Profile for Andrew Chapman > Reviews

Content by Andrew Chapman

Andrew Chapman (Bournemouth, England)

The John Lennon Letters: Edited and with an Introduction by Hunter Davies
The John Lennon Letters: Edited and with an Introduction by Hunter Davies
by John Lennon
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars With regards to the paper, 2 Nov 2012
People have been complaining about the quality of the paper in this book. I have my copy in front of me now and I can assure you it is very good. Thick and velvet to the touch.

It is unclear but I think the complaint is more to do with the way the letters are presented in the book. An A4 letter, hand written by john, might be reproduced about 3 times smaller than its original size. You can still read the letter very clearly and each letter has a typed transcript next to it to show what it reads (sometimes John Lennon's handwriting is unreadable so this is welcome). Also, other things aren't actual size (postcards etc). But a lot of care as gone into the layout of each page and for me personally this has not been a hindrance.

If everything was shown in full size the book would be about 3 times thicker and a lot of Amazon delivery men will be off sick with broken backs. Postman will be seen dragging the thing along the damp pavement behind them, or rolling them along felled tree trunks like druids. Eager dogs waiting at letter boxes will be crushed to death as the giant slab of Lennon came falling down on them, like a giant hardback tomb stone.

This book is excellent value for money (10 at time of writing this review). And we shouldn't let these minor squabbles bring the star rating down. I don't know if you've checked the American Amazon site, but our friendly and excitable cousins have given the book, and the personal quality it brings to John Lennon's legacy, a healthy and strong five star backing while we are close to shunning it. Now, we can't have that can we.