Profile for R. Driscoll > Reviews

Content by R. Driscoll

R. Driscoll (Saffron Walden, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
ECCO Women's Trace Felt Snow Boots, Birch, 7 UK
ECCO Women's Trace Felt Snow Boots, Birch, 7 UK
Offered by Runmarkt

5.0 out of 5 stars Woolly and Wonderful, 23 July 2016
These boots are so comfortable and beautiful, I love them. I bought them to wear on my winter holiday to Finland in February and I suffered from no frozen toes at all. Can't wait for it to be winter again! On second thoughts, yes I can.

Mofun® 2 In 1 Flat 8 Pin and Micro USB 2.0 Charging Sync Cable for IPhones & Androids, Quality Noodle Flat Style with Dust Caps, Ultra Strong

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 23 July 2016
The iPhone charger part became loose after only a short time of use.

Hush Puppies Janessa, Women's Ballet Flats, Brown (Tan Leather), 7 UK (41 EU)
Hush Puppies Janessa, Women's Ballet Flats, Brown (Tan Leather), 7 UK (41 EU)

4.0 out of 5 stars There's Pain In The Offering, 23 July 2016
The product description states the shoes I ordered were UK size 7, european size 41. I think that the UK size is correct, however the european size is incorrect. I usually wear shoe sizes 6, 6.5 or 7. In the european sizes I wear 39 or 40. I have never worn 41 and I was concerned that these shoes might be too big. When I first put them on they felt very comfortable and even a bit loose. I decided to keep them and wore them around town for a day and they absolutely tore into the back of my ankle! I think it might be the shape of the shoe around the top edge and I believe they will soften, but it will take a few more days of pain. My toes were comfortable all the while, but they are not a size 41... especially when it's 30 degrees outside and your feet are swelling up! They seem to be well made and the soles are pretty!

Casio Children's Watch Casio Collection LW-200D-6AVEF
Casio Children's Watch Casio Collection LW-200D-6AVEF

3.0 out of 5 stars Impossible links, 17 Oct. 2014
I bought this watch for my 11 old daughter last christmas. First she thought it was ugly, but then she was won over by the many things that it does and declared she loves it. There is a stop watch and an alarm that have been used much.
Before I gave it to her I had to adjust the strap as it was miles too big. That was very, very, very difficult! I couldn't find any instructions anywhere on how to do it. I did manage it somehow, after hours of frustrated fiddling, but some of the links didn't look so brand new after I'd finished.
Two things have happened to the watch since she has had it; the safety catch that keeps the two ends of the strap joined when you unfasten it, snapped and broke at the hinge. She can still do up the clasp, but it undoes itself every once in a while and the watch falls off. The other thing is to do with the links I tampered with; now they too come apart and she has to push the pins back in to reassemble the links. So although the watch is still going fine, the malfunctioning strap makes it a miracle she hasn't lost it long ago.
Perhaps if we jointly had been more gentle with the strap all would still be good, but as it stands I'll be looking for a new watch for this christmas. Titanium maybe?

Revolution in World Missions
Revolution in World Missions
by K P Yahannan

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Perspective., 9 July 2011
I received a copy of this book for free from the organisation Gospel for Asia. I have read it trough quickly and with tears. I've been thoroughly moved by it's message and it has caused me to rethink my purpose and calling in life.

I'm going to pass it on to as many people as I can, so that they too can catch K.P. Yohannan's vision and partner with the national missionaries in their work of preaching the gospel to all the nations as per Matthew 24:14.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2015 12:00 AM GMT

Ride n Roll - Ladybird
Ride n Roll - Ladybird

5.0 out of 5 stars Forever Friend, 21 May 2011
This review is from: Ride n Roll - Ladybird (Toy)
My daughter is now eight years old. I bought her this ladybug when she was one years old. The old bird is still going strong!

When my daughter first had this her legs didn't reach the ground, but she would sit on it and hold on tight and two people would push her from one end of a room to the other. Great fun! Obviously this would not be such speedy fun if you have carpets. We have wood and lino, so this is perfect.

There are five wheels on this ladybird and it spins right round, so once your legs reach the ground you can easily manoeuvre your self around. The construction is very good, nothing has broken in seven years of use by children of various different sizes. Even big kids that come around now often sit on it because it is so comfortable.

There is an other ladybird sold here which is a similar product. My kids cousin had one of those. There is no comparison, this one is miles better! This one is a real solid beast, the other one is very light and smaller. The whole body of this ladybird is one big piece of dense foam. The other ladybird only has a thin layer of foam covering the body.

This is one of the best birthday presents I have ever bought my kids, highly recommended.

Conversations with God, Book 1: An Uncommon Dialogue
Conversations with God, Book 1: An Uncommon Dialogue
by Neale Donald Walsch

1.0 out of 5 stars Who is the Great I AM?, 3 July 2007
Prior to purchasing this book I tried to glean some idea of what it was about from the reviews here on Amazon. Apart from the fact that it made some peoples heats sing and that others thought it nonsense, I didn't know what it was about. I am writing this review to give an idea of the actual message of this book.

Early on in this book (p.8) the god conversing with the author asserts that the following are not authoritative sources of information on truth about God; Leaders. Ministers. Rabbis. Priests. Books. The Bible.
This book however, it is implied, is an exception to that rule. (p.68) The author asks god wether this book is to become: "holy scriptures"? The only obstacle perceivable to god is that the language is too conversational, too contemporary. In practice this god does recommend using 'Conversations with God' as holy scriptures and Instructs (p.120): 'Over and over again, read it. Until you understand every passage. Until you are familiar with every word. When you can quote its passages to others, when you can bring its passages to mind in the midst of the darkest hour...'

The core of what the author is teaching can be found on p.22-28.
Namely: in the beginning there was only god. This god wanted to experience himself, so he divided himself into portions. Then we, the small portions, spirits, caused ourselves to forget who we really are and entered the physical universe. Our job now is to re-member [sic] who we are.
What follows is that as there was only god to begin with there is still only god. Nothing which is bad, wrong or evil actually exists. There are no dos and donts and there is therefore no judgement and no hell. Just to make us fully appreciate the implications of this we read (p.61): 'I do not love "good" more than I love "bad". Hitler went to heaven. When you understand this, you will understand God.'

This god says the Bible is not an authoritative source of information on God. So he keeps coming back to the Bible throughout this book to reinterpret key events in the Bible to fit into his own world view. "The fall of Adam", he tells us (p.55)" was actually his upliftment-the greatest single event in the history of humankind." Jesus crucifixion was not for the sins of the world but so that he could say (p.52): "Look what I can do!" And Jesus didn't suffer (p.107): "The reason the true Master does not complain is that the true Master is not suffering..."

In order to fit sickness, disability and suffering into this world view this god tells us that it is all of our own choosing. As gods we can choose the circumstance into which we are born. Each person therefore has only got himself to thank for the situation they find themselves in (p.46). Beyond the circumstances we are born into we can bring things such as sickness and poverty upon our selves by wrong thinking.
Which brings me to another point 'Conversations with God' makes. Although you can have a conversation with god he/she will not do anything for you or give you anything. God just observes as you create your own experience for your self. It is left to the 'universe' to deliver what you create; "like a genie in a bottle" (P.93, 178) through what you think and say. But watch what you say! if you say you want something you will be left wanting. To get results that correspond with the fact that you are god you must use the magic words: I AM.

This is obviously a very hard concept for a human being to grasp, but the god in this book gives us one example to rally our spirits on: Jesus (p.196). He did it. He understood he was God and doing so gave us an example of how to embrace our divinity. But god assures us; we mustn't worry about not getting it, we have plenty of time! Many lifetimes in-fact. The author himself has been reincarnated 647 times precisely. He is on his 648th life at the moment.

I have here tried to describe the message as clearly as possible, but the book itself is full of contradictions.

`Conversations with God' also spends a lot of time exhorting the joys of sex and the benefits of money which to me seemed questions that the author was eager to have god explain his views on. The answers given are contrary to the Bible.

I believe this book to be exactly what many people want to hear. It states (p.7):'The only way to move forward is to ask yourself, "What would happen if everything I thought was 'wrong' was actually 'right'?".
Then again; What if God is still who He says He is in the Bible and I am in-fact, a sinner?
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2014 8:34 AM GMT

Divorce and Remarriage in the Church: Biblical Solutions for Pastoral Realities
Divorce and Remarriage in the Church: Biblical Solutions for Pastoral Realities
by David Instone-Brewer

2.0 out of 5 stars Does the Bible really say what it seems to be saying?, 17 Jan. 2007
A friend of mine bought this book for me at her pastors recommendation. She worries about me, as I had said that I didn't think I would ever remarry after my divorce three years ago from my husband. She thought I was being too hard on my self, and a bit of a martyr.

This book is written by a man who himself is in a happy first marriage, and is able to report that neither has any member of his family been divorced. He says he has written this book for those Christians he has seen as a minister whose marriages had broken up and whose remarriages God appears to be blessing and for those who are in destructive marriages who feel they are not allowed to divorce.

My impression on reading this book was that David Instone-Brewer's heart had been moved by the suffering and injustice he saw, and he already knew what would be the fair and kind thing to teach in these situations. I felt constantly, as I read this book, that he was doing amazing acrobatics of reasoning to make the bible say what he felt it ought. It would have been easier for him if he wasn't a Christian but a humanitarian and he could have disregarded the Bible and gone with his gut instinct.

It is made very clear to the reader that the author is a foremost scholar with the latest information and understanding into first century Judaism. As he is in the know, the reader is expected to take his word, as he writes comments like: "The most likely answer is that he (Jesus) did not need to say anything - or he did say something but the Gospel writers did not think it was necessary to record it - because the principle was so universally accepted that there was no dispute about it." This about wether Jesus taught there were other grounds for divorce except adultery. Instone-Brewer admits that he is surprised by Jesus' omission, but he ploughs on ahead anyway, sticking to his assumption that Jesus accepted divorce on grounds of neglect and abuse as well.

One of Instone-Brewer's points about whether a person should be allowed to remarry is based on Paul saying "A wife is not to depart from her husband. But even if she does, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband." (1 Cor 7:10-11) He has reasoned form this that the guilty party must remain unmarried WHILE they make an attempt at reconciliation, but if they are not able to reconcile, they are then free to remarry. He never explains what he has done with the word OR in Paul's teaching.

Instone-Brewer gives the impression he is sticking very closely to scripture in his reasoning, and takes great pains to explain each of his four valid reasons for divorce, but as the book goes on it becomes apparent that by stretching these exceptions there could be found valid reason for divorce in practically any situation. And as for remarriage after divorce, regardless of the validity of the divorce, he can only come up with only one obstacle; the church should not marry a divorcee to the person he/she committed adultery with while he/she was still in their previous marriage.

This book seems to have been written with the idea in mind that remarriage is some kind of a human right, and that not being able to remarry is an unreasonable punishment. Divorce is not after all, as the author says, the unforgivable sin. However, Jesus and Paul both, were quite in favor of singledom when circumstances called for it!

Finally I come to God and Israel. Instone-Brewer underpins his teaching with his understanding that we serve a God who himself is a divorcee. That could have been the only point he had to make, if it were so. If our God could not hang in there, then surely we can't be expected to either!?

(Jer 3:8) "Then I saw that for all the causes for which backsliding Israel had committed adultery, I had put her away and given her a certificate of divorce..."

However, it is better not to read the Bible in single verses, and sure enough, four verses later God is calling them back. In verse 14 He says: "Return, O backsliding children," says the Lord; "for I am married to you..."

I serve a God who is faithful to his promises, and with his help I intend to be so also.

I give two stars as I found some of his explanations of historical practices very interesting and informative, although I could not agree with all the conclusions he drew from them.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2015 11:34 AM GMT

Abandoned to God
Abandoned to God
by David McCasland

5.0 out of 5 stars What a man!, 19 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Abandoned to God (Paperback)
I love the book 'My Utmost for His Highest' and must have gone on about it too, as my friend bought me this book for my birthday.
It has been wonderful getting to know the man behind my favourite book. (Turns out he didn't write it however! It was compiled by his wife after his death from notes she took of his teachings over the years.)
Having read this story of his life his words in 'My Utmost for His Highest' seem even more full of meaning. Now I know that the man who said them also lived them, and didn't just preach them to others.
It is good to have someone show me how it is done! Oswald Chambers is a deep well of wisdom straight from Gods heart.
The lessons to learn from his life are numerous; my challenge to be getting on with is not to worry but to trust God in everything. Carefully Careless Oswald Cambers said.

The Ishbane Conspiracy
The Ishbane Conspiracy
by Angela Alcorn

3.0 out of 5 stars The A to Z of spiritual health and safety for teenagers, 5 Feb. 2004
This review is from: The Ishbane Conspiracy (Paperback)
I picked up this book as I have read Randy Alcorns book Deadline and really enjoyed it.
The Ishbane Conspiracy is written as a warning and as encouragement in the various tricky situations teenagers, and indeed all of us, might find ourselves in. From unwanted pregnancy to eating disorders to the occult. It feels as if the writers have tried to fit in every single potentially hazardous situation they could come up with.
Every other chapter gives the reader a glimpse into what is happening in the spiritual realm whilst the teenagers struggle their way through life. Two demons write letters to each other, as they do, discussing their tactics and strategies on how to deceive and destroy the unsuspecting kids. Sometimes this gets a bit frustrating as it doesn't give much credit to the readers intelligence and ability to see the obvious.
However I did enjoy the book, I even shed a tear at one point. I agree with the message Mr Alcorn and his daughters are conveying; it is good to be reminded that more goes on in this world than meets the eye.

Page: 1 | 2