Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for E. Munro > Reviews

Content by E. Munro

E. Munro "E Munro" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Swissvoice Epure Full Eco Cordless Twin DECT Telephone - White
Swissvoice Epure Full Eco Cordless Twin DECT Telephone - White
Offered by HomeandGarden

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful design but not very reliable, 2 July 2016
We bought the white twin set of these phones about 2 years ago. They haven't aged well but have pros and cons:
Positive
- beautiful design with a nice solid feel in the hand, despite the plastic construction. Looks good when on the cradle, and the cables attaching the cradle to the phone plug point are nice and long, and discreet.
- phone is a good size, big enough to tuck under the chin if you've got your hands full.
- internal phonebook holds a good number of contacts and is easy to use (press rocker on the side down to scroll through)
- ring volume is good and ring tones are fine

Negative
- the flashing green light on the side when you've missed a call is infuriating. Scrolling through the missed numbers should be fine, but with the number of missed calls about PPI and car insurance you get during the day, it means the light is always flashing and is a pain to deal with. Also too bright to have the phone anywhere near your bed if flashing lights disturb you trying to sleep.
- after 6 months, one of the screens failed. Sound quality is good but it means the handset has no caller ID or use of the saved contacts.
- after 1 year, the internal components of the other handset came loose so the ringer and beep when pressing buttons are very quiet. One handset currently rattles when moved. The internal (mouthpiece) microphone comes loose every few months and we pop the handset open and unscrew the inside cover to put it back in place.
- occasionally the phone doesn't make a full connection when sitting on the charging cradle. Charging is confirmed by a ping-PING noise, but there is no notification when the connection is broken, so you don't know if the connection has fallen off until you pick up the phone and it's out of battery.
- customer service, when calling about these faults, seems almost non-existent. Nobody responded to our emails and there were no ways of contacting the company other than through their website.

After 2 years we are looking to replace these phones. They were expensive when we first bought them and we would have hoped that they lasted longer, but it was worth having them for their great appearance and nice feel. We'll be going for a large portable phone for our next purchase, based on the experience of having these, but we won't choose Swissvoice again.

Casio F-91WC-2AEF Digital Watch with Blue Resin Strap
Casio F-91WC-2AEF Digital Watch with Blue Resin Strap

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't fault it, 31 May 2016
Colour is true to the picture. Arrived in good time, in authentic packaging (there are some dodgy knock offs out there - this is not one of those). Excellent service and great price.

RJB Stone - Vintage-Inspired Mini Owl Keyring - Assorted Colours
RJB Stone - Vintage-Inspired Mini Owl Keyring - Assorted Colours
Offered by UniStore

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but a bit fragile, 31 May 2016
A beautiful keying that looked just like the picture and arrived in good time. The bells fell off the bottom in my handbag after 2 days, and the owl came off the chain in my bag after another 3 days. Sewing these back on is not a chore though, and fixed it easily. Worth the price. I'll be getting one to give as a gift (but I'll be sewing it a bit before giving it).

Tefal Freemove Cordless Steam Iron FV9970
Tefal Freemove Cordless Steam Iron FV9970
Offered by Luzern

5.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend to anyone, 31 May 2016
Excellent iron. It feels not much heavier than other irons, and is so much freer to use without the restrictive cable. It beeps every 30 seconds or so and needs docking to recharge, but the recharging takes a couple of seconds. A friend bought the slightly cheaper purple version (the only difference I could see is the material the plate is made of) but this iron feels more efficient, and deals with creases better. Worth the extra few pennies. The 'max fill' line is rather hard to find, but once you know where it is, it's fine. The stand attaches to the ironing board with a G clamp but can sit flat on a surface without as well (although is slightly less secure this way). I have been recommending this iron to everybody. It makes the task much easier and it deals well with synthetics, buttons and tricky corners.

The Crafter's Guide to Papercutting
The Crafter's Guide to Papercutting
by Emily Hogarth

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting craft-knife blisters from overuse of this book!, 20 April 2013
I'm already a fan of Emily Hogarth's work and this book is an excellent introduction to papercutting - a hobby I'm looking to develop. I understand the book is very similar to 'Cut Up This Book', and although the author suggests copying or tracing the templates so they can be reused, it's great fun to chop up the book and use it creatively. I'd usually see this as heresy, but hacking at paper is the whole point of this activity, and it feels like a project-y guidebook more than a pristine book that should be taken care of.

The book is full of great ideas, projects, templates and guidance on how to begin. The chapter on tools to use and how best to use scissors and a craft knife/scalpel is proving particularly useful. I would recommend this book to anyone looking to start a simple but rewarding hobby - particularly if you can't get out of the house much. The only down-side is that it would be better spiral-bound rather than stitched paperback. When working on a project, you have to crack the spine of the book so the instructions stay open.

A2 Cutting Mat (450mm X 600mm)
A2 Cutting Mat (450mm X 600mm)
Offered by Unibos

4.0 out of 5 stars Good mat - does what it's supposed to, 20 April 2013
The mat arrived in the post rolled into a tube shape and secured with bands but after leaving it out overnight it flattened just fine. It has an indentation running top to bottom a few inches in from the short edge, and another almost-indentation at the other end of the mat. The rubber of the mat has been crushed or bent in storage leaving a sort of scar in the surface . However, this has no effect on the quality of the cutting side which has accurate measurements and is self-healing. For this price, it is exactly what I was hoping for. I've used it several times and have no complaints. It arrived promptly and in good condition.

Paper Cutting
Paper Cutting
by Laura Heyenga

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational and beautiful, 2 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Paper Cutting (Paperback)
After seeing examples of Emily Hogarth's work on Facebook, I tracked this book down on Amazon. The 19cm x 23.5cm book has a 9-page illustrated introduction to the art of paper cutting and the featured artists, and there's a 2-page foreword by Rob Ryan (surely the current celebrity in this field). The rest of the 170 pages are photographs (some half-page, some full-page) of the spellbinding work of 26 paper-cutting artists. Some images are scans of flat work, some are pictures of gallery installations and others are closeups of 3D work. The variety in these images is often surprising. It's exciting to see the possibilities of this fundamentally simple technique and the levels of skill that can be achieved. The imagination that some of these artists must have is really inspiring.

Featured artists are: Peter Callesen * Heather Moore * Zoe Bradley * Nikki McClure * Kako Ueda * Yulia Brodskaya * Su Blackwell * Cindy Ferguson * Helen Musselwhite * Laura Cooperman * Yuken Teruya * Rob Ryan * Justine Smith * Beatrice Coron * Mia Pearlman * Molly Jey * Hina Aoyama * Casey Ruble * Chris Natrop * Matthew Sporzynski * Thomas Allen * Emily Hogarth * Patricia Zapata * Emma van Leest * Andrea Mastrovito * Elsa Mora.

Particularly gorgeous are Su Blackwell's haunting book illustrations which have been 'pulled-out' into 3D scenes in almost a pop-up way. Emily Hogarth's delicate and elaborate patterns take ages to explore on the page. Peter Callesen's white paper sculptures are worth buying the book for. This would be a great gift but I bet once you look through it, you'll want to keep it for yourself.

Panasonic RP-HTX7AE-C Lightweight Retro Style Monitor Headphones with Single Side Cord and One Side Monitoring System- Cream
Offered by amy's Schätze

5.0 out of 5 stars You will look GOOD in these headphones, 2 May 2012
I've had these for around a year now and they're still good as new.
They're great - not too massive but big enough to block out a lot of ambient sound.
The cushioning on these means I can wear them for several hours at work doing audio editing and there's no pain or pinching.
And people have come in from neighbouring offices to marvel at how very retro and gorgeous they are.
My BOSE/Sennheiser-obsessed husband even made 'ooohs' of approval at both the look and the quality of these, and I've caught him wearing them. Nuff said.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog
The Elegance of the Hedgehog
by Muriel Barbery

2.0 out of 5 stars Unappealing characters, but maybe try it for yourselves, 2 May 2012
I so rarely leave books unfinished but this one made me want to slap the two main protagonists. Their self-obsessed intellectual noodling eventually convinced me to shelve this book after several chapters. I have read the reviews here and know that Something eventually happens but despite this I have left the majority unread.

I convinced myself that I don't *have* to like the narrators. It can be thrilling to follow the adventures of those unattractive souls who in real life I would walk away from. But I came to the conclusion that I was spending my free time with people who in real life I would leave well alone.

When I pick this book back up again I'll write an update if I manage to soldier through it. If you have more stamina than me, I'm assured it's worth reading but if you're easily put off, leave it to others to get to know these unbearable characters.

Cook Express
Cook Express
by Heather Whinney

5.0 out of 5 stars My go-to recipe book, 28 April 2012
This review is from: Cook Express (Hardcover)
What this book excels at is having a huge selection of simple-to-follow, non-fussy recipes that nearly always turn out like the picture.

The layout is a little odd and does vary from the standard 'starter, main course, dessert' layout which takes some getting used to. I'll always find a great soup idea in the 'Batch and Freeze' section. Posher dinner parties are catered for with menu suggestions. The sections on how to do roasts and then what to do with the leftovers have been a total godsend. Best of all, everything's illustrated with clear photos, even the contents pages at the front and the menu planners. There are so many recipes of every genre, complexity and scale that I sit and have a read-through of this book every few months to remind myself what's there.

Whilst there are some dishes that taste really exciting, most of these recipes are fairly British/European in flavour - few very exotic ingredients (occasionally tamarind or fish sauce required) or things you can't buy at your local Sainsburys. There are some fantastic soups, stews, bakes, barbecue ideas and party food recipes. This is the book I go to when the usual rota of meals gets a bit dull and I want to add another family favourite. It's also the book I go to for inspiration when my picky father-in-law visits and wants something good, unfussy and plain!

My copy of this is a tattered, spattered, well-used volume that inhabits the easiest-to-reach spot on my cookbook shelf. I recommend it evangelically to everyone I know, especially those who just want dinner they can do after a long day at work using ingredients from the local grocers, and those who want to impress picky in-laws.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2013 2:37 PM GMT