Profile for CB2X > Reviews

Content by CB2X

CB2X "charliebass" (Derbyshire, UK)

Wharfedale Pro PMX500 Lightweight 150W Powered Mixer with 4 Microphone Inputs
Wharfedale Pro PMX500 Lightweight 150W Powered Mixer with 4 Microphone Inputs

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the price, 23 Dec. 2014
Very good for the price, could really do with a 'monitor out' rather than just a 'mix out'. I know it's big brother does but that's the only thing I can fault it on.

Live In Derby 75
Live In Derby 75
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars The first gig I ever went to !, 18 April 2014
This review is from: Live In Derby 75 (Audio CD)
I can't believe this recording has appeared almost out of nowhere. I had no idea it was being recorded when I went to my first ever gig as a 14 year old at the old Derby Kings Hall in the winter of 1975. I remember thinking the support band was BGA and was surprised when 'another band' appeared! It was a great gig and this recording does it real justice (not that I remember it that well after nearly 40 years). I recommend it to anybody who was around in Derby in the mid 70's and went to those great Kings Hall gigs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2015 9:57 PM GMT

The Mountain
The Mountain

5.0 out of 5 stars Best new prog for a long time, 23 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Mountain (Audio CD)
I'd not heard of or heard Haken until a track appeared on the free sampler of PROG magazine. I was intrigued by Cockroach King to say the least. This a great album, not too much chugga-chugga-chugga-chugga riffing as with so many new prog outfits and plenty of variety. There's a bit of jazz, a bit of folk, Indian and classical influences, even some humour (!) and a suitable nod here and there to old progressive favourites. Gentle Giant-esque in places and reckon I heard a bit of ELP in the vocals somewhere. This is right up there with recent releases from Mr.Wilson, Lifesigns, DT and the like. A friend of mine says it's a bit too prog; that's good enough for me.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2014 12:47 AM BST

Genesis Revisited II
Genesis Revisited II
Offered by cdquick

5.0 out of 5 stars Revisited II - a short review, 29 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Genesis Revisited II (Audio CD)
It's been well worth the wait since 'Revisited I' came out in 1996. This is a great album and it has not left my "turntable" since it arrived in the post a few days go. The choice of material is fabulous, the recording and production is top notch and it goes without saying that the musicianship is right up there. This wouldn't however be a proper review if it were praise alone so here goes.

Whilst I quite like the idea of a having a huge 'band' and lots of singers sharing the duties, some of the vocals leave a bit to be desired. Neither of the renditions of 'Earl' or 'Ripples' quite do it for me in the vocal department while some others, for example 'chamber of 32', 'hogweed' and 'can utility' work really well. I also think a few tracks lack a bit of 'umphh' somehow, the beginning of 'Earl' comes to mind again although overall I really do like this version. Also whilst I agree with some other commentators that some of the tracks on 'Revisited I' were changed rather too much, one or two on this release, for example 'Entangled' are recreated with such a reverence to the original that it's almost difficult to understand why they bothered re-doing it. I would like to have seen just a few more risks taken.

The other effect of having listed to this collection a lot over the last few days is that I think I'll now "Revisit" some of those albums that have rather tended to sit and collect dust over recent years. I'm a bit of a "if it ain't 'Selling England', 'Trick of the Tail', 'Wind & Wuthering' or 'Seconds Out' then I don't play it" sort of fellow. 'Nursery Cryme' really was a great album and I'd forgotten 'Can Utility and the Coastliners' completely !

So to musing .... this is almost like the real Genesis have reformed, just without messers Banks, Rurherford, Collins (and Gabriel ?) and are about to go on tour showcasing their best ever material. What joy, I for one can't wait to see the live show next year, I wonder who will be in the band with him by then !?

My recommendation for what it's worth - treat yourself, buy this album.

The Underfall Yard
The Underfall Yard

4.0 out of 5 stars Best new prog album of 2009 ?, 8 Jan. 2010
This review is from: The Underfall Yard (Audio CD)
I loved the Difference Machine (my favourite album of 2007) and Gathering Speed so could barely wait for The Underfall Yard and duly pre-ordered it from the band's website. Imagine my disappointment when I didn't like it much at all ! I should have remembered that some of my favourite albums ever have taken numerous listens to bed themselves in and that some of those albums that sound great first time round lose their appeal quite quickly. The Underfall Yard is quite different to the Difference Machine, a few changes in guest personnel especially the new singer and I suppose that's what put me off at the beginning. Anyway it's taken quite a few spins but now I get it. There are some quite breathtakingly lovely moments and overall the album delivers in great 70's YES/Genesis style. I would heartily recommend it now.
ps. I really like the prog brass band stuff

10 June 2010 - OK so an update is required here ... after a few months of listening to this 'disappointing' album almost every day, I love it. The three tracks in the middle: Victorian Brickwork, Last Train and Winchester Diver (especially Victorian Brickwork) are magnificent and the rest are all pretty good too. It really did need a few spins like all the best albums. Probably my favourite album of 2009 and I still love all the brass stuff, a masterstroke !

The Difference Machine
The Difference Machine

5.0 out of 5 stars Prog masterpiece, 13 Feb. 2009
This review is from: The Difference Machine (Audio CD)
Imagine a lineup of Banks, Squire and Bruford with Howe and Hackett sharing lead, playing stuff from around the Yes Album / Nursery Cryme era. Add something approximating to Anderson (but more interesting) with guest spots from Wakeman and Mel Collins in his Camel days (the previous album was even more Camel-ish), then add a hint of Porcupine Tree / Radiohead and that's the sort of sound you can expect from this great album. I picked up on BBT after they appeared on some freebie sampler with a music mag. That one track aroused my interest and I wasn't disappointed when I invested in this recording. Every track is either a huge masterpiece or a short interlude type mini-masterpiece. Also and unusually, it gets better and better as the album progresses. The final two tracks are absolutely magnificent. I has permanent status at position CD1 in my car multi-changer and even my younger daughter (18) thinks it's "lovely" - praise indeed ! If you enjoyed the prog heydays of the 70's but have been a bit disappointed by more recent stuff by those bands or newer bands of that ilk, try this album - you'll not be disappointed. Five stars.
Charlie Bass
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 5, 2015 3:09 PM BST

Blue In Black And White
Blue In Black And White
Offered by SweetBuzzards

4.0 out of 5 stars Great prog/jazz album from the New Noakes, 20 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Blue In Black And White (Audio CD)
"Blue in Black and White" is a great album from Pete Oxley's New Noakes Internationals. If you like your jazz modern and refined and exciting with hints of blues, prog rock, Pat Metheny and latin then this is for you. Try it.