Profile for Di > Reviews

Content by Di

Di

Virgil: Selections from the Aeneid (Translations from Greek and Roman Authors)
Virgil: Selections from the Aeneid (Translations from Greek and Roman Authors)
by Virgil

5.0 out of 5 stars Very accessible, 30 May 2014
A perfect introduction to the Aeneid for younger students. Nice, accessible translations and summarises the more dense sections. OCR and AQA GCSE set text.

The Pearliad (The Arca Trilogy Book 1)
The Pearliad (The Arca Trilogy Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars super read, 14 April 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed reading the 'Pearliad' and would recommend it to others. I enjoyed the style and fluency of the writing which carried me through the story and action effortlessly. The subject matter was an exciting blend of the domestic with magic, mythology and mystery and the author created a believable and exciting world where the Roman Empire did not fall. My one criticism is that it was too short and when I was deeply immersed in the story, it stopped! I am looking forward to the next two instalments. Hurry them up please!! :-D

Philomena: The true story of a mother and the son she had to give away (film tie-in edition)
by Martin Sixsmith

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 23 Mar 2014
I found this book a compelling read. From the moment I picked it up, I found it hard to put down. I liked the style of writing and the sensitive portrayal of the characters meant it was easy to be drawn in. It wasn't Philomena's story, however, it was her son's, but his struggles and the prejudices he faced throughout his life provided a harrowing tale made all the more poignant by the fact it was a true story. I challenge any reader not to empathise with Philomena and the love she had for her son, living in constant dread that he would be taken from her. The manner of his removal and what could possibly have gone through the mind of such a young child at that time still brings a lump to my throat and causes me to hold my children that little bit tighter.

I don't want to say much more and spoil people's reading but Anthony/Michael's story is a real education in prejudice and the struggles of one man who couldn't conform in an unforgiving society. I was appalled at the narrow minded and medieval attitudes of the Catholic Church, American society and political institutions. I think there was an element of bias from the author towards the Church, Michael's adoptive father and some others but that is for people to decide themselves.

This is an excellent book and I recommend it to all.

Sekonda Icy White Polycarbonate Bracelet Ladies Watch 4406
Sekonda Icy White Polycarbonate Bracelet Ladies Watch 4406
Offered by GoldBar Watches

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish., 23 Mar 2014
Fell to bits the moment I tried to fit the strap. Unfortunately, hubby had already thrown out the packaging. It was cheap, so at least I didn't waste too much money.

Twelve Years a Slave
Twelve Years a Slave

5.0 out of 5 stars ahead of its time., 16 Mar 2014
Beautifully rendered in simple, honest prose. You can hear the author's sadness and emotion as they recount the suffering endured for 12 years. The injustices described cannot fail to move you to empathise with the characters and their lot in life. This novel illustrates the horrors of slavery better than anything else I've read and I recommend it to all.

The Medea Complex
The Medea Complex

1.0 out of 5 stars Disgraceful, 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Medea Complex (Kindle Edition)
I requested this book from a family member for my birthday after I saw it recommneded on a social network site. The blurb and the reviews I read made it sound a compelling read and I was intrigued. However, from the beginning it was clear that this was an amateur writer, which was fine, as everybody has to start somewhere I suppose. What lay less easily with me was the truly appalling grammar. I find it extraordinary that someone professing to be a writer would even consider charging money, let alone submitting to the public sphere, a piece of writing in which the author clearly has no concept of where an apostrophe should be placed. That, coupled with the incorrect use of 'whom' and other irksome spelling and grammar mistakes disturbed my reading considerably.

In terms of the actual story, the concepts and ideas were good, unfortunately, the author lacked the skill to tell this in a satisfying manner. Her characters were underdeveloped, inconsistent and pretty much one dimensional. There was no discernible character development or exploration and at points their portrayal was verging on the ridiculous (the sleeping lawyer comes to mind).

The 'twist' at the end was poorly done and again somewhat ridiculous. The true motivations of Anne did not tie in with how she was portrayed in the beginning, unless she was lying to herself as well as everybody else? The fact that the story was written in the first person was seriously limiting for such an inexpert writer, and I couldn't shake the feeling that she had chosen this method to convey her story as a means of avoiding character development and supporting narrative. Dialogue that was supposed to be (I think) gritty and tense came across as silly and superficial and reminded me of a school kid's attempts at creative writing. The death of the husband, where he more or less stated 'and then I died' was testimony to how poor the writing came across. Further to this, the text was littered with inaccuracies such as modern language, use of plastic bags (in 1886!!), CID officers and such like. Should the author ever consider publishing another novel, I suggest she find someone with a higher level of literacy than she to do her proof reading and editing and perhaps attend some sort of writing course and actually learn how to write.
Comment Comments (47) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2014 10:48 PM GMT