ARRAY(0xae41fe34)

Profile for Mark T.B. Carroll > Reviews

Content by Mark T.B. Carroll

Mark T.B. Carroll (St Austell, Cornwall England)

Page: 1 | 2
DrayTek Vigor 120 - DSL modem - external - Fast Ethernet [PC]
DrayTek Vigor 120 - DSL modem - external - Fast Ethernet [PC]
Offered by SENDERCITY
Price: 54.57

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked well, while it worked, 8 Feb 2014
I used this modem simply as a PPPoA ↔ PPPoE bridge and it worked excellently with easy, minimal set-up. Just after a year it developed a curious fault of intermittent ethernet connectivity that made it unusable. I have now replaced it with a TP-Link TD-8840T in bridge mode, far cheaper and also working well so far.

Magoo Plain Black Magnetic Car Tax Disc Holder
Magoo Plain Black Magnetic Car Tax Disc Holder
Offered by magoo
Price: 1.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as described, works just fine, 29 Sep 2013
I've used two of these for just over a year now on my car. They were easy to install, they have been free from problems, and it is easy to change the contents, it just requires a couple of minutes' fiddling to get it all lined up straight and then it stays.

Manhattan Plaza HDR-S HD Freesat Receiver and PVR with Built-In 320GB HDD
Manhattan Plaza HDR-S HD Freesat Receiver and PVR with Built-In 320GB HDD
Offered by NowView
Price: 139.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly functional but somewhat buggy, 29 May 2013
This certainly isn't an outstanding box: if you're used to something like TiVo, you'll be sorely disappointed. There are some minor user interface issues, like no obvious way to page up and down in the EPG or jump to a specific channel, or that it can take some minutes for it to download enough EPG data to know what's on when, so if you want to see the list of scheduled recordings you have to wait while it figures it out but if you just leave the remote idle during that wait then that page might time out and the unit goes back to live television and you have to start from scratch. There are some feature gaps, like no obvious way to mark any recording of a series as being any higher priority than any other; it's not easy to discover when recordings conflict or to know or control how such conflicts are handled. There are some annoying bugs, like the last two one-hour shows that I had scheduled for recording, it recorded 24 minutes of one and 11 minutes of the other, that's all, although when we watch live television no channels ever drop out so why we get all these failed or partial recordings I've no idea, we don't have many shows scheduled for recording so with two tuners conflicts should be rare indeed. There are some more serious bugs, like sometimes the unit will crash altogether and then not record anything: the clue is that it seems to be off but the power light is still blue, not red, and then it must be power-cycled to recover.

The unit's tolerable, though, and fairly usable. Initial setup was easy. The BBC iPlayer thing works well enough; if you want to see the ITV one too, don't type in a Scottish postal code for yourself. There's not much of a selection of twin-tuner Freesat+ boxes in the market, after all, and none of the affordable ones get glowing reviews. And, Manhattan customer service is helpful and responsive; they deserve credit for that. I regret the purchase, but I can live with it.

Update: And, ha, just after writing a review, I find another bug: if you pressed the red button while watching something, then your recording of it screws up from that point on. Really, this could have been a good unit if software quality assurance had been better, but it's really let down by these ongoing disappointments.
Comment Comments (17) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 30, 2013 2:23 AM GMT

Kitchen Craft Large Rubber Jar and Bottle Opener
Kitchen Craft Large Rubber Jar and Bottle Opener
Price: 7.94

1.0 out of 5 stars Entirely useless, doesn't tighten around the lid, 20 Feb 2013
This is a strange device. A small wheel with grooved sides can be turned to loosen or tighten the rubber belt. However, there's no locking mechanism to maintain or increase tightness. Neither my wife nor I can figure out how to get this device to do anything useful at all to open a tight jar lid, we get far more grip just using our fingers instead of trying to keep the rubber belt gently embracing the lid edge. And, the returns process doesn't even make available a prepaid return label.

TP-Link TL-WA901ND Advanced 300Mbps Wireless N Access Point
TP-Link TL-WA901ND Advanced 300Mbps Wireless N Access Point
Price: 36.57

2.0 out of 5 stars Configurable but loses association, 3 Feb 2013
This unit seems quite nice; it is configurable, and can even pick up its management address by DHCP. However, when using it as our main WAP, I was finding that our laptops would sometimes spontaneously disconnect. Replacing this unit with an Edimax WAP ended those connection problems, now we have reliable wifi. Now, not wanting to waste it, I've set this unit to work as a client AP to get our wired printer online wirelessly; it mostly works, but when I just logged into it to check the web configuration pages for this review, a couple of pages in to browsing, it fell off the network; I power-cycled it and can now see it again. If it could maintain wifi connections reliably it'd be great.

Edimax EW-7415PDN Wireless 802.11n Access Point With PoE
Edimax EW-7415PDN Wireless 802.11n Access Point With PoE
Offered by HometownTV UK
Price: 36.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, compact, cheap, 3 Feb 2013
I bought this to replace a TP-Link WAP that was giving me trouble. I don't use the DHCP server functionality, but for acting as an access point for getting my wireless devices in touch with my router on the wired segment of the network, including broadcast packets, without mangling the packets on the way, this unit has worked reliably so far. The only minor issue is that it can't pick up its own management IP address by DHCP.

Duronic [HRS1031] 3 Port HDMI Auto Switch Box plus Remote - 3x1 HUB (3 way input 1 output) 1080p Full HD Switcher
Offered by DURONIC

4.0 out of 5 stars Works just as advertised, including remote, 3 Feb 2013
I'm only using two of the three inputs, for our satellite boxes from the two different dishes, but this unit is small and works just fine for us even with cheap HDMI cabling. A bright light indicates which of the inputs is being displayed. The small, thin remote control needs to be pointed pretty much in the direction of the IR receiver to change input, but that's no trouble.

CVID BG-440 PAL HDMI / Composite to NTSC HDMI Multi-System Digital Audio Video Converter - Up to 1080p/720p Upscaling - With UK Plug for Worldwide Use 110/220V (50-60Hz) 1 Year Warranty
Offered by World Electronics
Price: 44.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact, and works fine for at least HDMI 50Hz->60Hz, 3 Feb 2013
This is a compact unit. I have HDMI 720p 60Hz coming into its input from some British equipment and it outputs HDMI 720p 50Hz for our American television that seems to work just fine. I didn't have to try the configuration buttons because it appeared to start out doing exactly what I wanted. When the configuration buttons are pressed it discreetly displays on the screen confirmation of what the new setting / behaviour is.

1M HDMI to HDMI Cable Gold Connectors For Use With 1080p Freeview HD box, HD TV's / Xbox 360 / PS3 etc by Betron
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly adequate, 3 Feb 2013
I have some equipment that goes through three of these cables on its way through two converters and the 720p signal still seems to come through just fine. The plastic moulding around the plugs has ridges on the sides to make a better grip for plugging and unplugging the cables.

LINDY Automatic LED Night Light
LINDY Automatic LED Night Light
Price: 6.18

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite bright, works well near windows, 3 Feb 2013
The light runs cool and shines a bright near-white light. Basically, it appears to work well, but that comes with two caveats:

The sensor could be tuned to be a little more sensitive. The one up on our landing normally shines in the daytime, too; I wish it only lit when actually in the near-dark. If they're near enough to a large window they work better, then they get enough light to decide to turn off.

Except, the lights also seem to have no memory or insufficient hysteresis, so that when the ambient light is fairly dim, the light flashes rapidly. I assume it turns on, sees its own light, and turns off again! Fortunately, this behaviour isn't too frequent, but worth noting if you're sensitive to strobing light.

Page: 1 | 2