Profile for M. A. Saunders > Reviews

Content by M. A. Saunders

M. A. Saunders (uk)

One For All URC 7140 Essence 4 Universal remote
One For All URC 7140 Essence 4 Universal remote

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality Remote which works with all my devices, 31 Oct 2013
Remote packed up for my Panasonic plasma so ordered this remote based on Amazon reviews. I was half expecting to return it given some of the negative reviews.

For the TV the magic set up didn't work so I was sure the item would be going back. However, using the code set up, the 1st code I tried worked. This is a 20 second job.

For the Panasonic DVD the magic set up worked (10 second job) and, even more surprisingly, using the search function it eventually (maybe 100 clicks) synched with my BT vision box.

The remote itself feels solid and pleasant to use (better than my current DVD and BT vision remotes). It has better range and accuracy than the original TV and the BT vision remotes. After 1 day I have got used to the button placement, just need to remember to choose which device I am trying to communicate with. The kids have no such problems and say how much simpler it is. The DVD & BT Vision remotes are now put away.

Only downside I can find is that it came without the 4 AAA batteries required but at this price that's understandable.

Great product, great price.

PS Amazon customer service outstanding - the first delivery I had was a pair of boxers instead of the remote. Quick phone call and the remote arrived the following day - pants posted back to Amazon for free.

Digihome LED42983FHD 42-inch Widescreen Full HD LED TV with Freeview
Digihome LED42983FHD 42-inch Widescreen Full HD LED TV with Freeview

4.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for the price, 14 Oct 2013
This is the 3rd Digihome TV I own, and they all follow the same pattern; OK picture quality, adequate sound, excellent connectivity at an outstandingly low price.

I've found that as TVs are getting ever more complex they fail (bar my ancient Panny 42" plasma) so I am happier buying bargain TVs such as this. The sound did pack up on this product after a couple of months but Amazon's excellent returns service provided a new TV and no further problems for the last 4 months.

TV is mainly used close up hooked into an Xbox for which it is perfect. No judder or ghosting and you don't notice the sound. When watching freeview the picture quality is fine, best to sit further back from the screen but the tinny sound is more obvious watching TV. When I get round to it I will hook it up to an amp to improve the sound.

Remote is fiddly, the EPG button is difficult to spot and is in a different place on all my 3 digihome remotes. That said the on screen EPG is excellent, better than the Panasonic and in a different league to the expensive Sony (which died 6 months out of warranty).

If I'm looking for other faults the TV & stand are plasticky but what do you expect for this price?

Summary - if you are looking for a top end TV and are a hi-fi nut do not get this TV. For everyone else this is a good, amazingly cheap TV with more inputs than you'll need.

Digihome LCD32913HDDVD 32-inch Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV with Freeview and Built in DVD

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly OK for a cheap TV, 2 Sep 2012
Bought this to replace an expensive Sony TV/DVD combo which broke after 18 months and neither Amazon nor Sony would refund - make the point that it's not just cheap TVs which go wrong.

Bought this TV with some concerns given the 1 star reviews. 3 months down the line am impressed what you can get for £200.

Pros
Set up was simple and all previous channels were found. Great range of inputs. Picture quality is pretty good, slightly worse than the Sony but amazing when you consider the price. Looks good. EPG is much much better than the Sony TV so it's actually simpler to use.

Cons
Sound is really tinny and it projects backward - sound is louder and better behind TV than in front of it. The remote is poor, very cluttered, badly labeled but in time can be figured out. I found it leaned back slightly on it's stand which may be a problem for a bedroom computer.

Overall - a much better TV than I expected for the price. I am going to buy it's cheaper brother (no DVD player) to watch while on the treadmill.

Sony KDL22BX20DU BRAVIA 22-inch Widescreen LCD HD Ready TV with Built-in DVD Player and Freeview

3.0 out of 5 stars Good TV with 1 flaw, 23 Jun 2010
Bought as a tv for a bedroom.

The picture quality is very good as is the DVD playback. Sound is a bit tinny but better than many small flatscreen tvs.

As in the previous review the freeview electronic programming guide (epg) is terrible. It only shows what is on 1 channel at a time for the coming few hours. You have to click through each channel individually. Most epgs show all channels and what's on now, allowing you to scroll through and see what you like the look of. I've read the guide and it doesn't look as though the view can be changed.

If you're using this as a gaming tv, for the dvd or to hook up to Sky you'll be very happy. If you're planning to use the freeview epg you may find it annoying.