Profile for Alison10 > Reviews

Alison10

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Forbidden: A Regency Box Set
Forbidden: A Regency Box Set

3.0 out of 5 stars For the Love of a Lady by Kristin Vayden was a pleasant ..., 23 Feb. 2015
This is a compilation of 4 shortish stories.

The first, A Winter Wish by Nadine Millard, had a rather unusual storyline. At first I was quite taken with it, but latterly I felt that the way that the hero and heroine 'fell' for each other was a bit unrealistic and my surpension of disbelief rather wilted. In many ways Mariah was a spirited heroine, and Mr Haverton was suitably 'dark and surly' bachelor. But when I thought back on it, I felt I could not rate it higher than 3 stars.

For the Love of a Lady by Kristin Vayden was a pleasant short story. There was little plot, but it was easy to read and the characters, Essie and Cross, were generally believable. I don't however, think there is enough to it to offer more than 3 stars.

The third of the quartet was Cloaked in Red by Kelly Martin. I have to say that I hated this story. I had great difficulty in finishing it - and zoomed though most of it. I was left with a horrible feeling inside at the end. In fact, it is with some difficulty that I give it 1 star.

The Devil Duke Takes a Bride by Rachel Van Kyken is the longest of the stories. I tells the tale of an elderly lady who was trying to get her two unmarried male relatives married - her nephew the Duke of Banbury and her grandson the Duke of Paisley. She steers them towards a pair of young ladies - and unleashes a stream of hilarious happenings. I found I was laughing out loud quite a lot the time - certainly in the first half of the story. This made up for complications and confusions both in the plot and in my comprehension! However the feel-good factor this tale generated - after the shivers of the previous story - compels me to be generous and award it 4 stars.

Taken overall I feel the set is just worth 3 stars - but I wouldn't particularly advise anyone to rush out and acquire it.

The Earl's Choice (A Certain State Of Marriage Book 1)
The Earl's Choice (A Certain State Of Marriage Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed the story and liked both hero and heroine, 23 Feb. 2015
This a pleasant shortish pre-Regency romance. It is very much based on Georgette Heyer - though not as finely written and with slightly warmer romance. However, I enjoyed the story and liked both hero and heroine, and I also disliked the villain!! There was an Epilogue, which is something I rather like if the story finishes with some loose ends. However, I felt the Epilogue only partly tied things up, which was a little frustrating. Perhaps there is a sequel? But if you want a light, historical romance on traditional lines to while away time while travelling, or on holiday, this is worth taking with you.

Christmas Revels: Four Regency Novellas
Christmas Revels: Four Regency Novellas

5.0 out of 5 stars all four are good writers and I can only hope that they continue ..., 16 Feb. 2015
These 4 reasonable-sized novellas all appear to be written by new authors. And I have to say, on this showing, all four are good writers and I can only hope that they continue with their writing careers! I have given the collection 5 stars, and 2 of the novellas (the first and last) are absolutely worth all 5! The middle 2 would be more of 4 stars, but I wouldn't want to take anything away from this collection.

1. A Light in Winter or The Wicked Will by Anna D. Allan.

This is a lovely story - well written and with very appealing hero and heroine. Connor, who unexpectly inherits his uncle's title and house, is an appealing character - referred to as 'a lovely red-headed boy'. Since I am very partial to 'lovely red-headed boys' this is a good beginning! Katherine is also a likeable character, and I kept hoping all the way through that they would be able to solve their problems.

2. The Lord of Misrule by Hannah Meredith

On its own I would have given this 4 stars. The writing is pretty readable, and the characters, Martin and Anne, are likeable. I felt that, perhaps, this plot would not have been better in a longer version, as everything seems to have happened over a few days, when perhaps it should have been more believable over a longer period. However, that is a quibble, and I felt for the heroine, waiting and waiting for her 'engagement' to be made official. Martin is a reasonably welldrawn character, too, but I couldn't really take to many of the other characters. Perhaps I wasn't supposed to!

3. God Rest Ye Murdered Gentlemen by Kate Parker.

The author appears to have written 2 Victorian 'detective' books. This novella is far more a detective story than a regency romance (or any romance for that!). The writing is good, and I found I was absorbed in the plot. Eugenia was well-drawn, and very capable. Secondary characters were also lively and interesting. However, her beloved husband, Adam, whom she had married recently and was said to be much in love with, seemed very one-dimentional, and I wondered what she saw in him! I would give this 4 stars - largely on the basis that, although it was a regency novella, it wasn't a romance, but a detective story - although a good one!

4. A Perfectly Dreadful Xmas by Louisa Cornell

This was perhaps my favourite of the four - I would have given it 6 stars! I loved all the characters - Elizabeth, Delacroix, Winterbourne and, of course, Nicholas St. Gilbert. The writing was very good, the characterization excellent, and there was humour and sorrow. When I came to the end, I felt quite bereft, as I wished to remain with the characters and find out what happened in the future. It was quite a complex plot, and I found when I re-read it (as I felt compelled to do) that much of what went on between the 3 male friends became clearer. I would recommend this novella to anyone - just wished it had been a full novel! It would be a very great shame if Ms Cornell did not write any more regency romances.

The Madness of Viscount Atherbourne (Rescued from Ruin Book 1)
The Madness of Viscount Atherbourne (Rescued from Ruin Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars but even when he was being screwed-up I couldn't dislike him. I felt I could understand his warped ..., 15 Feb. 2015
This is a new author to me, but I can see that I will be searching out others by her.

I was totally involved in the story, and the characters, and found it extremely difficult to put down. And after rushing through it, desperate to find out what happened to Lucien and Victoria, I had to read it again to absorb things I had not fully understood the first time.

Lucien was a very damaged person, but even when he was being screwed-up I couldn't dislike him. I felt I could understand his warped position. Victoria was also pretty believable - starting as a bit of a pattern book heroine (innocent gone astray) but coming into a strong personality and trying to sort her relationship out.

I was also interested in several of the other characters - and hope their lives may be laid bare for us in other books!

This is not a Georgette Heyer Regency Romance. If that is as raunchy as you like, this novel is not for you. However, I felt that all the 'romance' was an extension of the relationship of the hero and heroine and it was therefore quite acceptable to me.

A Christmas Charade
A Christmas Charade

4.0 out of 5 stars but would be happy to read others she has written, 6 Feb. 2015
This is a romance, and adventure story and a ghost story all rolled in one! I have not read any of Karla Hocker's books before, but would be happy to read others she has written.

At first I thought the ghost element would be a bore, but I warmed to Annie, who became the proverbial deus ex machina. The adventure with smugglers and French spies was fun, as it wasn't too obvious a plot. Through all of this, there was the widowed hero and the older heroine, who had unbeknown to him harboured feeling for him for many years. There were also several sub-plots involving the lesser characters, who were all acceptably drawn, and whose problems were just as interesting and worth solving.

I felt sorry leaving all the characters at the end of the novel - which presumably indicates my level of involvement!

Brompton Manor
Brompton Manor

3.0 out of 5 stars I liked the heroine and the hero - but I felt ..., 3 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Brompton Manor (Kindle Edition)
This is a pleasant story - but there is nothing to mark it out from many others of the same genre. It is a rather pale copy of a Georgette Heyer. I liked the heroine and the hero - but I felt I could have done with a little more from the hero's side. He was interesting, but nothing of his deeper emotions was revealed.

There was a lot of detail in the narrative - but it was difficult to work out what was relevant to the plot and what was not! I could have done with a little less of this and a little more as above! I also was left surprised by the sudden ending. If the author wanted to end the main narrative there, fine. But surely she could then have added a short Epilogue!

More Than a Duke (The Heart of a Duke Book 2)
More Than a Duke (The Heart of a Duke Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars but think this is probably my favourite. (The first is more of a novella, 1 Feb. 2015
Christi Caldwell writes well so the story can flow for me without any technical annoyance. I have read the other two in the series, but think this is probably my favourite. (The first is more of a novella.) Harry has appeared before as a kind rogue, and this picks up a year or so later. It is his basically kind heart that gets him entangled with Anne, not his rakish intentions (although they are around). I found him a sweet hero. Anne is a likeable heroine, although her tendency to accept her mother's desire for her to wed a Duke is a bit irritating! It is a book that remains in my mind, so from that point of view I feel it is worth 5 stars. I may even read it again! The romance level is about average - so if you read much of this genre you shouldn't be surprised.

Regency Christmas Vows (Mills & Boon M&B) (Mb)
Regency Christmas Vows (Mills & Boon M&B) (Mb)

4.0 out of 5 stars Suffice it to say that I loved The Blanchard Secret, 1 Feb. 2015
I have written reviews for these two books independently. Suffice it to say that I loved The Blanchard Secret, and gave it 5 stars. The Mistress of Hanover Square was not nearly so good, and I only managed 3 stars for that. However, if you are buying them in a twosome like this, it saves money and gives you nearly two books for the price of one!

The Mistress of Hanover Square (Mills & Boon Historical) (A Season in Town - Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars I felt the writing was pedestrian and unoriginal, and ..., 1 Feb. 2015
I felt the writing was pedestrian and unoriginal, and, having not read the previous two in the series, was a little irritated by the constant references to what had happened before. These references often seemed to cover what had happened in half a book in a mere couple of short sentences! Having said that, I did read the book to the end and found it passed the time pleasantly enough. I am not sure that I would read it again, though, and I haven't felt the urge to rush to acquire the earlier two books.

The Blanchland Secret (Harlequin Historical)
The Blanchland Secret (Harlequin Historical)

5.0 out of 5 stars one or two small parts of the plot that could be questionable - but the whole flow of the story washed them away and I stopped w, 1 Feb. 2015
This is a well written book, which keeps your interest all through. I felt that the four main characters were well deliniated, and I identified with them all - particularly the hero, Guy. There were, perhaps, one or two small parts of the plot that could be questionable - but the whole flow of the story washed them away and I stopped worrying about them in my general enjoyment of the book. I have even gone back a few weeks later and read it again. The romance is delicately handled and, unless you wish nothing raunchier than a Georgette Heyer novel, there shouldn't be many blushes along the way.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4