Profile for Sonia Wakefield > Reviews

March of the Penguins - Luc Jacquet [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Luc Jacquet
Offered by d-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 4 Feb. 2014
Shared with my class of 11 year olds to base some literacy work on. They loved it and were enthralled!

ToddlerCalm: A guide for calmer toddlers and happier parents
ToddlerCalm: A guide for calmer toddlers and happier parents
by Sarah Ockwell-Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars All sounds very lovely but..., 4 Feb. 2014
Having read the good reviews on here I was looking forward to reading this book to learn some strategies for dealing with my 15 month olds behaviour a little better. I was hoping to find some useful tips and ideas for overcoming problems and continue creating a happy environment and positive relationships.
I liked some of the ideas about viewing their behaviours differently and realising a toddler's frustration. I'm also not a fan of controlled crying and the like- which this book is strongly against. However, some of the studies and scenarios seemed to be scaremongering and at best impractical. For instance, if your child is not coping at nursery, postpone it to meet your child's needs (not helpful for those who have no choice but to work); recommendations about breast feeding up to 2 years old to strengthen the bond; realising that many toddlers don't sleep well and just view it as not a problem or unusual (very difficult when you have spent a year and a half with very broken sleep); try not to give rewards or sanctions; scary stories about children who stopped breathing and lost consciousness in a tantrum to name but a few. Overall not much practical advice other than- you're not alone and it does get better. The few bits of advice I could find were more just common sense - strong bedtime routine etc. All in all a bit too softly, softly and woolly for me! So.. I still have a poor sleeper, bossy toddler who smacks her mummy when she doesn't get her own way. I now know I should just realise her frustration....but still don't know what to do about it! Ho hum!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 10, 2014 11:17 PM GMT

20 To Make: Knitted Tiny Bears (Twenty to Make)
20 To Make: Knitted Tiny Bears (Twenty to Make)
by Val Pierce

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely original bears, 24 Jan. 2011
Having bought quite a few knitted animals books, this is by far my favourite. Lots of original designs. The strawberry teddy bear and lady bird are the best. I would definitely recommend it.