Profile for Eleanor Roosevelt > Reviews

Content by Eleanor Roosevelt

Eleanor Roosevelt (UK)

Bburago 1:18 Collezione Lamborghini Countach 5000 Quattro Valvole - Colours may vary
Offered by Venture Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, 30 Dec. 2013
Bought for my nephew who has a substantial collection of model cars. He says this is one of the best he's got based the excellent build quality and detailing.

Joules Fur Slippers
Joules Fur Slippers
Price: £27.95 - £39.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, 30 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Joules Fur Slippers (Apparel)
I have had the same problem as all other low star reviewers - the sole wore through in about four weeks of wear. Never worn outside, only regular internal use. For the sake of a decent sole, they've produced a useless pair of slippers that would otherwise have been fantastic. Why can't they put suede or faux suede on the bottom?

Sheer Heart Attack
Sheer Heart Attack
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Those were the days, 21 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Sheer Heart Attack (Audio CD)
The first album I ever bought and what a pearl... It's got depth, breadth, subtlety, energy, and humour. I feel privileged to have cut my musical teeth on this!

Gobbolino the Witch's Cat (Young Puffin Books)
Gobbolino the Witch's Cat (Young Puffin Books)
by Ursula Moray Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as it was thirty-odd years ago, 9 Feb. 2011
I have just finished reading this to my seven year old son, having loved it as a child myself. He was totally captivated by it, complete with gasps of 'Oh no!' and hoorays at the ups and down of the plot. We've also read 'Spid' and 'The Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse', both of which he also loved. However, Gobbolino topped them all. I'd say they are the first books we've read together which have elicited such excited responses as we read them. Very easy to read out loud and a complete joy.

Cupid & Psyche 85
Cupid & Psyche 85

5.0 out of 5 stars Still up there with the best, 28 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Cupid & Psyche 85 (Audio CD)
I recently bought this on CD, having owned it on vinyl since 1985. I was originally introduced to Scritti Politti by a friend whose musical tastes were alternative to say the least, so I've never ranked them alongside any of the mainstream bands of the 80s. Now 25 years later, it still ranks in my top ten favourite albums. It's best listened to in the dark; the complexity and production quality is mind expanding and 'Absolute' really is the pinnacle.

LEGO Star Wars 8095: General Grievous' Starfighter
LEGO Star Wars 8095: General Grievous' Starfighter

3.0 out of 5 stars Not robust enough to actually play with, 16 Nov. 2010
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
My son has just finished successfully putting this together (aged 7). Instructions were clear and he enjoyed the process. However, when we shelled out for this, we were expecting the result to be a spaceship that he could actually play with. However, it's so fragile and the 'wings' are connected to the body with such flimsy fixings that they fall off all the time. It wouldn't have taken much for the designers to have added a couple of extra components to make it more robust. For the money, I feel that we've only got half of the possible value in this toy. My son is now downstairs building a starship out of his own lego that he can actually play with.

An Evil Cradling
An Evil Cradling
by Brian Keenan

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredibly worthwhile read, 6 July 2010
This review is from: An Evil Cradling (Paperback)
This book took me by surprise. I'd had this and 'Some Other Rainbow' on my bookshelves for at least a decade and then one evening I picked this up looking for something I hadn't read. What a waste of a decade! It's a tour de force in the sense of exploring what it means to be human when you've had all the normal trappings of humanity stripped away. It makes you deeply ponder topics like friendship, selfishness, judgement, fear and the human soul. I loved the fact that nothing is neat and tidy; Keenan is open about his own flaws and shortcomings. In spite of all this, there is something oddly joyful that runs like a thread through the whole book and this joy is inextricably linked to the brutality of captivity. Fabulous. I'll be reading it again in a few years.

Story of Little Babaji
Story of Little Babaji
by Helen Bannerman

5.0 out of 5 stars This book completes the original version, 21 July 2007
This review is from: Story of Little Babaji (Hardcover)
The original version of this story - The Story Little Black Sambo - always felt incomplete, not least due to the amazingly inaccurate illustrations. Then it became politically incorrect and rightly so. However, my mother maintains that in 37 years of teaching, she's never found a better story for 4 year olds. The illustrations in this version are joyous and a simple set of authentic name changes has achieved perfection!

Ukdapper - Yamaha YSP1000 120W Digital Sound Projector
Ukdapper - Yamaha YSP1000 120W Digital Sound Projector

5.0 out of 5 stars 8 months of non-stop playing., 10 Aug. 2005
This bath toy was a present for my son at Christmas, it is now August and he has played with it every night (in some form or other) without exception since he got it. Fantastic value for money!