ARRAY(0xa50b7c24)

Profile for Michael Oxley > Reviews

Content by Michael Oxley

Michael Oxley "Uplands" (Manchester, UK)

Lloytron Compact AA/AAA Plus PP3 Battery Charger
Lloytron Compact AA/AAA Plus PP3 Battery Charger
Offered by Strictly Lamps
Price: 4.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 Jan 2013
I'm delighted with this little charger. I bought some Extreme 280 mAh 9v batteries for my smoke alarms, to go with it.

It might take half a day to charge, but that doesn't matter to me. I wonder why on earth those awarding this product two stars for this reason, chose the cheapest one in the shop. If you want a quick charger, I suggest paying more for a charger that actually says that it's a quick charger. One can't have everything.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2013 11:45 PM GMT

Extreme Rechargeable PP3 9v 280 mAh Ni-Mh 1 per pack
Extreme Rechargeable PP3 9v 280 mAh Ni-Mh 1 per pack
Offered by Talk Time
Price: 4.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 Jan 2013
I bought two of these and they worked a treat with the little Lloytron charger. No problems with them fitting either the charger or the smoke alarms. Quick despatch too.

Exiles (The Progenitor Trilogy, Book One)
Exiles (The Progenitor Trilogy, Book One)
Price: 2.39

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 15 Dec 2011
I confess to only reading the sample but that was sufficient. It reads like it was written in the fifties with hyper-intelligent aliens in possession of 'computers' and 'electronics'. Viewing screens are "affixed" to walls just like the one in my lounge.

Six decades ago Ray Bradbury envisioned whole walls that could be transformed into screens and his characters communicated with wireless in the ear headphones before the invention of the transister. Dan just watched a few episodes of star trek and got cracking. I am no futurist but these descriptions of man and his relationship to the world around him are starting to sound outmoded and quaint in this time. It is lazy.

if the dialogue was any good and the story developments credible I could forgive the battlestar galactica (the original) stuff, but they aren't.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2012 6:33 PM GMT

Creative EP-3NC Active Noise Cancelling Earphones
Creative EP-3NC Active Noise Cancelling Earphones
Price: 68.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Noise Cancelling Phones, 3 Sep 2010
For fifty quid, you can buy a good set of ear canal headphones, which reduce external noise pretty well. My opinion is that this item offers similar noise isolation, whilst going the extra mile with a useful dollop of cancellation.

The item comes with three different sizes of rubber ear insert. The smallest of the three are an excellent fit for my ears. Noise reduction, without turning on the device, is massive compared to over the ear headphone designs. I find them easy to wear as long as they're pushed into the ears well.

Inserting the supplied battery and turning on the unit, without any audio, clearly suppresses further sound. In a quiet office, it's noticeable. On a train, with lots of constant, thrumming sounds, it's very effective. It is less effective with high-pitched, sporadic sounds, such as a baby's screams...

Without suppression, and with music, they sound very good indeed. Flicking on the suppression increases the sensation of both volume and bass, meaning that even in a library I would prefer to use the technology.

On the move, in the real world, the additional comfort of being able to listen at lower volume levels, can not be underestimated. It also has to be much better for your long term hearing prospects!

There is one irritation. The cable between the ears and the unit with the battery inside, is ridiculously short. What on earth were they thinking? I can only assume that the designer was a very short human. I'm 5'11 and it's too short to clip to my belt. I clipped it to my shirt instead, which works ok. At least the cable from the unit to the 3.5mm jack is long enough to allow you the option of stowing your player in any pocket you choose.

To be honest though, I will probably reserve these headphones for trips, so the extra bulk and inconvenience of the battery unit cable, is irrelevant. Being too isolated from external noise can be dangerous on a bike or on the street, where you want to be able to hear a potential threat coming.

Creative EP-3NC Noise Cancelling Earphones with Travel Pouch and Adapter - Black
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2011 11:30 AM GMT

The Natural Art of Seduction: Secrets of Success With Women
The Natural Art of Seduction: Secrets of Success With Women
by Richard La Ruina

3.0 out of 5 stars An honest story!, 18 Mar 2009
This is essentially a story of one young man's journey, from his first engagements with the PUA crowd, to budding guru. I respected his honesty: most of his personal growth as a PUA was clearly done while he was teaching what he knew to others, which takes balls to admit. He's also particularly candid when it comes to the difference between developing phone numbers from girls in bars, and actually doing the nasty and owning sexual confidence.

If you'd only read this book, you'd think Richard a genius. If you've previously read Jeffries, DeAngelo, Strauss and Mystery Method, you'll learn very little that's new to you in terms of technigue. He does however, have some experiences to share of what's worked for him in the field, that are original and make it worth the read!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 7, 2009 1:44 PM BST

Allcam PLB104M SLIMLINE LCD & PLASMA TV WALL MOUNT BRACKET for 30-50" screens
Allcam PLB104M SLIMLINE LCD & PLASMA TV WALL MOUNT BRACKET for 30-50" screens
Offered by eHome
Price: 14.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Bargain really, for the money and just the thing for a 32" LCD, 4 Mar 2009
I was looking for an open bracket, because I'd placed the power and tv sockets in the middle of the wall. This bracket allowed me to plug my 32" Samsung in, and hang it over the top.

It should take five minutes to screw together. It requires two bolts in each corner, (eight in total), to fix the top and bottom to the sides. The holes are threaded so you just fire them in with a driver, (no nuts to mess about with). Unfortunately, it took a couple of days because, for some unfathomable reason, they supplied eight M4 bolts, rather than the required M6 bolts. Odd. A pound spent in screwfix solved the problem.

There's a range of other bolts, from which you can pick to suit your particular tv. My samsung required the four M6 bolts to attach the vertical hangers. I was pleased to see spacers included, in case your tv has a curved back, or you want to create a little more room to accomodate connecting cables.

Anyway, all in all, a fine little product that does exactly what it says on the tin. I ignored the supplied wall fixings and used two and a half eight wood screws and brown plugs, using an 8mm bit. My Samsung is only 14kg, so these lesser fixings are perfectly adequate.

A Brit's Guide to New York 2007: The Only Guidebook Re-written Every Year: 5
A Brit's Guide to New York 2007: The Only Guidebook Re-written Every Year: 5
by Karen Marchbank

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide!, 28 April 2007
I found the book very useful on my recent trip to New York. Basic stuff like how to get from the airports into the city, tips on buying tickets for sights and planning my time, were most useful. The fact that it's bang up to date is also really good, giving info on places to go that can be relied upon. Well worth the money.

Kingston Technology 1GB U3 DataTraveler Smart USB 2.0 Flash Drive
Kingston Technology 1GB U3 DataTraveler Smart USB 2.0 Flash Drive

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little tool and promising technology, 7 Sep 2006
First things first, if you're looking for a USB stick, for the purpose of transferring data and keeping your files with you on the move, be sure to buy one of those instead of a U3 drive. If you don't, you'll be back here complaining about what a pain U3 is... In fact, it is brilliant.

Essentially, U3 is a simple software platform that sits on the stick, allowing you to run U3 versions of standard applications like web browser, Instant Messaging, email and many others, DIRECTLY from the stick. This is useful for two reasons: firstly, you can generate your exact look and feel, with the same applications, on any PC to which you have access and secondly, your activity leaves no trace at all on the host PC.

The U3 software will attempt to autorun when plugged into a pc, installing a piece of itself as a drive. If you have haven't got Admin rights to the PC, it ain't going to work, so be aware.

I have a company laptop. Within ten minutes of plugging the drive into the docking station, I had downloaded Firefox to browse the web, Trillian for IM and Skype. It was so easy to use, I would happily order one for my grandmother and not expect a call. Now I don't have to worry about some guy recovering and reading my bank details and emails when he buys the laptop off of ebay in three years time...

I loved that the stick was bundled with simple password software, so nobody will ever be able to pick it up and freely access either my data or my application usage. There are free downloads of other encryption applications if you want more...

If there's a downside, it's that you can't simply pull out the stick, (you must press eject in the U3 launcher window before removing).

The 1Gb suits my purpose, but I recommend the 2Gb. If you want to follow the U3 logic and shift all your applications and associated data onto a USB stick, you'll be needing Open Office and that's 222Mb. Factor in application bloat over time and a mirror of your My Documents folder, and 1Gb won't be enough for most.