Profile for Jo Michie > Reviews

The Gift of Thanks: The Roots and Rituals of Gratitude
The Gift of Thanks: The Roots and Rituals of Gratitude
by Margaret Visser

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for a stimulating read., 12 Dec. 2013
I am a great fan of Margaret Visser, all her books are extremely thoughtprovoking, and this is no exception. We use the two little words 'thank you' all the time but do not stop to consider how and why we use them. Thanking people varies from culture to culture and has changed over time, Visser explores the social background of giving thanks.

The Marrying of Chani Kaufman
The Marrying of Chani Kaufman
by Eve Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Orthodox jewry in North London, 25 Nov. 2013
I lived for 30 years in North London, and drove through many of the streets and neighbourhoods which feature
in this novel. I was completely ignorant of the lives lived by the orthodox Jewish community even though I often saw the men and women in Golders Green and Hendon. This book lifted the veil, I found it absolutely fascinating. Recommend it most highly.

Blood & Beauty
Blood & Beauty
by Sarah Dunant

5.0 out of 5 stars You wouldn't want the Borgias as your neighbours!, 25 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Blood & Beauty (Hardcover)
Gave this as a birthday present to my mum who is a real history geek, she loved it. Glad I never had to deal with any of the Borgias, they were really clever, hard, cruel people.

Abdication
Abdication
by Juliet Nicolson

3.0 out of 5 stars Edward and Mrs Simpson are always fascinating!, 25 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Abdication (Paperback)
A fictional account of the year in which the relationship between Edward VIII and Mrs Simpson reached a crisis point and resulted in the abdication. The main protagonist is a young female chauffeuse who often drives one of Mrs Simpson's old school chums from the USA. The situation is set against the rising tensions of facism, and Mosley's black shirts stirring up anti-semitism in the East End of London. Lots of good historical fact, but the storyline struck me as somewhat artificial.

China: Museums
China: Museums
by Miriam Clifford

5.0 out of 5 stars The ONLY guide book to the museums of China, 25 Nov. 2013
This review is from: China: Museums (Paperback)
I live in Beijing but travel round China quite a bit. This book is an essential for me, as it covers about 90% of the museums
in China. The factual info giving location, opening hours, entry fees etc is invaluable, and the descriptions of what each museum holds and how good/bad it might be are well written. The authors know their stuff. I will be first in the queue to buy any up-dated edition. If you are planning an independent trip to China and want to visit museums this is a must-have book.

BUILT Slim Neoprene Kindle Sleeve, Lush Flower (fits Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle and Kindle Touch)

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps my kindle safe, 25 Nov. 2013
I prefer the neoprene sleeve for a Kindle to the other types of cover because it is so simple. No zips, fastners etc.
The bright design makes it easy to find in my large handbag which is crammed with too much stuff!

Kindle Paperwhite (5th generation), 6" High Resolution Display (212 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi

5.0 out of 5 stars A replacement for my two year old Kindle, 23 July 2013
My 2nd Kindle (the regular first version) suddenly froze one day, and nothing I did (having contacted Amazon) would unfreeze it. So I replaced it with the Kindle Paper White, and all my books (approx 200) were easily transfered from the old one to the new. I couldn't live without it.

Songs From The Big Rock Candy Mountain
Songs From The Big Rock Candy Mountain

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliving my childhood!, 23 July 2013
My parents had an LP of Burl Ives and when I was young I loved listening to it. This CD brought it all back, and I STILL love his singing and the folksongs.

Freeze: 120 Delicious Recipes and Fantastic New Ways to Use Your Freezer and Make Life Just That Bit Easier
by Justine Pattison

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything you've ever wanted to know about using your freezer - and more., 23 July 2013
Immensely useful and practical guide to getting the best from your freezer. I've learnt some really handy tips and as a result
have maximised freezer space.

Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio (Penguin Classics)
Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio (Penguin Classics)
by Pu Songling

5.0 out of 5 stars China's most famous collection of 'ghost' stories, 23 July 2013
I absolutely love this book, but my Chinese teacher said she couldn't bear to read it as it made her too scared to go to sleep at night! Taught me a lot about Chinese culture, and at long last I think I understand 'fox women'.

Page: 1 | 2