Profile for narnold > Reviews

The Greenhouse
The Greenhouse
by Audur Ava Olafsdottir

5.0 out of 5 stars A green gem, 14 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Greenhouse (Paperback)
Basically, just a really lovely book... A nice story with a difference - gently and thoughtfully done. I would like to read further Audur novels as a result.

Mercy (Department Q 1)
Mercy (Department Q 1)
by Jussi Adler-Olsen

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice surprise, 10 Feb 2012
This review is from: Mercy (Department Q 1) (Paperback)
This was a good buy and I enjoyed reading and getting to know the main character, Carl Mųrck. He seemed, like Arnaldur Indrišason's character in the Reyjavik Murder series, a lot more plausible and, on the whole, real. The humour throughout the book is great and keeps a little spice in there. I look forward to the next translated book!

Unwanted
Unwanted
by Kristina Ohlsson

3.0 out of 5 stars semi-wanted, 25 Jan 2012
This review is from: Unwanted (Paperback)
This book is o-kay... Not terrible. Not fantastic. It sits on the midline. There are many areas where the translation is just awkward and messy, and I found myself wanting to get out a pen to correct certain things. I'd be interested to see how the author's style develops in the next novel.

Dregs
Dregs
by Jorn Lier Horst

4.0 out of 5 stars We wait for more, 16 Dec 2011
This review is from: Dregs (Paperback)
Shows good potential! I look forward to the next Lier Horst novel in English.

However, I couldn't help but think of a similar, real-life case in Canada where feet kept appearing along the shoreline. From memory I think it took place a couple years ago. Am wondering if there's a link, if that was cause for some of the inspiration?

Had I not known of that, then I probably would've been about 10% more enthusiastic. So, it was a shame that I didn't think it entirely original as a result...

The Killer's Art: Anders Knutas series 4
The Killer's Art: Anders Knutas series 4
by Mari Jungstedt

2.0 out of 5 stars Not beautiful art at all, 13 Dec 2011
When I found out who the killer was I was like: Bah! That's boring...
The whole Johan character annoyed me as well. After reading the first three novels, I found this rather disappointing.

Snowdrops
Snowdrops
by A. D. Miller

3.0 out of 5 stars don't believe the hype..., 2 Nov 2011
This review is from: Snowdrops (Paperback)
I was left pretty disappointed and empty after reading this 'shortlist for the Man Booker prize 2011' novel. I just didn't find the guts of it and to me it wasn't an exciting, rivetting story with a thrilling plot at all. I just felt it could've been so much more - it had the elements and avenues to take it to numerous wild and wintery places, but it decided to stay with a boring and wallpaper-based personality as the main character and a small bunch of very cliched Russians. Pfft!

Outrage (Reykjavik Murder Mysteries 7)
Outrage (Reykjavik Murder Mysteries 7)
by Arnaldur Indridason

3.0 out of 5 stars Bring back the grump!, 4 Sep 2011
I'm a fan of Arnaldur Indridason and have enjoyed reading all the previous Reykjavik Murder Mysteries. I was eager to read Outrage and did so without giving it or the story much thought - thinking it was another good sink-your-teeth-into Erlendur tale. I was totally unaware that the character, Erlendur, wasn't in it as a driving force, but that didn't stop me.
The book was o-kaaay and Indridason managed to make it come through using Elinborg as the main focus. However, it just lacked that grumpy old fart's magic.
I hope that Indridason brings back Erlendur some day soon. Although, perhaps as a writer he's tired of that characters gloomy moods and wishes to take a more positive swing on things (by using Elinborg)? Who knows...
Anyway, I've ready better. I've read worse.

The Cook's Herb Garden
The Cook's Herb Garden
by DK

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice little gem for the garden!, 2 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Cook's Herb Garden (Hardcover)
A beautiful and knowledgable little book put together in a very elegant way. Very straight forward with photographs to match descriptions and content. Nice!

Operation Napoleon
Operation Napoleon
by Arnaldur Indridason

4.0 out of 5 stars I spy in Iceland, 30 Mar 2011
This review is from: Operation Napoleon (Paperback)
I really like reading Arnaldur Indrišason's Reykjavik Murder Mystery/Erlendur novels, so was curious to read another of his books separate from that. I find his whole approach to certain events and outcomes from WWII quite interesting and there is definitely a creative take on the whole thing however fanciful. But, I did find myself getting rather irritated with the whole American attitude taken throughout the book - the wholy than thou arrogance towards Iceland/Icelanders. I haven't personally been to Iceland myself (yet!), but do know about the place and a little of its history, so would like to consider myself minorly aware of such things. However, I just couldn't believe that the Americans (in the book) could do as they please 24/7 and however often as they liked. I know, I know... It's only a book - but it didn't help any glowering warmth spreading out to them in a fictional sense!
Still... It is nice to read an Arnaldur book with a heroine in it. I could easily see this as eventually being made into some type of spy-movie one day. It has those certain elements without all the gadgets. Spoof it up with a really good script, and it would definitely get a cinema release!

The Redbreast: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 1)
The Redbreast: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 1)
by Jo Nesbo

2.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not a Hole in one!, 20 Dec 2010
This is the second Hole detective novel I've read from Nesbų and I had such high hopes, but I was severely disappointed. Nesbų has such an unncessary bias to the Rakkel character that it's insanely annoying and I just found this novel overall convoluted and I was skipping pages just to get to the end!