Profile for Derek Jones > Reviews

Content by Derek Jones
Top Reviewer Ranking: 114

Derek Jones
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Life At The Bottom
Life At The Bottom

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book that rings depressingly true, 21 Oct 2014
A brilliant book that should be much more widely read. However, I am conscious that it will be read mostly be people predisposed to agree with the author, just as most readers of "Chavs: the demonization of the working class" by Owen Jones are probably left-wing. I do not agree with Jones but he makes a good case and it is instructive to read Dalrymple and Jones in the same week.

Kingston Technology DataTraveler 101 Generation 2 16GB USB Flash Drive - Black
Kingston Technology DataTraveler 101 Generation 2 16GB USB Flash Drive - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow to write to but good for storage, 21 Oct 2014
I agree with others who say that it relatively slow to write to. However, I use it mainly for storage and for that purpose it is a good product.

The Six Wives Of Henry VIII - Complete Series [1970] [DVD]
The Six Wives Of Henry VIII - Complete Series [1970] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Keith Michell

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed it as much as I did in 1970, 21 Oct 2014
This set of DVDs has been created from a video version made in 1970 and the picture and sound quality does not match the best available today. However, everybody who buys such a product understands that and makes allowances for it. In addition the camerawork is not as slick as in a modern production but that did not worry me for I would prefer to concentrate on the plot and the acting rather than fancy camera manoeuvres. The other problem associated with time might have been the acting, for acting styles change and an old film can look very "dated" to later eyes (as is the case with "Gone with the Wind"). That does not apply here: the acting is top notch. Keith Michell hammed it up as Henry VIII but did so magnificently and did not go too far over the top. Dorothy Tutin was a wonderful Anne Boleyn, and I also liked Annette Crosbie. Among the many other actors I particularly enjoyed the performances of Bernard Hepton as Cranmer, Patrick Troughton as Norfolk, and Wolfe Morris as Thomas Cromwell.

One minor problem is that the format meant that 90 minutes had to be devoted to each episode even though some queens lasted much longer than others. The weakest episode was the one about Catherine Howard, partly because she did not last very long and partly because Angela Pleasence (though an excellent actress) did not look beautiful enough to be completely convincing.

I watched this series in 1970 on the TV of a neighbour who had one of the first colour TVs. I enjoyed it then and I have enjoyed watching it again.

Systane Ultra Lubricant Eye Drops 10ml
Systane Ultra Lubricant Eye Drops 10ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Four stars, 21 Oct 2014
This purports to be a more advanced (and expensive) form of the standard Systane lubricating eye drops. My wife has used both and has not been conscious of any difference between the products, Both forms of these eye drop offer her relief, but not total relief. I believe there is another (and yet more expensive) form of Systane eye drops now available.

Systane Lubricating Eye Drops 10ml
Systane Lubricating Eye Drops 10ml

4.0 out of 5 stars I hope they are worth the price, 21 Oct 2014
My wife used to use hypromellose drops but her optometrist diagnosed blepharitis and recommended Systane. She uses them twice per day and say that they help. This product now seems to be in the process of being superceded by two other products, including a Systane Ultra.

Roundup Tree Stump and Root Killer 250 ml Liquid Concentrate Weedkiller
Roundup Tree Stump and Root Killer 250 ml Liquid Concentrate Weedkiller

5.0 out of 5 stars It works for me, 21 Oct 2014
I have used it on a large willow stump and various other trees with success. It needs to be applied immediately after the tree has been cut down. I always drill a couple of holes and fill with neat Roundup as well as putting it on the surface, and I put some polythene over the stump if I think that rain is likely in the following week.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good cartridges but it is more economical to buy the Apples cartridges with greater capacity, 21 Oct 2014
I have had unfortunate experiences with compatible cartridges so I now always buy genuine Epson cartridges. The price here is competitive and I was happy with my purchase at the time. However, I now always buy Apple T1295 instead of these Fox cartridges. Apple cartridges hold more ink but the price does not rise proportionately, so you get more bang for your buck.

Morphy Richards 48718 Oval Slow Cooker, 6.5 Litre - Stainless Steel
Morphy Richards 48718 Oval Slow Cooker, 6.5 Litre - Stainless Steel

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not cook as slowly as I would like, 21 Oct 2014
A large slow cooker that is on a par with many other such cookers I have seen and owned. My one complaint is that even on low it cooks too quickly for a slow cooker. I have never used the high setting because I regard the low setting as high. I have already replaced it with a slow cooker that cooks more slowly on low.

1x Microfibre CORAL Washable Pad Fits H2O H20, VAX S2 & Bionaire Steam Mop
1x Microfibre CORAL Washable Pad Fits H2O H20, VAX S2 & Bionaire Steam Mop
Offered by Suds-Online

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 21 Oct 2014
It's OK but nothing to get excited about. I find it more difficult to push the mop with this pad than with the microfibre pad supplied with the Vax without it doing a discernibly better job.

Parker ball pen refill BLUE twin pack medium
Parker ball pen refill BLUE twin pack medium
Offered by Pen-Sale

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 21 Oct 2014
I bought a pack of blue and a pack of black at the same time from the same source. The black did not work but the blue refills have been excellent.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17