Profile for Jay24 > Reviews

Jay24 (UK)

Razer Goliathus Alpha Speed Mouse Mat Fragged
Razer Goliathus Alpha Speed Mouse Mat Fragged

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect cloth mouse mat, 22 Oct. 2013
If there's one thing I really hate, it's being a fanboy for a particular brand. I've always bought the products that suit me best rather than adhering to some ridiculous brand loyalty... So it slightly pains me to say that I have recently been buying a lot of Razer products and finding they are (mostly) all superb. My desk now looks like an advert for Razer!

The Razer Goliathus Alpha is a seriously good mouse mat. In fact it is the best I've ever used... And that's from someone who was using a QcK+ until now. However, the most important thing about this review, is that it is subjective - different people like different surfaces, so what works for me, may not for another person.

I bought a QcK+ a few weeks ago, and whilst I liked it, I didn't love it. It felt a little 'draggy', and just wasn't as smooth as I would have liked. I thought it may be due to upgrading from a hard mouse pad that I loved and had owned for probably 5 years or more (I had to replace it as the surface was starting to wear away!). Slightly disappointed with the QcK+ I decided to take the plunge and try the Goliathus Alpha to see if made a difference. Please note this is the SPEED version of the mat - there is also a CONTROL version with a more textured surface.

The Goliathus surface IS perfect. It is extremely slick with an incredibly tight weave. It feels almost like nylon but softer. The mouse really glides over it effortlessly. This is why I gave the mat 5 stars - but there are other nice aspects to it.

The size is good, but slightly smaller than the QcK+. (It's hard to visualise the size of the Alpha, but a very rough idea would be to put two pieces of A4 paper next to each other touching on the long edges - the Alpha is about 1cm wider, and 3cm taller than this)

The edges of the mat are braided. I didn't find this uncomfortable on my wrist, and I hope this signals that the edges won't fray or scuff up in future. Overall the construction quality is very good.

The underneath of the mat is very grippy. I have it on a glass topped desk, and the mat is solid. - No movement at all. The mat comes rolled in a box, but was perfectly flat once unrolled.

There's not much more I can say. If you're looking for a new cloth mouse mat - I can not recommend it enough. It's brilliant. I'm under no illusion that this will make me a better gamer, it is simply a comfort /ergonomic / practicality factor.

If I REALLY had to nitpick something, it is that the mat is slightly thicker than the QcK+, I liked the flatness of that mat, but it's not an issue and some will prefer the extra give.

Razer Anansi MMO Gaming Keyboard
Razer Anansi MMO Gaming Keyboard
Offered by Dealtime IT

5.0 out of 5 stars The best (non-mechanical) keyboard!, 22 Oct. 2013
I like:
- Fantastic key travel and feel. The keys bounce nicely and give a lot of nice tactile feedback
- Build quality. The keyboard feels solid and doesn't move around in use
- Back lighting of keys. Not only is it extremely configurable, it can also be changed per-profile in Synapse 2.0, so I always know which profile I am set to
- Macro recording. It works so well through the keyboard, and when edited using Synapse 2.0 it becomes an awesome feature
- The extra macro / gaming keys on the left. Really useful for binding macros to
- The sheer amount of configuration the keyboard has when used with Synapse 2.0 software
- Ability to change settings on a connected Razer mouse through keyboard / Synapse 2.0
- I found it very noticeable how I could hold more keys at the same time and still get good response

Nitpicks and stuff I'm not so keen on!:
- The right side of the Caps Lock key should be recessed to stop accidentally hitting it. Lots of keyboards have this, and it would help with my habit of accidentally hitting that key!
- The 7 additional keys below the space bar. I've not found them very useful, especially in their default configuration. They also feel a bit 'squishy' compared to the rest of the keys
- All the standard keys seem a fraction smaller or more closely packed than some keyboards I've used, but I've never had problems accidentally hitting multiple keys during typing (except my annoying habit of hitting the Caps Lock key)

Future improvements:
I can't really call these faults or things I didn't like as I knew they were not features of the product I bought, but I'm including them in case they are important to people looking for a new keyboard...
- Zoned back lighting to define different functional areas and highlight important keys would be great
- Separate media keys would add value
- Detachable wrist wrest
- Back lighting for the 7 additional keys below the spacebar

Despite a few nitpicks this is the best rubber domed keyboard I have ever used. It is awesome for MMO's, and I have also used it for FPS games and general typing. It is not a great deal bigger than a normal keyboard so won't eat desk space. I think it is just about good value for money. Considering keyboards generally last many many years I don't see this as an expensive purchase. It is very quiet to type on, so is the perfect device if you don't like clicky mechanical keys. The combination of keyboard and the Synapse 2.0 software really adds a lot of functionality. I've found games like Final Fantasy XIV much easier to play because of this keyboard.

I highly recommend this keyboard to any gamers.

For info:
When I was researching a new keyboard I also considered:
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 - Rejected as I don't like really loud clicky mechanical keyboards
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Stealth - Rejected as Razer do not sell a UK layout (I would have bought this keyboard instead of the Anansi if they had a UK layout)
Corsair Vengeance K90 - Too big
Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry brown keys) - Too expensive and no extra keys
Various Logitech G series - I love their mice, but not a fan of their keyboards

Razer Naga 2014 Expert MMO Gaming Mouse (Right Handed)
Razer Naga 2014 Expert MMO Gaming Mouse (Right Handed)

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect!, 12 Oct. 2013
My previous two mice were the Logitech G5 and MX518 - two of the finest mice ever made. I decided it was time to change as the G5 was starting to show its age and I wanted something that would give extra functionality in MMO's, but also be a good all round mouse.

The mouse is well made and put together. It doesn't feel quite as 'expensive' as the G5, but it is nice with some good details. The surface is very slightly textured hard plastic which is easy to grip, and there is a rubberised area on the side where the little finger sits, which is really nice. Ergonomically it is good with a comfortable recess for the ring finger and a nicely rounded shape. It should really suit people who rest their entire palm on the mouse. It is slightly less suitable for claw grip as the keypad buttons can get in the way. I use a combination of palm / claw and found it pretty comfortable, but it does take some time to get used to having the thumb resting on keys. As a result I did get a bit of cramp in my little finger, but suspect this will reduce as I adjust from the G5. It should suit large or small hands OK. Unlike the Naga 2012 this mouse does not have swappable side panels for different hand sizes, but the design of the 2014 model should suit almost everyone.

The star of the show is the keypad on the side. 12 mechanical buttons are all within easy reach of thumb placement, although buttons 10, 11 and 12 need a little stretch. The buttons click nicely and are perfectly weighted / responsive, so accidentally pressing them should be rare. Out of the box these buttons are mapped to the keys 1 through 9 plus 0, - and =. This overcomes one of the biggest problems of MMO's which is reaching for the keys to the right of the '5' on a standard keyboard.

Adapting to and using the keypad didn't take long. The keys are perfectly shaped so that it is easy to know where the 2, 5 and 8 keys are, and finding any others from there is simple.

This is a wired mouse, with braided cable and gold plated USB connector. The weight is not too heavy or light - unlike some other gaming mice, there is no option to add / remove weight, but unless you lift the mouse a lot I don't think this is a problem. The feet are extremely slick so the mouse glides effortlessly across surfaces. I have only tried it on a hard mouse mat (Razer Exactmat X Speed) which was great - but I will be swapping it for a cloth mat soon to avoid wear on the feet. The sensitivity / dpi of the mouse is set to 1800 which I initially found a bit high in general use, but have now got used to. The Naga can go up to 8400, which seems ridiculous to me as anything over about 2800 is too fast - but I'm probably just getting old!! In MMO's I think sensitivity needs to be dropped, so I normally go for 1400 - 1600.

The mouse wheel could do with a little more 'click' as it is rotated, and I'd like a fraction more travel with the middle click. Side to side clicks are fine and I've not found any problem with accidentally getting a side click when going for a middle click. The mouse wheel is rubberised with little bumps so no chance of slipping, but I'm not keen on the feel - would have preferred a grippy smooth rubber.

Lighting is green only, and can be controlled through software to light up the logo and / or keypad and / or mouse wheel. It would have been nice to have customisable lighting, as I could then use that as a visual reminder of which profile I have selected.

Overall this is an easy mouse to recommend for MMO players. I immediately found it easier and more convenient to use the Naga keypad than stretch across the keyboard for buttons. Combined with the Synapse 2.0 software it allows far more functionality to be added - for example, I can map Ctrl or Alt +1 to = on my Razer Anansi keyboard, and use the standard 1 to = on the Naga. This gives a huge amount of flexibility and customisability.

The reasons I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars is for a small number of nitpicky issues that many people won't care about. A slight issue with using it in claw grip gets a negative. The slightly spongy mouse wheel rotation (which is more personal preference than a fault). The lack of a general profile out of the box (for example mapping mouse keys 4 and 5 to sensitivity step changes. Mapping keypad 3 and 6 to forward / backwards in browser. Using left and right mouse wheel click to scroll left and right - all things the G5 did as standard). I would also say that to get the most out of this mouse you need the Synapse 2.0 software, which is good, but not great.

If you're primarily an MMO / RPG player - buy this mouse.

To get the most out of the mouse it is essential to download the Synapse 2.0 software. This allows much more control over the features such as creating macros and reassigning key mappings. I'm adding a review of the current version of the software (1.14) but as software can and will be updated this shouldn't impact the review of the hardware, hence why I've added this after my main review of the Naga 2014.

Synapse 2 allows every button on the mouse (except left click) to be remapped which is really handy, and profiles to be created for different needs. I currently have a general use profile for web browsing etc, and then separate profiles for each game. Setting up the profiles is really easy and there's a lot of functionality built in, such as mappings for media keys, ability to launch programs, assign and edit macros and more.

Another great feature is that if you have a Razer keyboard the software allows the two devices to 'talk' to each other. This means I can set up keyboard shortcuts that change the profile on the mouse, adjust sensitivity and other features. I can also use the Naga to change profiles on the keyboard. A nice feature that I hope is expanded on.

Other than customising the key mappings, the software allows adjusting performance (polling, sensitivity and acceleration) and it's nice to see that X and Y sensitivity can be split if needed. Lighting can be adjusted, and the mouse can be calibrated for the surface it is used on. In addition macros can be assigned and edited which works really well. The final feature is called 'Add On' which allows games that support the feature to have custom mappings / overlays added. I've found the list to be disappointingly small, but if you play WoW it has you well covered.

The overlay feature, which is well advertised hasn't worked in any game I tried. It is supposed to allow a keypress to call up an overlay in-game that allows mappings to to be created or adjusted on the fly. It sounds really useful, but I can't comment further. I hope Razer support this feature and the Add Ons better in future software updates.

One of the things that could be improved, is to tie together keyboard and mouse profiles a bit better. For example when I launch a particular game it should change both the keyboard and related mouse profile. It can be done, but requires more effort than I think should be needed. If you don't have a Razer keyboard the only option is to change profiles using the tray icon (a few clicks and easy to forget) or create mappings on the Naga itself, which takes up precious keys!

Another negative is the requirement to create a free account with Razer to use the software. This is annoying, and there should be an option to ignore the Razer cloud features.

In summary the software works and adds a great deal to the Naga, but needs more refinement.

LG DM2780D-PZ 27 Inch Cinema 3D LED 1920 x 1080 Resolution 7,000,000:1 TV Monitor with Built-in 5W Speakers x 2

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag!, 7 May 2012
It's really quite difficult to review this monitor as for the price it is an exceptional bargain. However just because it is cheap doesn't mean it should be let off the hook for poor performance in some of the key areas.

As a TV and computer monitor it is really good value, and I was impressed by the picture quality. Playing a couple of Blu-Ray's on it, the key areas, such as shadows, looked OK. Text isn't as crisp as some screens I've used, but I'm willing to let that slide as this is a budget TV/Monitor - but if you intend to do a lot of word processing, or other text based activities I'm not sure this is a good product for you. Set up is very easy. I would have liked to find an HDMI cable in the box, but at this price they have to cut costs! If I were just reviewing this product for the TV / monitor performance I would have given it 4 stars.

I didn't really buy this for its 3D performance, as I believe that 3D only works well on large screens from a good distance. I was pleasantly surprised by the 3D effect wearing the included glasses - and I am pleased to report I did not have any of the 'purple haze / head tilting' issues others have reported.

However, in my opinion I encountered something just as bad. The 3D effect doesn't seem to be very good from straight on. I checked the manual and followed the instructions for optimum viewing angle - however it just doesn't seem to work. The only way to get the full effect of 3D was to look down at quite a sharp angle (probably 30-45degrees). This is just not acceptable. There's no way I can position myself that far above the monitor to get the proper effect. It also means it doesn't work at all when watching from bed, as the monitor is positioned just a tiny bit above eye level.

I don't think this is to do with the provided glasses as I have tried a number of pairs and all give the same result. This is hugely disappointing and I'm consider myself lucky I was not buying this screen for 3D - as it would have been immediately returned.

A great budget monitor for TV / computer use, but would definitely not recommend it for 3D.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2012 10:08 PM BST

Logitech Harmony One UK - Advanced Universal Remote Control (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 23 Sept. 2011
The good
Fairly simple set up for basic use
Good build quality
Supports just about every device
Built in battery and included charging cradle

The bad
Some button lag
Hard to set up complex actions
Software set up can be frustrating
No Bluetooth

This remote enabled me to get rid of 4 other remote's (Amp, TV, Sky, Mac Mini), and it works very well. The touch screen is a nice addition. The built in Help is also good if any devices get out of sync (i.e. if you manually turn off a device the remote doesn't know this, so the Help quickly and easily gets things back to normal).

Setting it up via PC is very easy once you get your head around the fact you are using the remote to control 'Activities' not just the individual devices. (i.e. You set up a 'Watch TV' activity which may require Amp On and set to specific input, TV On and set specific input, Sky box On, remote should then act as a Sky remote etc)

To replace the four remote's took me about 2 hours, and 3 attempts to get everything right - but I would consider that a medium complexity set up. A basic set up could take minutes.

The input lag on the buttons is to be expected and I've seen this on other universal remote's. My advice... Don't go crazy scrolling through your TV Guide as you may find it takes a long time to stop!!!

All the major problems with the device stem from the software in my opinion. For example... controlling a Mac Mini is not perfect as the master on/off of the remote conflicts with the Sleep setting on the Mini. Also some buttons can not be configured for some devices. It can be frustrating if something simple appears to be impossible in the software (like excluding a device from the master on/off - which is impossible I think!)

This is definitely nit picking but... It would also have been nice if Logitech had made the Harmony One Bluetooth compatible (even if that meant a small price increase), as you have to buy a separate device for controlling the PlayStation 3 which adds a bit of clutter.

There is a fairly active support community on the Logitech forums for those that get stuck or need more help.

Overall I am extremely happy with the remote. It may not be for absolute technophobes, but most people should be able to get it to do what they want.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality product, 23 Sept. 2011
For the price this is the best value and most robust case.

It fits the Kindle perfectly, adds a useful pocket (for USB cable), and looks kinda cool too.

The construction quality is very good. The zip feels secure and unlikely to break.

If I'm on the train I keep the Kindle in the jacket, and although it adds a lot of thickness it's still comfortable to hold.

Not a lot more I can say other than it does what it needs to!

Apple Magic Trackpad
Apple Magic Trackpad

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 23 Sept. 2011
It really is this simple...

OSX Lion + Magic Trackpad = the best user experience in an Operating System.

If you're a gamer then move along, this device is not for you.

If you spend a lot of time web browsing, reading RSS feeds, emailing, photo manipulation and general use - it's perfect.

I found I needed to change a few settings in OSX Lion to get it set up exactly as I liked, but this was easy and just a bit of trial and error to find the perfect workflow.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Limited Edition (PS3)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Limited Edition (PS3)
Offered by b68solutions

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but flawed, 23 Sept. 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Deus Ex is a decent game, it's fun, but it could have been so much more.

The story is pretty weak, and not particularly well told. The enemy AI is as dumb as a sack of bricks. The game asks us to explore what it is to be human, but playing as Adam Jensen feels like controlling a puppet rather than being immersed in a futuristic world and unravelling its mysteries.

No matter what moral choices are made along the way they have little impact, and the game only gives an illusion of freedom. In fact much of the game world and NPC's feel static and flat - including the pretty poor and emotionless voice acting.

Having said all that negative stuff, the game is enjoyable. The upgradeable augmentations allow the player to tailor their character to different styles (stealth, combat, hacking and so on). The weapons are fun and I really enjoyed some of the gun battles; and the fact you can play the entire game and not kill a single enemy (with some exceptions) will appeal to some people.

Overall I liked the game, but didn't love it. It's completely forgettable and even though there are different endings, and ways to approach the game, I have no compulsion to go for another play through.

Fly London Men's Ronny Boot
Fly London Men's Ronny Boot

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst pair of boots I have bought, 4 Dec. 2009
I bought these on the 26th Oct, and have worn them only a few times (less than a dozen). No excessive use... just walking about!!!

These boots are extremely poorly made for the price. Part of their appeal is they have a certain 'hand-made' look - for example the heel is glued, and also tacked with nails.

First I noticed a nail had pushed through the back of the heel, as it had been tacked too close to the edge. This left slight damage to the heel, but nothing noticeable.

Now the sole is coming away from the toe.

Sure, I could try and superglue it back on, but I would expect a pair of boots to last more than 5-6 weeks! I will be trying to get a refund on these!

The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar (PC DVD)
The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar (PC DVD)
Offered by UclickWeDeliver

4.0 out of 5 stars All round good MMORPG, 3 Jun. 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
If you've never played an MMORPG, this is a great one to start with. A friendly community, always ready to help, and a shallow learning curve to ease you in to the game.

If you're an MMORPG veteran there's nothing particularly new or innovative here. It's standard MMRPG fare, set in the wonderful LotR world. If you have played World of Warcraft this game takes a lot of influence from it... Even the interface shares many similarities.

The game makes pretty good use of the LotR licence and if you love Tolkien's world you'll get a great buzz visiting the places from the book - The Prancing Pony, The Shire and so on.

No MMORPG is perfect and LotR seems to lack some end-game content - but as with any MMORPG, it is an ongoing development. Surprisingly for such a new game there are very few immediately apparent bugs, and it is one of the few MMORPG's that didn't make me feel like a paying beta tester!

The game can only get better and better, and that's a heartening thought!