Profile for jamo > Reviews

AS Physics AQA Student Book
by CGP Books
Price: 9.00

1.0 out of 5 stars waste of time, 11 Jun 2014
I bought this because I wanted to learn A level physics. The book is tiny and doesn't cover anything in detail. it claims to be a ''complete course'' but if anyone could pass A level physics with this book alone I would be very surprised. its fine as a summary for people who dont like taking notes but as a learning text its rubbish. I read the whole thing in one afternoon. Im pretty sure you cant cover A level physics in one afternoon

La Cucaracha [DVD]
La Cucaracha [DVD]
Dvd ~ Eric Roberts
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 2.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Surprise, 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: La Cucaracha [DVD] (DVD)
Ive been meaning to watch this for a while and finally got round to it. I think eric roberts is a unique actor and I like to watch him which is why I checked this out. This is classic roberts for me. I cant decide if he's not very good or a genius, which is why I like him so much. This movie seems rushed and unfinished but in a good way. Its obviously low budget but the script has some realy good moments and the direction and story keep it intriguing and original.
I think a movie like this had potential to be an absolute classic. the idea is good. the performances hint at something special and it almost has that pekinpah atmosphere from the 70's. I think if they had a bit more money and maybe more time this could have been a great film. However I love movies that hint at greatness almost as much as I love great movies and this is definately a forgotten minor gem that deserves attention.

AS-Level Maths AQA Complete Revision & Practice
AS-Level Maths AQA Complete Revision & Practice
by Richard Parsons
Price: 10.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Good summaries, 28 Mar 2014
This book is good at covering the basics in minimal space and is good if you have a good idea of the concepts already. My issue with it, as with all the CGP books is that the examples and methods taught are so much easier than the exam questions. I expect the exam questions to be harder but then they should focus on some hard examples as well as easy ones. I often think I understand everything then the hard questions use concepts that are not covered by the book. Its still a good guide though

HIStory - Past, Present and Future Book 1
HIStory - Past, Present and Future Book 1
Price: 13.09

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, very underrated record, 26 Jan 2014
This album is the last bit of greatness from MJ. Its not a five star record but I love it because its realy interesting lyrically. I realy like how he almost makes a concept album about everything that has been pissing him off, child abuse and all. Critics dont seem to realise that its actually pretty daring for someone this successful to come out with an album like this. It comes across as bitter and angry in many places, and I like Jackson in angry mode. I think a lot of it has stood the test of time. They dont care about us sounds better to me today than when it came out and stranger in moscow has that wonderful beatbox and finishing coda. I think it was Michael Jacksons last great song. I have a real soft spot for this album despite its faults because (for me) it represents MJ giving everything he had and giving us the last of his great talent. Of course he never lost it completely but this was the end for me, and a mean that with much love and respect. The album should be re-evaluated
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2014 1:12 PM BST

Furby Plush (Pink / Purple)
Furby Plush (Pink / Purple)
Offered by Wi-Shop
Price: 164.99

2.0 out of 5 stars My daughter found it boring, 10 Dec 2013
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Furby (Toy)
Bought this for my kids birthday (shes 6) and it was played with for about a day or two. its now sitting in a corner and there's no interest in it whatsoever. The thing with these is - they arn't really very advanced, they don't really do much apart from babble and wiggle about. I was under the impression (for that price) that they actually did something fun. Im sure some kids like them but I wanted to point out that mine found it really boring. I think for this sort of price there much more reliably fun things

Calculus Made Easy
Calculus Made Easy
by Silvanus Phillips Thompson
Price: 18.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book. 'Easy' for some!, 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: Calculus Made Easy (Paperback)
I realy love this book but be aware that the title is very misleading as far as im concerned. I personally found it very hard to get my head round some of the methods and while I managed in the end (it is worth it) I don't consider it easy at all. Maybe im just not as smart as everyone else who read it but I want to make anyone who thinks this will be a shortcut to understanding calculus think twice.
I didnt realise it was 100 years old and it could have been written today. the explanations and style are very good and the examples are varied and often have an actual point. By this I mean they have some relevance to an actual situation as opposed to just numbers and letters. For students who are used to modern teaching - IE learning how to get all the answers right but not actually having a clue what is going on, id recommend this book. I am a big fan of first principle methods and dont like how these are quickly discarded by schools and universities thus leaving students to forget what they are realy doing.
If you buy this just make sure your algebra is of a good standard and that you understand the majority of simplification and substitution methods!

Permanent Shade Of Blue
Permanent Shade Of Blue
Offered by MMT-UK
Price: 7.88

5.0 out of 5 stars yes what they said - a lost gem, 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: Permanent Shade Of Blue (Audio CD)
A realy solid soul/rock album that more people should know about. the songs are all decent or great, the singing is top notch and the production has aged realy well. My friend lent me this CD about 15 years ago and I never gave it back because I liked it so much.
There wasnt a lot of brit soul back in the 90's and most of it wasnt that great but this is a realy good album. It reminds me a bit of prince and other things. What realy makes it stand out is the singing which as i said before its totally up there. pick it up.

commercial zone LP
commercial zone LP

5.0 out of 5 stars Great record, 10 July 2013
This review is from: commercial zone LP (Vinyl)
I just saw this on here by accident and noones reviewed it yet! Im not sure if its still officially available but if you like public image then its a great album. A bit unfinished and demo-ish but has some great songs on it. It is very commercial compared to what came before but it totally works in a way their later albums didnt for me. The music is tuneful and funky. acoustic guitars and less dissonance but its still edgy, strange and creative. This should be properly released as its one of my favourites. Get it by other means until then ;-)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 4, 2013 5:32 PM BST

The Human Centipede 2 (Full Sequence) [DVD]
The Human Centipede 2 (Full Sequence) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Laurence R. Harvey
Offered by bestmediagroup
Price: 5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars boring, 31 May 2013
I liked the first one. it had suspense and was original if nothing else. This is quite well shot in places and looks nice (ahem) in black and white. The problem is its just boring because its all just people being tortured with minimal dialogue and character development. Ok so I dont expect much character development here but a tiny bit goes a long way in horror films. The villan is just really annoying and I was just irritated by him rather than scared. The stuff with his mother was quite fun and well done but the torture sequences just go on for ages and im not really into that. I like nasty stuff dont get me wrong, but this was too repetetive and slow. I hear theres 3 coming out. Hopefully he will move away from extended gross out into more suspenseful scenarios. I doubt it sadly

Bye Bye 17
Bye Bye 17
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 12.70

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good but not quite, 19 May 2013
This review is from: Bye Bye 17 (Audio CD)
This is quite an interesting record from har mar because its certainly the most old fashioned thing he's done.When I heard it was an old school soul record I got exited as im a big fan. The music (IE instrumentation, performances, dynamics etc) are all great. Top notch horn arrangements, bass and all the rest. I dont think its quite up there with the last 3 records songwriting wise though. theres a couple of realy good tunes and nothing that I didnt like on the album but for some reason I kind of miss the modern RnB side. This is strange because I dont realy like modern RnB but when har mar does it I find it better written and performed than the successful acts of the day and its good music.
His vocals on this are overdriven which sounds quite nice but personally I would prefer them cleaner as I rate him as a vocalist. This is funny because this album is on cult records which is ran by the man from the strokes. Har mars vocals actually have the same overdriven sound thats on the first strokes album.
All in all its a good album and definately worth getting. I think he is capable of a realy impressive old fashioned soul album but he needed a couple of great songs on this to get there. As always im glad I checked it out.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9