ARRAY(0xaf5afa2c)

Profile for Alison10 > Reviews

Content by Alison10

Alison10

Page: 1 | 2
The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons)
The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons)
Price: 3.59

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read., 17 Jan 2014
Very difficult to put it down! I almost read it at one sitting - which didn't help with my schedule!

To Sir Phillip, With Love (Bridgerton Family Series: Book 5)
To Sir Phillip, With Love (Bridgerton Family Series: Book 5)
Price: 3.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good read., 17 Jan 2014
Julia Quinn writes in a very readable style. It is difficult to put the book down until you reach the end.

Three Men on the Bummel
Three Men on the Bummel

4.0 out of 5 stars Follow up to 3 Men In A Boat, 17 Dec 2013
This is a sequel to the well-known and much-loved Three Men In a Boat. It is written in the same vein about the same period and much of it is as funny as the first book. However the Bummel (German for sort of wandering lazily about) takes place in late 19th century Germany, and a lot of the humour latterly in the book is based on British perception of Germans from this era. These perceptions changed drastically during the 20th century, so modern readers are not familiar with the national idiosyncracies and type of characters that Jerome K Jerome is poking fun at. However, if you have read the first book, there is no harm is reading the 'follow-up'.

The Expats
The Expats
Price: 4.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Mystery!, 17 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Expats (Kindle Edition)
This book stayed in my mind for a good while after I finished it. It is well written and with an unusual plot. The narrative jumps between 3 time-line threads - which I found rather confusing at first - but once you realize what is happening it adds to the tension. I was sorry to finish it as I had identified with the main characters.

A Cold Day for Murder (Kate Shugak #1)
A Cold Day for Murder (Kate Shugak #1)
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Alaska, 17 Dec 2013
I had not read any Dana Stabenow books before. I found it well written and with a good plot. The description of life in Alaska was detailed but never boring - and about a place and way of life I knew little about. I will look out for others in this series.

Romancing Mr Bridgerton (Bridgerton Family Series: Book 4)
Romancing Mr Bridgerton (Bridgerton Family Series: Book 4)
Price: 3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Regency Romance, 17 Dec 2013
I had not previously read any Julia Quinn books before - obviously my loss! I found this a well-written book, with an interesting plot and characters that were believable and likeable. I am now seeking out her other books, both in this series and others.

From Caledonia to Pictland: Scotland to 795 (New Edinburgh History of Scotland)
From Caledonia to Pictland: Scotland to 795 (New Edinburgh History of Scotland)
by James E. Fraser
Price: 23.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Early Scottish History, 17 Dec 2013
This is not a book to read in an afternoon! However it is meticulously researched and full of information about an era which used to be called 'The Dark Ages'. Much use is made of Irish annals, which have survived from this early time but was overlooked by British/Scottish scholars because it was in Irish Gaelic. They had previously relied very heavily on Bede, Adamnan, etc., which is the Anglic viewpoint (although still one of our main sources of information about the Picts).

This is a very worthwhile (though erudite) book to have if you are interested in the early history of Scotland.

Rainbird's Revenge (A House for the Season)
Rainbird's Revenge (A House for the Season)
Price: 4.19

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little Disappointed., 17 Dec 2013
I had high hopes of this after reading the beginning on the website. I am a Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer fan, and the plot just didn't ring true to me. However, it was a light read to fill a journey, a trip away, or a lazy day or two!

Hue and Cry
Hue and Cry

4.0 out of 5 stars Mediaeval Scottish Mystery, 13 Aug 2012
This review is from: Hue and Cry (Kindle Edition)
I had never read this author before so was not sure what to expect. It is set in St. Andrew's, Fife, in the late 16th century. The descriptions are detailed and much research into this period must have been done, including University practice and the legal system. I found at first I was taking a while getting into the story, possibly as there were several characters being introduced and because the era and its customs were unfamiliar.

However, once I had got into the book, and got to like the main character, Hew Cullan, I found it compelling reading. I would definitely recommend the book to those who like historical novels, whether crime or not, as the period (with all its warts!) is clearly evoked.

Three Men in a Boat
Three Men in a Boat
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious Bok, 13 Aug 2012
I have always enjoyed this book. It can make me laugh out loud. Although written so long ago, its humour is still relevant as it is based on human nature rather than just situations. It is a pleasure to have it on Kindle, as I can dip into it whenever I want, wherever I want.

Page: 1 | 2