Profile for Grace Noted > Reviews

Content by Grace Noted

Grace Noted (Brighton, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Bright Lights, Big City
Bright Lights, Big City
by Jay McInerney

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia, 18 Aug 2013
Reading this nearly thirty years after the fact, BLBC becomes more than it was when it was first released, because there is so much nostalgia for the reader who lived through the period.

More importantly than that is the fact that Jay McInerney is a fine writer, very probably a great writer and someone that anyone interested in American literature should read. This book is wonderful, dark, funny and pretty bleak, but most of all a delight to read.

The Many Lives of Marilyn Monroe
The Many Lives of Marilyn Monroe
by Sarah Churchwell

5.0 out of 5 stars A meta biography, 18 Aug 2013
Anyone looking for new "facts" or theories about how Marilyn Monroe died will be disappointed, but they'll be the only ones. This is well written, interesting, engaging and thought provoking. As a Monroe fan it made me further question a lot of what I'd previously read. In terms of general biographies, it also made me think more closely about research and the bias of the biographer. Biographies are often presented to us as objective but are very much a subjective endeavour.

Sarah Churchwell is really worth reading and I'm very much looking forward to reading her latest work, Careless People.

Mad Men and Philosophy: Nothing is as it Seems (The Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series)
by James B. South

4.0 out of 5 stars Intellectualising advertising, 29 April 2013
This is a great and thought provoking series of philosophical essays. If you love Mad Men and find yourself thinking about the whys and wherefores of the characters and the evolution of the narrative and stories, you'll enjoy reading this book, which adds to those thoughts and gives a philosophical explanation of many aspects of the series that always makes sense even when you don't necessarily entirely agree with it. whether you are well-schooled in philosophy or a beginner who'd quite like to know a bit more, you will enjoy this book. I'm somewhere between the two and enjoyed getting a better understanding of the various schools of thought while seeing different aspects of various characters. Would definitely recommend to Mad Men fans.

The Dressmaker
The Dressmaker
by Kate Alcott

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 29 April 2013
This review is from: The Dressmaker (Paperback)
This is a small interesting tale that concentrates on a less well known aspect of the aftermath of the sinking of the Titanic and the actions of two of the famous passengers, through the eyes and experience of the dressmaker. Lighter than I expected but enjoyable. I would read this author again.

The Mystery of Mercy Close
The Mystery of Mercy Close
by Marian Keyes

5.0 out of 5 stars She's back., 4 Dec 2012
Like most fans I've been missing Marian, but was worried about this as Helen had always been my list favourite of her characters. This beautiful book made me change my mind and as a fellow sufferer of the dreaded clinical depression, I loved reading something that made me exclaim 'yes! That's just how I feel!'

A great story, a great read, Marian Keyes never lets you down.

The Ladies' Paradise (Oxford World's Classics)
The Ladies' Paradise (Oxford World's Classics)
by Émile Zola

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Zola, 4 Dec 2012
It's been few years since I've read Zola and when I started this, I felt like giving up, then I remembered that it's always that way with him. He's a slow burn, but once you let yourself go and get into his groove, this is just a wonderful read. It also feels very current as many of the issues in this book are still pertinent today. Give Zola a chance, he always delivers an interesting tale that leaves you thinking

Married by Christmas
Married by Christmas
by Scarlett Bailey

5.0 out of 5 stars Liked this a lot, 4 Dec 2012
This review is from: Married by Christmas (Paperback)
A wonderful Christmas chicklit read. I've previously read Scarlett Bailey and was not at all disappointed by the warmth of this book.

Me Before You
Me Before You
by Jojo Moyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Me Before You, 21 May 2012
This review is from: Me Before You (Paperback)
I bought this book as part of a three paperbacks for £10 offer. I was only vaguely interested in reading it and left it until the end, reading the others first. I didn't feel drawn to it, thought it might be just about okay and would have put it off longer if I had another book around to read. I'm glad I didn't. So much more than the cover outline suggests. This book made me laugh and cry and taught me so much about life, the quality of really living, the way in which past pain can prevent us from moving forward and how sometimes when you love someone enough you'll do more for them than you think is possible and face the worst no matter what. JoJo Moyles is a wonderful author and this is a truly beautiful book. Read it with tissues to hand, because you will almost certain cry, probably while laughing at the same time.

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep
by S J Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars Before I Go To Sleep, 21 May 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
This had me gripped from the first page. Wonderfully written with a narrator who isn't even sure that she can trust herself let alone those around her, the reader is never quite sure who to trust either. As it continues, your doubts will make you think things that seem to awful to be true, but are they? You may figure out what is happening before the end, but if you do, you'll almost certainly tell yourself you're wrong because that is simply too awful to be true. Suspensive, well written and it also has to be noted that the author has a wonderful incite into the mind of his female narrator. Highly recommended.

The Paris Wife
The Paris Wife
by Paula McLain

5.0 out of 5 stars The Paris Wife, 21 May 2012
This review is from: The Paris Wife (Paperback)
This is a beautifully written book that brings the period to life in every word. You don't have to be a fan of Hemingway to enjoy this book, in fact if you're slightly ambivalent about him as a person, you may enjoy it all the more. However, if you're not at all interested in literature, art, the 1920s, love, relationships, friendship, pain, laughter and living, then this may not be the book for you. If any of the above appeal to you (!), I think you are in for a treat. I found it was a slow burner. I wasn't hooked immediately, but I'd put it down and then find myself drawn back to it. I slowly realised I was in love with it and just trying to avoid giving myself to it completely. I did and my love was returned in full. A glorious sense of time, place and characters and a glorious read.

Page: 1 | 2