cut through the Live wire and connect as efficiently as possible (i.e. with as little exposed wire as possible) to the live terminals and then have to make no Neutral and Earth connections.

Why have I bothered to write this? Because unlike the John Lewis switches, there are no connection instructions.

Küchenprofi 1065062800 Analogue Barbecue Thermometer
Küchenprofi 1065062800 Analogue Barbecue Thermometer

4.0 out of 5 stars First time I cooked with one was a revelation, 18 Aug 2013
The thermometer on my Weber barbecue stopped working because I overheated the barbecue. I have found replacing the thermometer impossible. I wanted to be more adventurous with what I cooked and found that I needed to understand what was going on in different zones of my Barbie with much greater reliability. This works well.

The reason that I only gave it four stars was because the cover glass has discoloured badly and is harder to read now. I have no doubt that it was my fault that it did so but I am sure that I am not alone in a rather cavalier attitude to kit care. It should be catered for!

Alba 24098 Royal Hose Reel
Alba 24098 Royal Hose Reel

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy build quality, 18 Aug 2013
This item seems more expensive than its apparent competition. 'Apparent competition' because, having done quite a lot of research looking at cheaper alternatives, this is actually a step ahead of all of its competition. It is sturdily made, quite easy to assemble with a little care, and looks like it will last.

I have bought cheaper hose reels in the past and replaced cheaper hose reels as they break or frustrate too much in use. The idea should be to buy once and use comfortably and reliably, and with monotonous regularity throughout the summer months. I regretted my cheap choices every time I used them.

I think that this reel fits the bill. After all, the hose and fittings that you put on he reel don't come cheap either. This reel is well designed and pleasant to use.

In Session with Charlie Parker: Tenor Saxophone Bb Edition
In Session with Charlie Parker: Tenor Saxophone Bb Edition
by Charlie Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars A Special Guide to Playing Parker - I do love it!, 30 April 2013
Delivery experience was perfect and rapid.

I have played Parker music before. It can be challenging to make any sort of fist of it. The man was, after all, a genius of his time as a musician, if not as a human being. This selection of 'play-alongs' is relatively short with only six pieces - all well known.

However, the quality of the accompaniment is superb and useful to a struggling virtuoso like me. Each piece is played in four iterations; Full Tempo; Full Tempo as backing tracks; Slow Tempo and Slow Tempo as backing tracks. 'Slow' is the euphemism for quick, but possible.

Additionally, the manuscript is accompanied by some very useful notes on the Bird's style of improvisation for each piece. If you have studied jazz at Music School or university I have no doubt that the notes will seem facile and superfluous. I have not and found the notes compellingly useful.

Stainless Steel Olive Oil Can Dispenser Drizzler - 700ml - Same Day Posting if ordered by 1pm weekdays.

4.0 out of 5 stars Oil can leaked, but swiftly replaced, 15 Jan 2012
If you have ever suffered the rather obvious mishap of a plastic oil bottle close, too close, to a cooker hob this oil can would be a natural purchase for you.The can was exactly what I wanted, but it leaked from the weld connecting the spout to the can which rendered it unfit for purpose. However, after a brief exchange of e-mails with the supplier it was replaced within two days. The replacement does exactly what is expected. It is, after all, just a simple oil container. It dispenses oil in a controlled manner, doesn't leak and looks good. Why only 4*s? It shouldn't have leaked in the first place, but its replacement was hassle free.

Gustav Mahler: Complete Works [150th Anniversary]
Gustav Mahler: Complete Works [150th Anniversary]

5.0 out of 5 stars All you ever wanted, 12 Dec 2011
The music is stunning and so you must suspend any disappointment that you may feel by the packaging. By this I mean that some of the pieces are split between CD's, avoidably in my view. And the CDs are in simple cardboard covers, rather than crystal cases.

But that is what you signed up for. The complete works. And they are gloriously performed. I have no doubt that some will maintain a particular version of the 4th or the 9th, or whatever, may be better but that will be a matter of taste - not quality. In my view.

Flip FOLD FLIP AND FOLD SHIRT FOLDING BOARD. Folds a shirt perfectly in less than 5 seconds.-Blue
Offered by Oxyvita Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars This is perfect for dorks and geeks...., 12 Dec 2011
I guess, like me. I saw Sheldon use one on Big Bang Th and had to have one! My wife refuses to use it, but when I use it to fold, T's, polos and pullovers I have found at least 30% extra space in wardrobes and drawers. And when I pack cases, the space saving is immense. (Unfortunately this piece of kit doesn't make clothes any lighter!)I won't say it saves me time, because my wife folded my clothes before, but it is quick and my clothes seem in better shape. Yes. I am a geek.

Page: 1 | 2