Profile for Cook Book Queen > Reviews

Cole & Mason 72 cm Beech Wood King Pepper Mill
Cole & Mason 72 cm Beech Wood King Pepper Mill
Offered by KG Homewares

3.0 out of 5 stars Expensive novelty, 14 Jan. 2015
I bought this for my son who had seen it in BHS at Christmas but it was sold out before I could get one (probably because it was selling for £20 when everywhere else it's £45!). As his birthday is just after Christmas, I paid full price for it from Amazon as it was the only one I could get in time. I'm not sure why anyone would want a baseball bat shaped peppermill, but there you go. It's decent quality, though I'm not sure it's worth £45. It comes already with pepper in it and it did seem to grind ok. Time will tell if it lasts as long as my Cole & Mason beech pepper mill which I got as an engagement present 35 years ago and which is still in use every day. I think I probably wouldn't have paid so much for any other brand but as a one off gift it's ok.

New Clear Sony Xperia Z3 Gel Case Cover TPU Silicone Skin Jelly Protective Shell (Xperia Z3 2014) The Keep Talking Shop® Accessories (Crystal Clear Gel)
Offered by Keep Talking Shop Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 14 Jan. 2015
Having just got a new white Sony Xperia Z3, I wanted a clear gel case for it. This is great, totally clear so you can see the white phone through it at the back. Easy to fit with all the relevant holes lining up ok. I've had cheap gel cases before (though not from this supplier) and they've always discoloured after a few months, but at this price it's no hardship to just replace them. I like this so much I've already ordered another clear one, just in case the current one discolours eventually, and I've also ordered a bright pink one for if I fancy something jazzy for a night out! Very good value for money, looks great, works perfectly, you can't ask for more.

simplehuman Plastic Compact Dishrack - White
simplehuman Plastic Compact Dishrack - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality design, 14 Jan. 2015
I looked everywhere for this exact model after using one in a holiday rental house last year. This was the only place I could get it at a decent price (it came up at over £30 elsewhere). I like SimpleHuman stuff, it's good quality and design but you do pay for it, so it was great to get this at such a good price. It's really easy to clean, the cutlery pot and wire base pull out very easily. We've just had a new kitchen fitted with a solid wood worktop and I didn't want drainer grooves cut into it. This drainer sits on the worktop when we're washing up but then we put it in the sink while the pots dry so it's out of sight. The only drips that hit the worktop are from pots that overhang it or from your hands as you put things in it, so it's easy to wipe them up and keep a nice clean dry worktop. The spout works very well at channelling drained water back into the sink. Love it.

3x Heavy Duty Teflon Non Stick Oven Liners 40cm x 50cm PERFECT FOR FAN ASSISTED OVENS
Offered by L.M Electrical

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, great value for money, 14 Jan. 2015
Great value for money. I've previously had the oven liner from Lakeland which is currently £9.99 for ONE 50 x 50cm sheet. This is the same quality, the sheets are slightly smaller at 40 x 50cm but you get 3, so you do the maths! I've used it in my brand new oven for a couple of months now and I also use it on baking trays so you don't ever have to use greaseproof paper for things that would have a tendency to stick, and also as permanent liners in cake tins. It's really easy to wash. It does go in the dishwasher but to be honest because it takes up quite a bit of room in there if you're cleaning a full sheet, it's easier just to wash it in the sink. Any crusty debris just brushes off into the bin and then wash the sheet with hot soapy water and it's like new again.

Ultimate Shield Premium Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Sony Xperia Z3
Ultimate Shield Premium Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Sony Xperia Z3
Offered by Ultimate Shield

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 14 Jan. 2015
I got this because I can't seem to ever get the plastic film screen protectors on without loads of bubbles. I thought it was pricey for just one but the reviews said it was much easier to fit so I thought I'd give it a go and I'm so glad I did. It is really easy to put on and to get all the air bubbles out. My first attempt ended up with a large bubble bang in the middle of the screen but I just gently lifted it off again and refitted it and it went on perfectly. The look of the screen with it on is second to none, a million times better than the plastic protectors. It also feels lovely to use, really smooth on your fingertips and it really doesn't seem to hold finger marks hardly at all. It's made the phone look much smarter and also feel much nicer to use. I would definitely recommend it and I will always have a glass protector instead of plastic film one from now on. Well worth the money.

Facing Tyson: Fifteen Fighters, Fifteen Stories
Facing Tyson: Fifteen Fighters, Fifteen Stories
by Ted A. Kluck

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Tyson fans, 5 May 2014
I haven't read this book, I bought it for my partner to read on holiday, as he's a huge Tyson fan. He loved it, found it really interesting and set out well, with a different chapter for each different fight. It's inspired him to seek out some of the matches on You Tube. He definitely gives it the thumbs up.

The Good Cook
The Good Cook
by Simon Hopkinson

4.0 out of 5 stars A handful of gems, 5 May 2014
This review is from: The Good Cook (Hardcover)
I waited ages to get this book, hoping it would come down in price, but for some reason it's stayed fairly expensive by comparison with other TV cook books that usually go straight to half price on Amazon, so in the end I bit the bullet and bought it anyway. I watched a few of the TV shows and really liked at least one recipe from each one, which is why I wanted the book. I'm a tad disappointed though, there aren't pictures for every recipe which I find irritating, and which makes the book less appealing I think. Also, apart from the 1 in 4 recipes that I liked from the TV show, there aren't any others that I really like the look of (again lack of pictures doesn't help). I will make some of the recipes, but I don't think this book is going to get as much use as some of my other books do.

The Hairy Bikers' Asian Adventure: Over 100 Amazing Recipes from the Kitchens of Asia to Cook at Home
by Hairy Bikers

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant as usual, 5 May 2014
I think I'm a bit addicted to Hairy Biker recipe books as I seem to have pretty much every one they've done. I was going to give this one a miss because I didn't think there would be enough different recipes that I don't already have, but once I watched the TV show, I knew I had to have it! Lots of lovely pictures as usual, really important for me, I need to like the look of what I'm going to cook (and have an idea of what it should look like at the end!), and straightforward instructions as usual. It really is worth just working your way through and giving everything a go because we've yet to come across anything that we don't like. This is another great addition to what is already a ridiculously large collection of TV cook books.

Lanzarote (Globetrotter Travel Guide)
Lanzarote (Globetrotter Travel Guide)
by Rowland Mead

3.0 out of 5 stars Out of date, 5 May 2014
This book is ok but I didn't realise it was such an early edition - 2003, so there was quite a lot of stuff that was very out of date in it. The history of the island was interesting and obviously that won't have changed much in the last decade, but the information about public services, bars, hotels, trips etc, was pretty much useless. I'm pretty sure that nothing was mentioned in the write up about how old it was so I guess I won't be buying any second hand travel guides in the future in case I get caught out again! I buy secondhand when I can because I like to recycle books as much as possible, but I'll be a bit more careful in future about factual books which need to be up to date to be of any use.

Lenmar AIDCU4 Dual USB Car Charger, High Output 4.2A for 2 iPads (4,3,2), iPhone 5 / 5s / 5c, iPhone 4 / 4s, iPad mini, Samsung Galaxy S III, Galaxy S II, Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD, Google Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Tablet 2 and More
Offered by Gee Gadgets

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for HTC One, 30 Dec. 2013
I was annoyed to find that my new HTC One phone wouldn't charge from my usual in car charger. It simply wasn't powerful enough to even charge it up let alone let me play music or run navigation software, even though it happily charges an iPhone and iPad and allows use of satnav software on the iPhone for hours. My phone provider couldn't offer any explanation, but checking out a few on line forums it seems that the HTC One needs a higher output charger, even though nothing in the phone info tells you that. Several forums recommended a Lenmar dual USB charger so I found this one on Amazon and it works perfectly! Charges my phone and enables me to use the satnav software too. If you have an HTC One which your regular in car charger can't charge, this is the one you need to get. Good quality and nice looking too, but main thing is that it does what it says on the tin and without this my phone is totally useless in the car.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4