Profile for Mike > Reviews

Mike

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like Beach Huts you'll love these., 3 July 2013
Bought this for someone that likes to decorate her home with images of beach huts.
She liked this, though their size means they are more for decoration than use.

Ashley Thomas/Edition Pink Beach Huts Cushion
Ashley Thomas/Edition Pink Beach Huts Cushion

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like Beach Hut related furnishings you'll love these, 3 July 2013
She liked this, though their size means they are more for decoration than use.

Destroy Rock & Roll
Destroy Rock & Roll
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 5.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Catchy tunes and a very clever production., 3 July 2013
This review is from: Destroy Rock & Roll (Audio CD)
Interesting to compare the original and remix of a couple of tracks - I prefer the original in both cases.
Pity Mylo has not done more since.

TP-Link TL-ANT2405C 2.4GHz 5dbi Indoor Omni-Directional Antenna
TP-Link TL-ANT2405C 2.4GHz 5dbi Indoor Omni-Directional Antenna
Price: 4.15

4.0 out of 5 stars Did what I wanted it to do, 28 Dec 2012
Recently bought a new desk top PC with a WiFi ariel at the back. This meant that to get to my BT Infinity Hub - which cannot really be moved - the WiFi signal had to pass through the PC, two brick walls and a floor. With that set up the signal was so poor as to be useless. However, as much by accident as anything else, I found that if I moved the PC forward 2 feet the signal became acceptable, not good, just acceptable. So, I bought this so that I could leave the PC where I wanted it to be, but have the WiFi ariel 2 feet forward. It worked. I now receive an acceptable signal, not good but acceptable.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I was expecting, 28 Dec 2012
As previous reviewers have said it looks like this offer was designed to be discounted on Black Friday as there seems little point in buying at the original price. I did buy it as a Black Friday deal and it was a good one, 6 months rental and instant for 15, so the offer itself is worth 5 stars, but I am reviewing this as though I were paying the regular price, which I would be after 6 months. On using the service I found -

So far the Rental service has been good, I like it. Turn around is quick and efficient. I have only been sent my high priority films (I've had 3 in all so far), which is good. Blu Rays are available for many of the recent films at the same price as DVDs. One criticism, they seem to offer films they have not got. Two of my choices have been separated from the rest of the list with the message "Not currently released". These are old films which have certainly been released and which can even be bought (on Amazon!) albeit at a quite extortionate price. So I do not know what "Not currently released" means.

My low rating comes from the "Instant" part of the offer. I have a Panasonic Smart TV, and so I cannot watch Instant directly on it. I have an Android tablet, and so I cannot watch Instant on it, even though it has an HDMI port. The only way I can watch Instant on my TV is to slave it off my aged laptop and configure it as an additional monitor, a messy setup. Another criticism is that though there are many films to watch, you do have to hunt for the good ones. Finally, the site was down for what I would guess was half an hour a couple of days ago. If that become a regular occurrence then that will really put me off the Instant offering.

My current plan is to stick with Lovefilm for the 6 months, then keep the Rental side of the offer but move to Netflix for On Demand - my smart TV is set up to receive Netflix and I have heard that their on demand library is better than that of Lovefilm.

25/1/13 - Update
Turnaround time on postal rentals continues to be very good. However, 3 of the 8 Blu Rays I have been sent have been faulty. Lovefilm are very quick to send replacements (all of which have played without a hitch - so the problem is not with my Blu Ray player). However, having the disc lock up and skip significant chunks of the film does not do much for your enjoyment. Unless this improves over the coming months I do not think I will be continuing with rental.

Columbo - The Complete Series (2011 Repackage) [DVD]
Columbo - The Complete Series (2011 Repackage) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Falk
Price: 45.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Must be the most enjoyable DVD(s) I have ever bought., 24 Dec 2012
Just to qualify the review, I am in my 60's and watched the original broadcasts way back when, I like the idea of the reverse whodunit, I am a big fan of Peter Falk, I am fascinated by this series portrayal of the American way of life.
As with any series the plots vary from the obvious to the very clever. I particularly like the Dick Van Dyke episode (I haven't reached it yet, as the set contains 69 programmes), when, even though everything is laid out before you the denouement still comes as a surprise. However, even in the ordinary episodes there is still much to enjoy. Columbo must be one of the great character creations of its time. All his adversaries and contemporaries are perfect, perfect hair, perfect clothes, perfect homes, perfect lifestyles. Columbo is almost their antithesis, crumpled suit, crumpled raincoat (in LA!!??), crumpled face (sometimes unshaved), crumpled car and crumpled dog. Even though you know what you are going to see its fascinating to see how the two collide. Will the murderer see through Columbo's act and see him as he really is, dogged, determined, clever and a brilliant psychologist or will they despise him because he is different and then be so surprised when they fall into his cleverly set trap.
Not for every one, my children, all late 20's and 30's, have no interest in this whatsoever. My wife usually sits with me Googling the now mostly deceased actors and actresses, telling me their life stories. Even this cannot take the edge off my enjoyment.
One niggle - as mentioned by others, subtitles are only included in some of the series. I usually put the subtitles on for American films and TV - helps with the translation.

Panasonic DMP-BDT120 Black Smart Network Blu-ray Disc Player
Panasonic DMP-BDT120 Black Smart Network Blu-ray Disc Player
Offered by Simply 4 U
Price: 88.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good - as I expected, 22 Dec 2012
Just to qualify this review
- I am a big fan of Panasonic and their products.
- I have to confess that I bought this as a package with a Panasonic TV and so got 50 off.

So, it was a bit of a knee jerk decision to buy this and I did so without my usual reading of spec and reviews.
Having said that I have no real complaints of this product. So far, and I have had the product for a couple of months now, it has played every DVD and Blu ray that I have required it to - including those from Lovefilm. Picture quality is very good on DVD and stunning on Blu Ray. I watched a 3D version of Prometheus which was also very good.

Couple of Small Cons.
It does not have built in WiFi. I am not too bothered about this as the TV does and I have no interest in the Internet "Extras".
As both the player on TV are Panasonic they "link" together. I have to confess that I have not read the manual but I would have expected the linking to work intuitively and it does not, quite. Sometimes, when I switch the player off it switches the TV off as well.

Panasonic TX-L42ET5B 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D LED TV with Freeview HD - Black (New for 2012)
Offered by 123Electricals4Me

5.0 out of 5 stars Good - as expected, 22 Dec 2012
I like and have bought many Panasonic product. In my experience they are well designed, durable and of good quality.
I have had this TV for several months now and so far it has done nothing to change my view.
Just to qualify my review I have used the TV for Freeview (SD + HD), BT Vision, Lovefilm Instant, Internet (YouTube, BBC iPlayer etc.), streaming from my home PC, watching DVDs and Blu Rays (Panasonic Player) but not gaming.

Good Points.
Excellent picture quality both on HD and SD.
Easy to set up, easy to connect to the Internet (WiFi in my case).
Easy to use.
Good connectivity options (USB, streaming from my home PC (windows 7), Scart, HDMI, PC (Monitor and sound)).

Not so good points - but all minor in my view
Nothing to do with the hardware but disappointed that I could not connect to Lovefilm Instant directly from the TV. Have done so via a laptop - but that's a bit messy.
Position of the connection slots HDMI, USB etc. could have been better placed and made easier to use.
On/Off switch should have been positioned on the front of the TV.

Tefal 4 in 1, RK701115 Slow Cooker, Steamer, Rice Cooker, Porridge Maker, Brushed Chrome

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says it will do, 24 Dec 2011
We have only used the cooker a few times since having bought it but so far so good.
We bought it mainly as a rice cooker. From the reviews we read it appeared to be the best. It is certainly easy to use, makes no mess and produces good rice. The other cooking options were a bonus for us but we have used it to make a stew and to cook porridge both of which, again, were good.
Some of the poor reviews concerned its reliability but so far, no issues.

Panasonic KX-TG6612EM Twin Digital Cordless Phone Set - Silver
Panasonic KX-TG6612EM Twin Digital Cordless Phone Set - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Has some very good features, 24 Dec 2011
I am comparing this with the 15 year old phone this replaced, so there may be other phones in the current market that have these features.
What I really like about this phone is
- It has a large easy to read backlit display.
- The keypad lights up when you want to make a call.
- The calling number display remains until you press the answer/decline button.
- It differentiates between international calls and number withheld calls.
- You only need enter contacts once and then sync them between the two phones.
- Easy to use, intuitive controls
The quality of the speaker phone is OK - just as good if not better thasn the 'phone it replaced.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3