Profile for jamo > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Out Of Reach [DVD] [2004]
Out Of Reach [DVD] [2004]
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars decent sets for a change. terrible faking though, 11 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Out Of Reach [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
The stunt doubles are realy bad in this movie. The best example is when seagal walks down some stairs and they use a stunt double! they dont even shoot it from behind and you see his face pretty clearly. There are some great sets in this and the Poland location improves the film a lot visually. The final fight is well shot but poorly choreographed. Why did they need a stuntman to perform moves that I could do! I understand that maybe seagal wasnt available so I dont blame the director so much. Its realy annoying that he doesnt care enough to do the fights himself even though he easily could.
The story is ok. the supporting cast is good apart from the kids who are annoying. This could have been a decent movie if steve had just made more effort and they spent more time making the choreography better. These days theres always something wrong with all his movies. Lots of them have good elements but always let themselves down in the end. I wish he would make one good movie a year instead of two half arsed ones. All that said its not awful and hes def done worse.

Dracula (Wordsworth Classics)
Dracula (Wordsworth Classics)
by Bram Stoker

1.0 out of 5 stars Repetetive, long winded drivel! so dissapointed, 10 Oct. 2011
I cannot beleive how much I hated this book as I love dracula as a character in movies. The whole thing is about a bunch of privelidged people talking about how amazing eachother are! that realy is 90% of the book. I found the characters so intensely unlikable that I realy was rooting for old Dracula to just turn up and kill them all sharpish. Chapter after chapter contains monologues about how brave and couragous so and so is and how honourable, perfect, beautiful, intelligent that person was. I was looking for the slightest flaw in any character in the book so that I could start to like them but no, these socialites are all perfect examples of human beings. I hated everyone in this book apart from the count. I hate the way stoker repeats the same ideas/speeches over and over and over and... its awful! it was like being smashed in the head with a stake.
The first act is good, and it does deserve one star for that. It actually is interesting and creepy and made me realise what a good job Copolla did in the movie in capturing it. I also realised why he changed the rest of the story after that - because its terribly boring and very alienating unless you like one dimensional heroic characters. Good job Francis.
Ive read a lot of books from this era so its not the language/attitudes etc that bother me, its just an awful book with some great ideas that could have been condensed to 100 pages and been improved massively.

Seagalogy: A Study of the Ass-kicking Films of Steven Seagal
Seagalogy: A Study of the Ass-kicking Films of Steven Seagal
by Vern

5.0 out of 5 stars Great seagal book, 28 Sept. 2011
This is exactly the right tone for an analysis of steven seagal. Its not making fun of him and it doesnt try to pretend he's marlon brando either. Theres a lot of laughs in this book, some because of how crazy the films are and some because you realise theres more depth to some things than first appear. I always watch seagal flicks late at night on freeview (its always steven seagal season, every week, forever) and always enjoy them. This book is the perfect accompaniment to his movies and it also works if you havnt seen most of them because its describes the plots and analyses them, pointing out all the good stuff. I wonder what Seagal thinks of this book. I hope he likes it because I think its a really well done, respectful tribute that is well researched and fun. my favourite book of this year out of about 10 I read.

The Glimmer Man [DVD] [1996]
The Glimmer Man [DVD] [1996]
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars entertaining seagal flick, 26 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Glimmer Man [DVD] [1996] (DVD)
Ive heard this compared to seven a lot by fans and critics. I didnt think it was similar at all! the only similarity is the gruesome murders, the rest of the story is totally different. Anyway I quite like seagal in these serial killer movies, kill swich was almost good too. This is similar to that movie but has a much better director who doesnt try to be clever. I spotted something that may make fans laugh - the final 'window scene' in this movie shows the villan thrown through a window from 5 different angles. In kill switch they have the exact same scene (early in the film) but they show the stunt from at least 10 angles! its very funny and I think the later version may be a homage to this movie. If it is then I take my hat off, bravo. Seagal is in crazy outfit mode in this one and the weird spiritual stuff is so odd that I liked it. It added to the comedy effect. I dont take most seagal films too seriously and enjoyed this one quite a lot. Its a bit different from the usual revenge ones he does and for me it works just fine. Wayans is decent and while its not exactly gibson and glover, it serves the film pretty well. Good fight scenes, some cheesy but funny one liners, annoying villan. Does what you want from seagal.

Fire Down Below [DVD] [1997]
Fire Down Below [DVD] [1997]
Offered by salestwows

4.0 out of 5 stars underrated film. last classic seagal, 24 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Fire Down Below [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
I think the seagal backlash after deadly ground made critics slate this more than they should have. As his films go - its got some quality fights, his acting is at its best and the romantic interest is actually beleivable. Ive never seen another seagal movie where the lady actually has a decent role and you actually get why they might like eachother. Its funny because this is almost a love story! dont be put off - it still has lots of bar fights etc and steve is still looking good in 1997. If you hate seagal then you shouldnt be reading this. If you like him or can tolerate him this stands out for me as being one of his more original movies. Not my favourite but I was very surprised when I finally watched it yesterday.

Kill Switch [DVD]
Kill Switch [DVD]
Dvd ~ Isaac Hayes

3.0 out of 5 stars Nearly a fun film spoilt by terrible editing, 19 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Kill Switch [DVD] (DVD)
This was nearly a stupid but great B movie! The big problem is that everytime seagal starts fighting - it goes into epileptic, crazy camera mode. There's a lot of ass kicking in this movie and the fights are long and violent (slit wrists, broken bones etc) but they are realy ruined by the dumb modern camerawork. I dont need to see seagal doing more than just slapping someone about. Theres no need to make it more 'exiting' and faster by crazy direction.
The first part when he throws someone out of a window is very funny as they show it like 10 times - that was good and was the only place it worked (for comedy effect). Also the ending is so innapropriate its real funny and I liked that too.
Stupid plot, bad acting (Isaak hayes is fine as always) are all good but why did the director have to destroy what is nearly a top notch crazy B movie?

Michael
Michael
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars dont they have enough?, 14 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Michael (Audio CD)
in short a very substandard 'collection' of tracks. It irritates me that they only put a few on this CD. Obviously its all about money and they want to release a few of these so the fans have to pay more for each one. why not put out a double disc with loads on it? I know a lot of his unreleased stuff. its all out there if you look for it (youtube is a good place to start) and theres much better tracks not on here. This should not be called an album. its an aouttakes compilation, and a stingy one at that!

ZEN and the Art of Mixing
ZEN and the Art of Mixing
by Mixerman

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect mixing book, 7 Nov. 2010
I saw this on the 'Gearslutz' internet forum by chance (I dont go there often) and thought I'd try it because the title sounded like the approach I wanted, IE no confusing technical information and fancy words.
It is extremely clear and well written in a personable style by someone who clearly has the experience. I'm a home based, not very good mixer and I read it in a couple of days and was rarely confused by anything. This was perfect for me as it centres on the approach to mixing, as opposed to 'which are the best plugins?' etc.
I was quite disheartened to learn that getting a great mix usually involves you having money to spend on things like room acoustics and expensive monitors but it's an important lesson I think. The important thing is to use what you have to get the best result possible and this book will point you in that direction.
Its also great for people who want to mix professionally and includes some good tips on how to deal with clients amongst others.
In short if you have no idea about mixing, buy it. If you know about mixing but need a shake up or just a good read, buy it.

Controversy
Controversy

4.0 out of 5 stars an underrated, exellent record, 5 July 2010
This review is from: Controversy (Audio CD)
I like this as much as dirty mind. I think the songs are just as good as that album but it just sounds more cheesy and gay. Thats not a bad thing though because prince is great at that!. Not as innovative as most of his other albums from this period but the songs are catchy and the lyrics are as interesting (and patchy) as anything else he's done. Compared to what he's done recently this is a masterpiece. no disrespect intended, I still enjoy his records.

Day of the Dead [Blu-ray] [1985] [Region Free]
Day of the Dead [Blu-ray] [1985] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Joseph Pilato

5.0 out of 5 stars my favourite romero movie, 20 Mar. 2010
definately the darkest of the dead films and I find it the most creepy by a mile. I love the first 2 also but favour this because of the darker tone. This was made in the classic latex effects era (1985) and a lot of the gore will probably still look good in 20 years, at least until someone finds a way to make CGI look vaguely realistic. I feel that picking your favourite dead movie is quite subjective but for those who like their horror uncomfortable and shorter on light moments this is a winner.
I must mention it does contain one of my favourite acting performances of all time by Joe Pilato. Joe takes 'bad' acting to a whole new level that it actually becomes genius. His performance totally works in conveying a pretty intimidating character who is also hilarious. A classic performance.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11