Profile for Jamie M > Reviews

Content by Jamie M

Jamie M (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Laptop AC Adapter Power Supply Charger for Acer Aspire 5315 5742 5732z 5735 5332 5335 5532 5536 7520 7730 AC Adapter Charger with UK Mains Lead - Selectec®
Offered by Tenzy

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good replacement cable, though perhaps a little short, 14 May 2014
A bought this as a replacement power cable for my ACER Aspire 5742 after the original cable broke. This replacement works perfectly with now issues at all, my only slight complaint is that the length of the cable is shorter than my original, though this is not a huge issue it is still worth noting for anyone considering this as a purchase.

Gear4 PU Leather Look Vertical Case Cover for iPhone 5/5S - Black
Gear4 PU Leather Look Vertical Case Cover for iPhone 5/5S - Black
Offered by Hale Communications

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality, but poor sizing, 14 May 2014
I owned the duplicate case for the iPhone 4 and was always very pleased with it's quality and functionality so when I upgraded the the 5s I decided to stick with what I knew. While the quality of the case is of an equal standard the sizing is now an issue, with the case being slightly too wide meaning that the phone is prone to slipping out of the case with relative ease. A shame as I had previously been very happy with my purchase of the older model.

Blankets (New Hardcover Edition)
Blankets (New Hardcover Edition)
by Craig Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely beautiful book, 10 April 2014
Everything about this graphic novel is enchanting. The art-work is beautifully imaging and is hugely evocative, especially the first parts of the book that perfectly recreate the scary and confusing world presented to you as a child. The development of the lead character throughout is hugely engaging and overall this is a massively satisfying read. I would highly recommend this.

Akira Volume 1 (Akira (del Rey))
Akira Volume 1 (Akira (del Rey))
by Katshiro Otomo

5.0 out of 5 stars My first foray into Manga..., 10 Mar. 2014
I've always been a huge fan of graphic novels/ comics but for one reason or another I've never given any Manga books a chance, and on the strength of Akira this certainly won't be my last.

Narratively the book creates a fantastically realised dystopian society and Katshiro Otomo has a superb ability of giving you just enough information to want to want to keep turning the pages but without giving away too much about what is actually going on. It's a very fine balancing act to be able to this but Otomo manages it perfectly. Artistically the book is even better. Within the first few pages you are entirely drawn into the incredible world that has been created.

If, like me, you've never read any other Manga before then I would highly recommend this as a good starting point. It's certainly whet my appetite and I will be looking to read many more in this genre.

New X-Men By Grant Morrison Ultimate Collection Book 3 TPB: Bk. 3 (Graphic Novel Pb)
by Chris Bachalo

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling conclusison to an excellent run, 28 Feb. 2014
When I first began reading Grant Morrision's X-Men run I wasn't entirely convinced of it's quality (though I did go in with very high expectations). The writers strikes at the time of publishing had meant a few lower quality artists had been brought in and, for me at least, effected my enjoyment of the early stage of the run. However, by the final stages of the run the quality is telling in every area of the book. The writing is superb, the art work is of a very high quality and the conclusion to the long developed arc is extremely satisfying.

Lm Technologies 802.11g Wireless G USB Network Adapter for PC
Lm Technologies 802.11g Wireless G USB Network Adapter for PC

1.0 out of 5 stars Overheats consistently and loses connectivity, 28 Feb. 2014
I purchased this as a short-term solution to a laptop which had lost it's wireless connectivity. For the first two days it worked fine, though did occasionally lose connectivity. Though beyond those first few days it's began overheating quickly and stopped working all together. Even as a short-term stop gap it wasn't worth it. Very disappointing.

TeckNet® Xtreme Mini Rechargeable Capsule Speaker For All iPhones, iPods, MP3 Players, Mobile Phones and many others - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor battery life and tinny sound, 28 Feb. 2014
I picked this up as just a cheap little gadget to take away on holiday with me, but even factoring in the low price it was still a waste of money. The battery life was extremely poor, and in hot weather the life reduced even further. To make matters worse the sound quality was dreadful. Mono-sound with a tinny and lifeless quality. Don't make the same mistake I did and spend a little bit more on a higher quality unit to avoid this disappointment,

Kingdom Come TP New Edition
Kingdom Come TP New Edition
by Alex Ross

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully drawn and imaginatively realised, 28 Feb. 2014
The very first thing you have to say about this book is that the art work is absolutely beautiful. Alex Ross' work as both artist and writer on this project is of as high a quality as you could hope to find. In a time where many of the DC/Marvel runs tend to take on a familiar and polished glean to the art work, Alex Ross' work truly stands out as original and instantly recognisable. The narrative of the piece was really engaging and very imaginative, but it's the art work that really makes this book stand out. I highly recommend any fan of comics to read work by Alex Ross and this is a perfect place to start. Highly recommended.

X-Men: Days of Future Past
X-Men: Days of Future Past
by Chris Claremont

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolute classic!, 28 Feb. 2014
This has always been one of my very favourite X-Men runs and this is a nice little TPB collection. As a word of slight warning, it may appear a little dated to some if you're not used to the older Marvel art and writing style. Comics have obviously moved along in a huge way and the 70's/80's stuff has now become a little of an acquired taste.

An obvious talking point is the upcoming film adaptation of the book. I've always felt that this arc would work very well as an adaptation but I do feel a little concerned over the end quality of the film. I don't think any of the films, especially the awful Wolverine films, have really captured the X-Men to a high standard yet. I'll go into the film with an open mind but just from the images of the Sentinals I'm already wary. oh, and Quick Silver's character design looks dreadful as well.

Back to the book, as long as the older style is your cup of tea then I'd really recommend this TPB. Claremont's run on X-Men was immense and this is one of his real high points.

Black Leather Case Cover Wallet For Amazon Kindle 4 4th Generation 2011
Black Leather Case Cover Wallet For Amazon Kindle 4 4th Generation 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars Durable and good quality finish, 28 Feb. 2014
I've had this Kindle case for over a year now and despite daily use and being battered around in my work bag every day it's still as good as new. It's kept my Kindle in perfect condition and for the price it's been a superb purchase. Recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5