Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Shop now Learn More Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Learn more
Profile for narnold > Reviews

Content by narnold

narnold

The Greenhouse
The Greenhouse
by Audur Ava Olafsdottir

5.0 out of 5 stars A green gem, 14 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Greenhouse (Paperback)
Basically, just a really lovely book... A nice story with a difference - gently and thoughtfully done. I would like to read further Audur novels as a result.

Mercy (Department Q 1)
Mercy (Department Q 1)
by Jussi Adler-Olsen

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice surprise, 10 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Mercy (Department Q 1) (Paperback)
This was a good buy and I enjoyed reading and getting to know the main character, Carl Mųrck. He seemed, like Arnaldur Indrišason's character in the Reyjavik Murder series, a lot more plausible and, on the whole, real. The humour throughout the book is great and keeps a little spice in there. I look forward to the next translated book!

Unwanted
Unwanted
by Kristina Ohlsson

3.0 out of 5 stars semi-wanted, 25 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Unwanted (Paperback)
This book is o-kay... Not terrible. Not fantastic. It sits on the midline. There are many areas where the translation is just awkward and messy, and I found myself wanting to get out a pen to correct certain things. I'd be interested to see how the author's style develops in the next novel.

Dregs (William Wisting Mystery 1)
Dregs (William Wisting Mystery 1)
by Jorn Lier Horst

4.0 out of 5 stars We wait for more, 16 Dec. 2011
Shows good potential! I look forward to the next Lier Horst novel in English.

However, I couldn't help but think of a similar, real-life case in Canada where feet kept appearing along the shoreline. From memory I think it took place a couple years ago. Am wondering if there's a link, if that was cause for some of the inspiration?

Had I not known of that, then I probably would've been about 10% more enthusiastic. So, it was a shame that I didn't think it entirely original as a result...

The Killer's Art: Anders Knutas series 4
The Killer's Art: Anders Knutas series 4
by Mari Jungstedt

2.0 out of 5 stars Not beautiful art at all, 13 Dec. 2011
When I found out who the killer was I was like: Bah! That's boring...
The whole Johan character annoyed me as well. After reading the first three novels, I found this rather disappointing.

Snowdrops
Snowdrops
by A. D. Miller

3.0 out of 5 stars don't believe the hype..., 2 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Snowdrops (Paperback)
I was left pretty disappointed and empty after reading this 'shortlist for the Man Booker prize 2011' novel. I just didn't find the guts of it and to me it wasn't an exciting, rivetting story with a thrilling plot at all. I just felt it could've been so much more - it had the elements and avenues to take it to numerous wild and wintery places, but it decided to stay with a boring and wallpaper-based personality as the main character and a small bunch of very cliched Russians. Pfft!

Outrage (Reykjavik Murder Mysteries 7)
Outrage (Reykjavik Murder Mysteries 7)
by Arnaldur Indridason

3.0 out of 5 stars Bring back the grump!, 4 Sept. 2011
I'm a fan of Arnaldur Indridason and have enjoyed reading all the previous Reykjavik Murder Mysteries. I was eager to read Outrage and did so without giving it or the story much thought - thinking it was another good sink-your-teeth-into Erlendur tale. I was totally unaware that the character, Erlendur, wasn't in it as a driving force, but that didn't stop me.
The book was o-kaaay and Indridason managed to make it come through using Elinborg as the main focus. However, it just lacked that grumpy old fart's magic.
I hope that Indridason brings back Erlendur some day soon. Although, perhaps as a writer he's tired of that characters gloomy moods and wishes to take a more positive swing on things (by using Elinborg)? Who knows...
Anyway, I've ready better. I've read worse.

The Cook's Herb Garden
The Cook's Herb Garden
by DK

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice little gem for the garden!, 2 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The Cook's Herb Garden (Hardcover)
A beautiful and knowledgable little book put together in a very elegant way. Very straight forward with photographs to match descriptions and content. Nice!

Operation Napoleon
Operation Napoleon
by Arnaldur Indridason

4.0 out of 5 stars I spy in Iceland, 30 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Operation Napoleon (Paperback)
I really like reading Arnaldur Indrišason's Reykjavik Murder Mystery/Erlendur novels, so was curious to read another of his books separate from that. I find his whole approach to certain events and outcomes from WWII quite interesting and there is definitely a creative take on the whole thing however fanciful. But, I did find myself getting rather irritated with the whole American attitude taken throughout the book - the wholy than thou arrogance towards Iceland/Icelanders. I haven't personally been to Iceland myself (yet!), but do know about the place and a little of its history, so would like to consider myself minorly aware of such things. However, I just couldn't believe that the Americans (in the book) could do as they please 24/7 and however often as they liked. I know, I know... It's only a book - but it didn't help any glowering warmth spreading out to them in a fictional sense!
Still... It is nice to read an Arnaldur book with a heroine in it. I could easily see this as eventually being made into some type of spy-movie one day. It has those certain elements without all the gadgets. Spoof it up with a really good script, and it would definitely get a cinema release!

The Redbreast: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 1)
The Redbreast: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 1)
by Jo Nesbo

2.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not a Hole in one!, 20 Dec. 2010
This is the second Hole detective novel I've read from Nesbų and I had such high hopes, but I was severely disappointed. Nesbų has such an unncessary bias to the Rakkel character that it's insanely annoying and I just found this novel overall convoluted and I was skipping pages just to get to the end!