Profile for jonpapa_uk > Reviews

The Travelling Vampire Show
The Travelling Vampire Show
by Richard Laymon

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Time, 2 Oct. 2005
The posters appeared overnight. The Travelling Vampire Show is coming to town. Dwight, Rusty and Slim just have to see it. So what if they are underage. So what if it starts past their curfew. They will try their damnedest to see anyway. Besides everyone knows there's no such thing as a real vampire anyway.
Released only a year before Richard Laymon's death, this is the book to read if you are looking for a good time. Simple as that. The mood of the narrative is lighthearted even when some grisly things start to happen the mood persists. It's almost happy. One thing I find about lighthearted narrative is that it can create some traffic suspenseful situations. This book is certainly suspenseful. It is also nail-bitingly climatic. Some of the characters you can't help but hate, it is a great skill to create characters that the readers can really dispise, espcially when they number among the good guys.
Fast paced and light hearted with some glimpses of utter darkness and a good smattering of dark humor. What more can you ask for in a horror story? Well I can't think of anything that can fault this book.
Yes it is a vampire story, that alone cannot be a fault. It is a unique vampire story - at least as far as I know. Laymon has a great knack of looking at these things from a different angle. Nothing can detach from the good time you'll have reading this book.
Loved it

The Town
The Town
by Bentley Little
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, although a bit thin in places, 11 Sept. 2005
This review is from: The Town (Mass Market Paperback)
I'd never read anything by Bentley Little before, and to be honest I really wasn't expecting too much out of this book and as I progressed through the beginning I decided that this really isn't what I'd call a 'good book'. However neither is it what I would call a 'bad book' it sat somewhere in the middle in that, often ignored, grey area of average.
The Town (or Guests depending on the nationality of the release) is about a lottery winner returning to his home town in Arizona in order to provide his children with a better environment to grow up in. That's the outside excuse the motives seem to be more to do with the parents being bored after quitting their jobs.
Almost the moment they get to town strange things start to happen and things go on from there.
Like I said this is an average read. Parts are darn exciting but a lot of it is a little too stretched and a little slow and other parts don't really make much logical sense. However that doesn't fail this novel at all and the ending in particular is a rampant and exciting journey. Although I found some parts to be rushed through and felt other parts dragged on too long.
I did enjoy this book and would recommend it to anyone looking to start with Bentley Little, or just looking for something different

Compulsion
Compulsion
by Shaun Hutson

5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsively great, 6 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Compulsion (Paperback)
Compulsion was the first (and at the time of writing the only) Shaun Hutson book I've read. What more can I say than it won't be the last!
Square up the sides, the youth of today - that corrupted bunch of thieves and thugs intent of causing misery as if it were a joyous game - against the residence of an 'old peoples home' - those stalwart folks that lived through the last great war, and in the case of one of the residents suffered immensely in the terrors of that conflict.
It is really that definition of the old people that sets the tone of this book. Having seen what they have seen would they put up with the terrorising youth who believe that they need to teach these old folks some respect. Well the answer is no, and so the battle is waged and the results are horrifying and may make you come out thinking that there really wasn't a side in this conflict that was worth taking. Yet it is likely find yourself sympathising with the old folks, I now I did.
Compulsion is a great book. It is dark and dreadful and yet disturbingly accurate in the portrayal of the corruption of youth. Any of us who have spent time living on a counsel estate in the UK in recent years would find those children disturbingly familiar and the attitude of the police ('sorry we can do nothing') extremely accurate.
Now let the blood flow and let the battle commence and draw us all towards the final solution. A great piece of work that I read in a single day-long sitting. I really couldn't put it down. I predict I'm going to be seeing a lot of Shaun Hutson's work in the future.
I couldn't recommend it more.

Vittorio, The Vampire (New Tales of the Vampires)
Vittorio, The Vampire (New Tales of the Vampires)
by Anne Rice

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, compelling and simply wonderful, 5 Sept. 2005
It took me many months to pluck this book from my bookshelf. Admittedly I am an ardent fan of Anne Rice and it sat there merely because I had other books that I wanted to read (the mamoth Witching Hour being the most notable). I picked this book out this afternoon and just finished it. It is a short book indeed. But not too short. It doesn't leave you wanting. Well it does: it leaves you wanting a sequal but the story is complete in itself.
It is a little different from the other vampire novels written by Anne, but that isn't a bad thing, quite the opposite. It is different enough to be fresh.
I loved it, and would highly reccomend it to anyone.