Profile for Cook Book Queen > Reviews

Facing Tyson: Fifteen Fighters, Fifteen Stories
Facing Tyson: Fifteen Fighters, Fifteen Stories
by Ted A. Kluck

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Tyson fans, 5 May 2014
I haven't read this book, I bought it for my partner to read on holiday, as he's a huge Tyson fan. He loved it, found it really interesting and set out well, with a different chapter for each different fight. It's inspired him to seek out some of the matches on You Tube. He definitely gives it the thumbs up.

The Good Cook
The Good Cook
by Simon Hopkinson

4.0 out of 5 stars A handful of gems, 5 May 2014
This review is from: The Good Cook (Hardcover)
I waited ages to get this book, hoping it would come down in price, but for some reason it's stayed fairly expensive by comparison with other TV cook books that usually go straight to half price on Amazon, so in the end I bit the bullet and bought it anyway. I watched a few of the TV shows and really liked at least one recipe from each one, which is why I wanted the book. I'm a tad disappointed though, there aren't pictures for every recipe which I find irritating, and which makes the book less appealing I think. Also, apart from the 1 in 4 recipes that I liked from the TV show, there aren't any others that I really like the look of (again lack of pictures doesn't help). I will make some of the recipes, but I don't think this book is going to get as much use as some of my other books do.

The Hairy Bikers' Asian Adventure: Over 100 Amazing Recipes from the Kitchens of Asia to Cook at Home
by Hairy Bikers

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant as usual, 5 May 2014
I think I'm a bit addicted to Hairy Biker recipe books as I seem to have pretty much every one they've done. I was going to give this one a miss because I didn't think there would be enough different recipes that I don't already have, but once I watched the TV show, I knew I had to have it! Lots of lovely pictures as usual, really important for me, I need to like the look of what I'm going to cook (and have an idea of what it should look like at the end!), and straightforward instructions as usual. It really is worth just working your way through and giving everything a go because we've yet to come across anything that we don't like. This is another great addition to what is already a ridiculously large collection of TV cook books.

Lanzarote (Globetrotter Travel Guide)
Lanzarote (Globetrotter Travel Guide)
by Rowland Mead

3.0 out of 5 stars Out of date, 5 May 2014
This book is ok but I didn't realise it was such an early edition - 2003, so there was quite a lot of stuff that was very out of date in it. The history of the island was interesting and obviously that won't have changed much in the last decade, but the information about public services, bars, hotels, trips etc, was pretty much useless. I'm pretty sure that nothing was mentioned in the write up about how old it was so I guess I won't be buying any second hand travel guides in the future in case I get caught out again! I buy secondhand when I can because I like to recycle books as much as possible, but I'll be a bit more careful in future about factual books which need to be up to date to be of any use.

Lenmar AIDCU4 Dual USB Car Charger, High Output 4.2A for 2 iPads (4,3,2), iPhone 5 / 5s / 5c, iPhone 4 / 4s, iPad mini, Samsung Galaxy S III, Galaxy S II, Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD, Google Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Tablet 2 and More
Offered by Battery World

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for HTC One, 30 Dec 2013
I was annoyed to find that my new HTC One phone wouldn't charge from my usual in car charger. It simply wasn't powerful enough to even charge it up let alone let me play music or run navigation software, even though it happily charges an iPhone and iPad and allows use of satnav software on the iPhone for hours. My phone provider couldn't offer any explanation, but checking out a few on line forums it seems that the HTC One needs a higher output charger, even though nothing in the phone info tells you that. Several forums recommended a Lenmar dual USB charger so I found this one on Amazon and it works perfectly! Charges my phone and enables me to use the satnav software too. If you have an HTC One which your regular in car charger can't charge, this is the one you need to get. Good quality and nice looking too, but main thing is that it does what it says on the tin and without this my phone is totally useless in the car.

BlueRigger High Speed HDMI Cable - supports 3D, Ethernet and Audio Return [Newest Standard] (0.9 Meters)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, 30 Dec 2013
I'm not technical at all so had to rely on reviews to pick a decent HDMI cable, and I picked right! I got two as we needed to hook up an Xbox and new Blu-ray player. Both cables work perfectly and the quality of image is excellent and especially considering the price, I'm very happy. Excellent delivery too so would definitely get these again if I need any more.

The Hairy Dieters Eat for Life: How to Love Food, Lose Weight and Keep it Off for Good! (Hairy Bikers)
by Hairy Bikers

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Hairy Biker winner, 29 Sep 2013
Having successfully lost nearly 5st between myself and my partner, just using the Hairy Dieter's original cookbook, we were keen to get this new collection of recipes. So far, it's as good as its predecessor. The Hairy Bikers version of a doner kebab really has to be tasted to be believed. Very easy to make and totally delicious, a million times better than one from a take away. Another really good collection of recipes from breakfasts, fakeaways, traditional meals, snacks and desserts. Spot on for anyone who wants to eat good quality, homemade food that is healthy and good for you. You don't need to be dieting, these recipes have good enough flavours and textures to satisfy any palate. Most of the recipes are also very easy to do and use general store cupboard ingredients alongside the fresh fish, meat and vegetables so they're not expensive. Regardless of whether you want to lose weight or not, this is a great addition to anyone's recipe book collection.

Joseph Joseph Garlic Rocker
Joseph Joseph Garlic Rocker

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 29 Sep 2013
A friend of mine got one of these for a wedding present and told me to get one. I've had umpteen different styles of garlic crusher/grater/chopper gadgets over the years but never found anything that was any better than just good old hard work with a sharp knife. These are pricey but you can definitely feel the quality when you handle it. It doesn't take a great deal of effort to crush even a large fresh clove of garlic. I'm not sure if you can use it on unpeeled cloves, I haven't, I still peel the garlic and cut the woody end off, but then crush the whole thing with the garlic rocker. It crushes rather than cuts the garlic so you get all the lovely juices too. It is hard to get all the little bits of garlic out of the holes when washing up, a stiff bristle brush is the only thing that really works, even running it under the tap doesn't dislodge all of the trapped garlic. It's a tiny niggle though, and overall I'd say that it was probably the most successful garlic implement I've had to date.

Set Of 4 Gold Colour Beaded Coasters
Set Of 4 Gold Colour Beaded Coasters
Offered by marymarygardens

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 29 Sep 2013
I fancied some gold beaded coasters but couldn't find any anywhere on the high street. I was a bit dubious about these as they were so cheap (especially as free postage too) and it isn't easy to work out what the colour will actually look like in the flesh. They arrived promptly and I was thrilled with them. They feel decent quality, and are a lovely rich gold colour. I liked them so much I instantly ordered another set so I have 6 on the dining table and 2 on our bedside cabinets now. They look lovely with our antique pine furniture. They have a thin felt backing so they don't scratch around on the table top. I'd have been very happy if I'd paid double the cost for them to be honest and am delighted that they're such good value too. Highly recommend.

Velfont Waterproof and Breathable Quilted Mattress Protector, King Size (150x200cm)
Offered by VELAMEN, S.A

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 29 Sep 2013
Having had a John Lewis quilted, waterproof mattress protector for several years on my double bed, I was hoping to replace it for a new king size one when we changed our bed recently. However, John Lewis had none in stock for weeks and as delivery of the bed got closer I had to find an alternative quickly. Really good quality waterproof mattress protectors are hard to come by and are very expensive but definitely worth it as they keep your mattress pristine and give you a better nights sleep. I wasn't too sure about this when it arrived as it doesn't have the cotton backing over the waterproof material like the John Lewis one did. I thought it might make it noisy to sleep on or make it prone to slipping around on the mattress but so far it's fine. It has a nice soft quilted top and the waterproof backing is fabricky rather than rubbery, if that makes sense. It's a good fit, very slightly generous rather than skimpy so it completely covers the mattress top and doesn't ride up on the sides. I haven't washed it yet so I'm not sure how well it will tumble dry; usually you can't tumble waterproof protectors as the waterproof material burns and fuses together in clumps if it comes into contact with the hot inside of the dryer drum, but this does say low heat drying is fine on the label. I did tumble dry the John Lewis one as the waterproof fabric was sandwiched between the quilted top and cotton backing but this only has the quilted top and waterproof material. Time will tell but so far, considering that it was £20 cheaper than the same size John Lewis one which I would have bought had it been in stock, I really think that it's ok. It's definitely much better quality than any of the other highstreet waterproof protectors I'd looked at, such as BHS, Dunelm etc. On the whole I'd say it was well worth the money and a good buy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3