Profile for J. Rowe > Reviews

Content by J. Rowe

J. Rowe "tiptreejen" (Brighton)

SAMSUNG 3 Pin UK Super Fast Mains Charger for Galaxy S6/Note 4 - White
SAMSUNG 3 Pin UK Super Fast Mains Charger for Galaxy S6/Note 4 - White
Offered by Every Day Sales

5.0 out of 5 stars Great service, 18 April 2016
Arrived really quickly and as expected.

Curry Spice Kit 10 Spices- FREE UK POSTAGE World Class Quality (Perfect Refills For An Authentic Indian spice Tin)
Offered by Indiabazaar

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent service and product!, 7 April 2016
Excellent product and delivery. Received the next day and with a great selection.

Change One Thing!: Make One Change and Embrace a Happier, More Successful You
Change One Thing!: Make One Change and Embrace a Happier, More Successful You
by Sue Hadfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and realistic, 9 Jun. 2014
What a great little book. Some very practical advice and what I particularly appreciated about its whole ethos is that it's only asking you to make realistic steps.

Early on, one of the things that resonated with me was the anecdote about Iain Banks who had written to other authors, before his impending death, to tell them he thought their work was great. The suggestion to do similar without such an urgent deadline over your head has encouraged me to write letters more, one of which - a letter to an author whose work I'd admired - has led to them offering help with a creative project I'm working on.

Brilliant Positive Thinking (Brilliant Lifeskills)
Brilliant Positive Thinking (Brilliant Lifeskills)
by Sue Hadfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-changing reading, 8 Nov. 2011
This book is easy to read with helpful summaries, action points and exercises. Sue Hadfield, gently but firmly, shows you how your negative actions and thoughts affect the life you lead and how those negatives can be turned into positives with some small careful adjustment.

As a writer and teacher myself, I particularly appreciated the section on positive language (Chapter 2) and - being fairly confident that I avoid negative words - was nonplussed to note that I do indeed dwell on regrets (yes, 'I wish I'd bought a flat when it was cheaper' and yes, I have found excuses for why that wasn't my fault!).

Change your situation or accept it is the key and it makes an awful lot of sense. Various case studies show how people have changed their outlook and subsequently their lives for the better by simple attitude shifts. And if you don't believe Sue, well, she has a lot of people backing her up - the book is stuffed full of amazing and thought-provoking quotes, one of my favourites being from C.S. Lewis, 'You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream.' I may still be a relative youngster, but this is advice I would take over and over: I started my second career in my thirties - I took the jump and never looked back. I hope 'Brilliant Positive Thinking' helps you do the same.