Profile for K. Petersen > Reviews

Content by K. Petersen

K. Petersen "Ken" (Hemsby,UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Magix Youcast - Start your Broadcast (PC)
Magix Youcast - Start your Broadcast (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Professional Broadcasting for the Broadcasting Illiterates, 16 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I needed to produce some amateur broadcasts but they needed to look professional. Without this, easy to use, program, I might have succeeded in producing a broadcast but, it would most certainly have had the emphasis far more on the amateur end of the scale. I would thoroughly recommend this to anybody, such as myself, who feels out of their depth with this type of production. I would imagine that it would also be worthwhile if you have greater abilities than myself: why waste time and effort on the technicalities when this can do that for you, allowing all the effort to go into content?

Magix Audio Cleaning Lab 2017 (PC)
Magix Audio Cleaning Lab 2017 (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Digitised Vinyl Cleaning for the Uninitiated., 22 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
How ever much we oldies might eulogise about the true tones of vinyl recordings, there are two points that have to be conceded; the first is that digital is more convenient, and the second is that, when transferred to the digital environment, the crackles of old vinyl become irritating. I have a friend, who does transfers on a professional level and, the results are terrific. The cost, however, is less so, resulting in only the most special of my LP's finding their way onto my PC - until now.

In my hands, this programme is slightly inferior to the professional product but, I am entirely willing to believe that, with some tweaking, the results could be equally impressive. I do not want to spend my time manually adjusting the filters and simply run the standard settings. For my amateur attempts, I would score 9.5 out of 10 (where 10 is the professional product): for me, that's good enough and I am busily converting stacks of 'classics' into a clear sounding modern format. Am I happy with this disc? You bet!

Office 2016 For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech))
Office 2016 For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech))
by Wallace Wang

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book That Makes the Programme Sing..., 22 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have long been an admirer of the 'for DUMMIES' series of books. They take a topic and cover it, from the most basic level to a pretty high level of complexity. The style of highly illustrated blocks of information means that, if you come in with some knowledge, you can skip through to where your wisdom becomes hazy. These books may be used as a page one to the end course or, as a reference work when problems arise. It is in this latter capacity that I find this tome a vital ally.

The Office range of products are an impressive group of tools, capable of creating highly professional documents, databases and presentations. The problem that I have, is that I tend to use it for basic things and only seldom wish to do something 'clever'. If I ever knew how to achieve my ambition, you can guarantee that I will have forgotten the details: bring forth 'Office 2016 for DUMMIES'. Oh, and don't worry if you, like me, are running an ancient version of Office, the vast majority of the structure is the same.

Microsoft Office, without the 'Office for DUMMIES' book is just a modest word processor: with this book, it becomes the all encompassing tool that it was designed to be...

RDX Maya Hide Leather Boxing Gloves Gel Sparring Glove Punching Bag Mitts Training Muay Thai F7
Offered by B2Fitness

5.0 out of 5 stars Knockout Gloves, 24 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My, adult, son bought a punch bag recently, with the intention of getting fit. The bag came with a pair of boxing gloves and he duly gave it a 'good bashing'. After a few days, he noticed that his wrists were aching and reduced the use of said punch bag until it became a redundant addition to the family; standing in the corner accusing him, and me of being too unfit to go three rounds with an inanimate opponent.

In an act of desperation, I acquired a pair of these gloves. It was immediately apparent upon opening the box, that these were nothing like the flimsy faux leather items supplied with the bag. They were substantial, without being bulky. They fitted like.. well, a glove and provided a level of protection about which the now redundant supplied gloves could not even dream. Suddenly, the punch bag looked far less ominous: it shrank into the corner trying to look innocent.

After a few days of showing it who is the boss, the initial purchase is looking far less of a waste of money... and the wrists? Never felt stronger. Now, who is the World Champion Heavyweight Boxer and when can we meet? (OK, I was only thinking of offering him a toast to his success, but you get the idea!)

TTIP: The Truth about the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership
TTIP: The Truth about the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership
by Gabriel Siles-Brügge

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably the Most Important Book That You Will Read This Year, 22 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Did you watch any of the 'Jaws' series of films? Yes, I know that I am showing my age but, if you did - as aged repeats on television, obviously - then did you, like me, find the first one to be the most scary?

It was made on a very tight budget and, in the pre-digital effects era, the shark was just too expensive to put on screen. The implied existence of this mean killer left the imagination to create fear far beyond that possible from the latex monster of the sequels, or indeed the digital monsters now regularly terrorising the local cinema. This book reminded me of this situation because, there has been a great deal of debate about TTIP; much of it threatening the end of civilisation as we know it. This book does not follow the trend and is FAR more terrifying for it.

TTIP, for anyone who doesn't know, is a proposed deal between the EU and the USA allowing free access to each other's markets. Proponents assure us that this would lead to a great increase in business and money flowing like wine to us all. Detractors suggest that the money will flow to a select few (1% to be precise!) and that the rest of us will see our government's ability to set safety laws on such issues as the use of GMO crops, expunged.

This book tries to take a reasoned view and says that both of these positions are greatly exaggerated by their believers. This leads to a slightly apoplectic read, probably for people on either side of the divide but, there is enough signs of concern to wake up the most un-political of reader. Whether you think that TTIP is the saviour of mankind or capitalism's final cruel twist, this book is for you AND, if you hold no particular views upon the subject, then it is a MUST READ!

Lower East Polo Shirt Regular Fit Piqué in various colours, black, 2XL
Lower East Polo Shirt Regular Fit Piqué in various colours, black, 2XL

5.0 out of 5 stars A Shirt Amongst Shirts, 11 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This shirt does exactly what it says on the blurb: it is a sensibly priced, decent leisure shirt. It exudes quality, is comfy to wear and makes even my strange body look good (well, in my case, goodish!)

The care instructions are of a type that even I couldn't mess up and it didn't turn the rest of my wash black. The perfect shirt.

Leading Sustainable Change: An Organizational Perspective
Leading Sustainable Change: An Organizational Perspective
by Rebecca Henderson

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dance Band on the Titanic has Struck Up: Let's Hope the Iceberg Survives, 20 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For too long the Climate Debate has been seen as a battle between left-wing would be hippies and those sensible chaps of big business, who fear a loss of profits. The World will not change until this attitude changes. We must all work together to keep temperature increases below 2 degrees Centigrade. Let us be clear, if we don't, the World will survive but the human race, whether hippy or business guru, will not.

The cover of this book shows a small green shoot in various stages of growth and this is a good visual metaphor for what is just beginning to happen. The more enlightened members of the business community are starting to realise that Climate Change IS real and will affect them and, the even more enlightened, are seeing, not a series of ever greater costs, but a means to make money from leading the revolution. Whatever your and my feelings about capitalism, this is a separate battle and it is important, firstly, to ensure that we will all be around to fight it.

This book is an important tool in encouraging all businesses to realise that Global Warming is not going to go away, without concerted action from every man, woman and child on the planet. It does not fall into the trap of preaching (as I might), but deals with the issue in a pragmatic, business-like fashion. I would like it to be more strident, but one must recognise that the Titanic could not turn on a sixpence. We must just hope that the whole human race recognises the iceberg is in more danger than the ship, before it is too late.

TP-LINK NC220 WiFi Cloud Security Camera/Range Extender/Home Monitor Indoor (24/7 Day and Night Security Monitor, iOS or Android with tpCamera App View, Email Alert Notification, Wi-Fi Extender)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ornathological CCTV of the Highest Order, 10 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This camera sits by my window, looking out at my bird table. It is not a security measure: I expect no attack from that direction. I equally expect that every time my head pops up to look at the visitors to said avian fast food station, they disappear faster than the Enterprise in warp drive. This little camera enables me to view their antics unobserved.

I have a different brand of camera which I affixed near the front door, for security purposes, and it was the Devil's own job to persuade it to issue any form of picture to my PC. I was, therefore, somewhat trepidacious about setting this one up. It came as a pleasant surprise when it worked first time - and has continued to function perfectly ever since.

This camera provides good crisp images and would be ideal for a more sensible role in protecting one's home and comes thoroughly recommended (by me, at least).

Anthologia
Anthologia

5.0 out of 5 stars The King of Punk Poetry Still Reigns, 22 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Anthologia (Audio CD)
What can I say? You've got to love JCC. Here are three CD's packed with some of his best stuff and, if that doesn't make you rush out to buy this, then perhaps the equally fantastic DVD will.

Social Psychology: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Social Psychology: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by Richard J. Crisp

5.0 out of 5 stars A Glimpse into the Mysteries of the Workong of Social Relationships, 22 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have yet to find one of this series of books which doesn't fascinate me. This one is a 'Very Short Introduction to Social Psychology'. One of the things that always amazes me is that the series takes a large topic and in around 100 pages (this one runs to 110), gives an excellent, broad brush, introduction.

The book does not expect any level of pre-knowledge of the subject but, because of its overview style, it is more reassuring than detrimental if a known area is covered. This book goes from the early days of Social Psychology, in the wake of the second World War, to the latest thinking. It, obviously, does not give enough information to be considered a major text book but, is quite sufficient for the interested amateur.

If you have ever wondered how people can act as they do; are you confused by terrorists, amazed at how far people will go along with a preposterous idea, amazed at people's ability to seemingly hold a variety of views at odds with each other? Then this book will help you to understand what is going on.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18