Profile for Mrs. Susan E. Green > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Susan E. ...

Mrs. Susan E. Green

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Yes Sister, No Sister: My Life as a Trainee Nurse in 1950s Yorkshire
Yes Sister, No Sister: My Life as a Trainee Nurse in 1950s Yorkshire
by Jennifer Craig

5.0 out of 5 stars yes sister no sister, 1 Feb. 2011
I really enjoyed this book, very interesting. A must read for anyone who has been in the nursing profession. It reminded me so much of my experiences when I was training in the mid 60s. Jennifer takes us behind the scenes with her stories and there are lots of amusing bits that will keep you smiling all the way through. These were the days of hands on hard work without the equipment they have today.
I am holding on to this book,its special, its part of our nursing history.
happy reading to all nurses.

Nobody In Particular
Nobody In Particular
by Cherry Simmonds

5.0 out of 5 stars nobody in particular, 23 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Nobody In Particular (Paperback)
This has to be one of the best true stories I have read so far. It is a brilliant read and very down to earth. Very funny, it had me laughing all the way through. This is the kind of book to cheer you up on a dreary winter,s day. If you remember the swinging 60s this is the book for you,so be like me, put your feet up and forget your chores for once. I have just come out of hospital and this book has been like a tonic, better than any medicine.
So happy reading to all bookworms.

Rabbit Stew and a Penny or Two
Rabbit Stew and a Penny or Two
by Maggie Smith-Bendell

5.0 out of 5 stars rabbit stew and a penny or two, 19 Dec. 2010
I really enjoyed this book. Maggie tells a good story of a very happy and simple childhood enjoying all the things that nature has to offer, looking forward to the changing seasons,all the outdoor activities before T.V and computers,reminds me so much of my own childhood back in the late 50s.
I have learnt a lot about gypsy life from this book.A few pages at the end give details of gypsy believes and traditions with lots of family photos.
I got another book for my mother- in- law for her birthday as she too was interested in gypsy life.
For everyone out there who likes a relaxing read this book is worth getting,I just know you will enjoy it.

Hope's Boy: Broken by life, saved by love
Hope's Boy: Broken by life, saved by love
by Andrew Bridge

5.0 out of 5 stars hope s boy, 31 Oct. 2010
A brilliant read and very interesting I could not find any acts of cruelty in this story.This little boy had a really tough upbringing.If anyone is familier like I am with the Los Angeles area you will certainly enjoy this read.The Prologue at the start ran for 21 pages,I found that hard to follow so I started at chapter one and got into the book straight away. Highly recommended, so happy reading folks.

The Dog who Loved: Lenore, the Puppy who Rescued Me
The Dog who Loved: Lenore, the Puppy who Rescued Me
by Jon Katz

5.0 out of 5 stars the dog who loved, 29 Sept. 2010
As I am the second person to make a comment I would like to say I really enjoyed this. I have read most of Jon,s non fiction and I think this is my favourite, but I was a little disappointed that Lenore did not feature much in the story, I thought Lenore would have been the main character here. This story is more like a carry on from Saving Izzy with more of Izzy,s adventures, but thats O.K. as I said the story was good and I loved all those pictures inside.
Jon, are you into writing another book soon?, if so , I am looking forward to reading about Lenores adventures, she looks such an adorable puppy from her pictures. If she is only half as good as Izzy in her work she will do.
Highly recommended to everyone who are following Jon,s stories.
Happy reading from bookworm Sue.

The Nipper: The Heartbreaking True Story of a Little Boy and His Violent Childhood in Working-class Dundee
by Charlie Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars the nipper, 5 Sept. 2010
I really enjoyed this book, I could not put it down. Well written from start to end. Rough and raw maybe and excuse some of the wording but thats O.K.Nothing is covered up in this book. At least there is no sex abuse in this story thank goodness.
Charlie is bashed about by his dad but nothing knocks Charlie back for very long. He is a tough little guy who is determined to survive keeping his head above water and a good sense of humour has kept him sane. He tells his story in an amusing way. The happiness he found later got me feeling really emotional, so tissues ready for this one.
Take my advise, this is worth reading.

Wesley: The Story of a Remarkable Owl
Wesley: The Story of a Remarkable Owl
by Stacey O'Brien

5.0 out of 5 stars wesley, 12 Aug. 2010
What a lovely story about the mischievous ways of this little owl and his attachment to Stacey and her devotion to this wild creature. I just loved this story and felt like reaching into the book to give Wesley a cuddle. It is very funny in parts it had me giggling to myself all the way through. There are some cute pictures of Wesley getting up to his tricks and what a little imp he is. There are 3 pages toward the back that tell you everything you need to know about barn owls so thanks Stacey for this extra information.
I look back on this as one of my best reads,full of tenderness with lots of emotional bits and lots of tissues at hand. I like the way Stacey describes where she worked, the places she lived at and visited. I have looked up these name places on my U.S.A road map, I have my own memories of these places. Thanks again Stacey for these extra bits.
I recommend this book to everyone, it would also be a good educational read for children as the story is easy to follow.
Go get this book everyone and happy reading.

Chosen by a Horse
Chosen by a Horse
by Susan Richards

5.0 out of 5 stars chosen by a horse, 25 July 2010
This review is from: Chosen by a Horse (Paperback)
A lovely story. Very down to earth. Full of tenderness, caring and deep feelings. A very emotional read. I just loved this little book, a real little treasure. I did not know anything about horses until I had read this book, so now when I see a horse I stop and admire these beautiful creatures.My mother in law loved this book too. I recommend this as good reading material for all ages.

Come Back, Como
Come Back, Como
by Steven Winn

5.0 out of 5 stars come back como, 4 July 2010
This review is from: Come Back, Como (Paperback)
I was reading this little book like crazy, I just got so hooked on it, it was hard to put down. I put my feet up, forgot my home chores I even forgot my husband. This has got to be the funniest book I have read for a long time, bright and cheerful, not a dull moment here, it keeps you alert.I,m not usually one for reading books by American authors but Steven Winn has won me over alright.So I have really enjoyed this book, reminds me of my fun travels in U.S.A especially around San Francisco and the pacific coast.
Happy reading to all.

Kisses on a Postcard: A Tale of Wartime Childhood
Kisses on a Postcard: A Tale of Wartime Childhood
by Terence Frisby

5.0 out of 5 stars kisses on a postcard, 21 Jun. 2010
A beautiful story full of warmth, good times and kind hearted people. A childhood experiencing the simple things in life, the kinds of things that today,s children know nothing about. What child today would walk over a mile to school in all weathers and having to sit in a classroom all day with cold wet feet.
A piece from the book made me smile as I read ( Going to bed was an ordeal, getting into warm pyjamas downstairs, no heat upstairs, but a stone hot water bottle in bed to put your feet on as shivering you scramble to snuggle down under blankets and eiderdown. Waking to ice on the inside of your window).Those certainly were days to remember well. They may have been hard times but we were happy.
Also there are lovely pictures with smiling faces. This book was my kind of read and I hope it will give others readers as much enjoyment as its given me, plus the smiles.
Happy reading everyone.