Profile for jamo > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Bye Bye 17
Bye Bye 17

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good but not quite, 19 May 2013
This review is from: Bye Bye 17 (Audio CD)
This is quite an interesting record from har mar because its certainly the most old fashioned thing he's done.When I heard it was an old school soul record I got exited as im a big fan. The music (IE instrumentation, performances, dynamics etc) are all great. Top notch horn arrangements, bass and all the rest. I dont think its quite up there with the last 3 records songwriting wise though. theres a couple of realy good tunes and nothing that I didnt like on the album but for some reason I kind of miss the modern RnB side. This is strange because I dont realy like modern RnB but when har mar does it I find it better written and performed than the successful acts of the day and its good music.
His vocals on this are overdriven which sounds quite nice but personally I would prefer them cleaner as I rate him as a vocalist. This is funny because this album is on cult records which is ran by the man from the strokes. Har mars vocals actually have the same overdriven sound thats on the first strokes album.
All in all its a good album and definately worth getting. I think he is capable of a realy impressive old fashioned soul album but he needed a couple of great songs on this to get there. As always im glad I checked it out.

Advancing Maths for AQA: Mechanics 1 (M1) (Advancing Maths for AQA 2nd edition)
Advancing Maths for AQA: Mechanics 1 (M1) (Advancing Maths for AQA 2nd edition)
by Sam Boardman

1.0 out of 5 stars Answers are not explained, 15 May 2013
the text is fine and well written but my big issue with this book is that it doesn't explain the answers at all. As is often the case with these books, the questions are a lot harder than the worked examples and this is very annoying when you cant work out how they got their answer. Personally I hate this approach as I buy books to learn, not to make me go out and find solutions on the internet.
Obviously others found it useful but if you are like me and like the answers at the back of the book to be explained then get another book! I will have to buy another and will be checking the back pages this time.

AS-Level Maths for AQA - Core 1: Student Book
AS-Level Maths for AQA - Core 1: Student Book
by Richard Parsons

3.0 out of 5 stars ok but not good for learning from scratch, 7 April 2013
This book has the right content but I studied A level maths from home and think that this book is not good unless its used to supplement school work and things taught in class. It often takes you through easy examples to teach the theory but the questions are often a lot harder at the end of chapters. This is annoying because it would make more sense to me to teach the hard examples and then when you get to the questions they are all easier.
I found that in a couple of cases there were some techniques used that were not even explained in this book. This will be fine for you if you are at school and can ask a teacher but I was irritated that the book does not cover all the necessary details about how things are done. I did manage to use the book in the end but it involved me thinking a lot and using the net. This would be a good thing but when I had an exam coming up I wanted information fast, not to be challenged to spend 30 mins wondering what the guy was doing, only to find out it was something never explained in the previous chapter!

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars horrible. Waste of money, 18 Feb 2013
I agree with all the negative reviews on here. Its very small and tight. Its a bit waterproof but only for about an hour and then it starts leaking. Sadly I find that nearly all these supposed waterproof products are like this. This is the most itchy and uncomfortable hat I have ever tried to wear. It got to the point where I just went out in the rain and let my hair get wet rather than wear it. Rubbish

Scooby-Doo: Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island
Scooby-Doo: Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island
Dvd ~ Jim Stenstrum

3.0 out of 5 stars entertaining enough. Quite scary!, 14 Feb 2013
nothing special but a solid cartoon with a decent story. Be warned! I put this on for my 4 year old and she realy likes it but there was a point where I was like WTF! theres proper flesh decay zombies and voodoo dolls and stuff! I grew up on much worse than this but I did consider turning it off to be honest. I would say its probably best to be careful with little ones. Its to late for me as mine likes it too much haha

AQUAPAC Waterproof Mobile Phone & iPhone Case
AQUAPAC Waterproof Mobile Phone & iPhone Case
Offered by Prime Scuba

2.0 out of 5 stars Fine but VERY overpriced, 15 Jan 2013
I use this and it does work. I went on amazon to see what others thought before my company ordered some. Id like to mention that we got ours for 2 pounds each from the supplier. ill let you work out what the mark up is. when I saw the price my jaw fell open

Fisher Price Imaginext DC Super Friends The Riddler Mini Figure with Car
Fisher Price Imaginext DC Super Friends The Riddler Mini Figure with Car
Offered by US Media Import

3.0 out of 5 stars Who sets the price on these things!, 1 Jan 2013
My kid has this. I didnt buy it luckily as for the money what you get is pathetic. theres no way in hell this is worth even close to twenty quid! it is nice and fairly durable. my son likes it and its fun to play with. I dont know whats heppened since I was a kid but even with inflation the price of this stuff has got out of hand. for a fiver this would be 5 stars

Flash Gordon [DVD]
Flash Gordon [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sam Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars A real comic book, 3 Dec 2012
This review is from: Flash Gordon [DVD] (DVD)
This film has a lot of fans because its cheesy and fun but in fact its also artistically great aswell. I think the set design is realy creative and quite unique. It does look a bit like models but I think people get too caught up in special FX being convincing and dont spend enough time looking at the design. The constant shots of the sky (made with dye thrown in water) look like a moving painting and while they may not look 'realistic' they look brilliant and thats what matters.
I liked all the the actors. I think they all suited the roles very well. This is a comic book adaptation and it feels like a real comic. In modern times the trend has been to make comic adaptations 'intelligant' and give them 'depth' which is all very well but what about making them like a comic sometimes! There are some pretty weird undertones in this film and its actually quite racy and twisted in places, but this is done quite subtley.
The last 30 mins is a bit generic and boring compared to the brilliant first hour because its a pretty standard action sequence that personally doesnt do much for me but the above still makes it a classic that I think needs more artistic respect aswell as laughing respect.

The Dark Knight Rises (DVD + UV Copy) [2012]
The Dark Knight Rises (DVD + UV Copy) [2012]
Dvd ~ Christian Bale

2.0 out of 5 stars Over hyped, Over budget, Boring film, 24 Nov 2012
Must be the only person who thinks the dark night rises is rubbish. So boring and with no sense of humour. bale is good as bruce wayne but embarassing as batman. that voice he does is unforgivable. Bane was played well but where were the steroids!!! thats his whole thing! why did they drop that? PC bull@%** maybe? catwoman was....Ive already forgot her. aside from this pettiness I just found it a stunningly boring film. every generic car chase made my eyelids sink a little more. Ive seen creative action sequences in direct to DVD films that make all the money pumped into these look absurd. Budget doesnt buy exitement. I do like ponderous films that make me think and I dont actually want just action at all. Its just theres nothing of any interest to me happening anywhere in the film, theres no weirdness, no S&M, no GOTHam. Felt like Nolan was trying to combine the fast and the furious with citizen kane and the results were not funny. Im not watching ANY more comic superhero films now AT ALL.
Burtons were good and I think as the years go by I realise how original they were compared to this stuff. I know many will disagree but thats my honest opinion as a batman fan and a film fan. In one word - 'bland'
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2012 9:44 AM GMT

Universal Soldier 3 [Blu-ray]
Universal Soldier 3 [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Jean-Claude Van Damme
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA

3.0 out of 5 stars good sequel but needs more dolph and jean claude, 28 Oct 2012
I definately liked this film and for a straight to video action film its much better than many. My issues with it are that theres not enough screen time with van damme and lundgren who I actually rate in this series. I remember the original when I was 11 and found their performances quite creepy and effective. They are both on form here but theres too much time spent on newer actors who are not very interesting. I dont realy know why. perhaps they couldnt afford them for the whole 90 mins?
The fight scenes are pretty good and I liked the colour composition in a lot of scenes. It has a grey gloomy vibe that I enjoy. The direction is good and overall its worth watching. I like the way the two actors have aged and become all haggard and worn out (but still in shape)as it makes them more beleivable for me. I think they have gotten better over the years.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9