Profile for Shiro Kyu > Reviews

Content by Shiro Kyu

Shiro Kyu (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Japace® 7100 Oily 72-color Art Colored Pencils Drawing Pencils for Artist Sketch 72 Assorted Colors/Set
Offered by jiam913

3.0 out of 5 stars Super fast delivery from China, 30 Dec. 2015
Super fast delivery from China.
Some pencils got bashed about and broke in the postal system but good deal for the price.

Great Fight [DVD] [2011] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Great Fight [DVD] [2011] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by Newtownvideo_EU

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fight - not just about broken noses, 4 Jun. 2015
The "Fight" - is not the one that happens in a ring or a cage, on the streets or on the mats. The "Fight" is the struggle of those who have autism, and those who love them and choose to endure the difficulties, and those who are around them not sure what to do besides causing some of the difficulties.

This film is more of a social studies movie than a "kung fu movie". If you're after fight scenes, go elsewhere. If you're after something that addresses social issues with a martial arts back drop, this is one of them. This film in my opinion is way up there with "Beautiful Boxer".

The likes of "Red Belt", "The Foot Fist Way" can't touch this, neither can "Fighting" (Chaning Tatum). And if you wish to compare this against "Never Back Down", try "Gladiator" which is a a MUCH better movie with Cuba Golding Jr.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Grunwerg Santoku Knife, 25 Jan. 2015
The knife looks the part. However it is very, very light in weight. the factory grind is rough and catches the food that it slices through. it may improve after sharpening.

Belkin Wireless N300 Modem Router ADSL (BT Line)
Belkin Wireless N300 Modem Router ADSL (BT Line)
Offered by BESTBUYIT

4.0 out of 5 stars Connected to the internet in minutes!, 13 April 2014
Straight forward, non-techie friendly router. I would have liked to see an ADSL and a PPP light, but hey, it works and the menu system is easy to navigate.

Edited on 12 July 2016: Deducted one star for the router died after a mere 2 years and 4 months of use. Confirmed it was "time to say good bye" (quote) with Belkin support after a 26 minute phone call on a 0844 number. Not entirely impressed given their reputation AND my previous Belkin/Micradigital router lasted well over 5 years.

The replacement router is another Belkin, but if it dies just as quickly again, I may very likely switch brands.

Behringer Hpx2000 - High-Definition Dj Headphones
Behringer Hpx2000 - High-Definition Dj Headphones

3.0 out of 5 stars Good stocking fillers if you can get them cheaply, 29 Mar. 2014
I got these for general home use, thinking that their "DJ"-ness should make them quite robust and sound at least reasonable.

The build quality is good for the money I paid (just under 9 pounds) but I can see the foam padding on the ear cups is not going to last long. The sound quality is a bit lacking, and not nearly as articulate as I had expected for the "DJ" label.

I pulled out East 17's cover version of West End Girls - the distortion was just not acceptable. They struggled even with Hanson's Mmmmmbop. They could just about handle ... FM Radio, perhaps?

These headphones would be cool stocking fillers for pre-teens if you can get them at less than 10 pounds. If these break or get stolen, I won't be buying them again.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars No wonder so many men are squeamish about waxing, 8 April 2013
I bought this out of sheer tight-fistedness - a wax strip is a wax strip is a wax strip, right? The women's Veet strips have never failed me, so I thought, what's the difference? It's just a blue box with almost identical stuff in it, right? Wrong, and wrong again.

I may have been sent a box that is "new old stock". My reason for thinking this is that the wax is brittle and stayed on me more than it stayed on the wax strip. When I tried the remove the slab of wax that has stuck onto my leg with another strip, more wax is now stuck onto me. I have *NEVER* had this problem with the women's ones.

Lesson learned:
1, Don't scrimp
2. Stick with the girly ones

Punch Bag 'HERITAGE' Gym MAX BLAST- Shihan Leather Blue [Misc.]
Punch Bag 'HERITAGE' Gym MAX BLAST- Shihan Leather Blue [Misc.]

3.0 out of 5 stars Shihan "Heritage" punch bag, 8 Sept. 2012
The punch bag was delivered on a Saturday, so very well done on the free weekend delivery!

Upon unwrapping the punch bag I noticed some reasonably minor cosmetic/surface marks in black, though they do not affect how the bag functions, but as this is my first brand new bag, I had wanted it to be perfect, so I contacted customer support. They replied swiftly enough, but unfortunately they said that the marks do not come off. Since I do not want to spend the time on returning it and the postage costs that would be involved, I decided to keep it.

When punched, kicked, elbowed and knee-ed, the bag felt solid, but lumpy, and the stuffing at the bottom seemed less densely packed than the area that was closer to the opening zip. So I opened it out of curiosity, only to find that the bag is not stuffed with chopped up small bits of mixed fabric, but fairly large pieces of fabric.

After sourcing a large-enough piece of carpet underlay, I proceeded to remove all the stuffing from inside the bag, and took a closer look.

The "leather" is actually VERY thin split leather. It is laminated with a gauze type fabric on the inside for strength, and the outside is an artificial layer. For that, I am disappointed, but I should also have anticipated this, given its price point. The stitching seems strong enough, and the silk-screened logo are printed perfectly. The zip and metal loops seem adequate.

The fabric stuffing that I pulled out were generally quite clean, and are similar to old-fashioned cleaning cloths/rags that could be found in pound shops, in sizes ranging from about 10cmm x 20cm to 40cm x 40cm. There was a cloth that had black greasy marks on it, and some of the cloths had brown parcel tape and delivery logos and barcodes stuck to them. There was also a nearly finished ball of red yarn.

After removing the labels and brown tape, and having checked that there are no other inappropriate foreign materials, I started to repack the bag.

First I lined the bag with the carpet underlay, followed by stuffing the fabric pieces and stamping them down till the bag was eventually full.

Adding the extra bulk of the carpet underlay into the bag meant that I have some fabric left, which I am keeping aside for top up once the stuffing packs down. The underlay has also made the bag more comfortable to train with, and a lot more regular in shape and density. So now I have a very inexpensive "leather" (hmm...) punch bag, delivered to me even on a Saturday. It is heavy enough for my needs, and I get to use it immediately.

On the other hand in hindsight, had I known that the shell was made of split leather (and not full grain or top grain) I would not have bought it. Simply because I know that the artificial top layer WILL breakdown and it will look a mess and make a mess. Secondly, the way the bag was stuffed, it did not have the consistency like other "machine filled" bags, and neither does the stuffing material. Thirdly, I do find the silk-screened branding garish and excessive.

If I have to replace it, it is very unlikely that I would be buying the same again.

Kitsound Limited Edition DJ Headphones Compatible with iPad 2, 3, 4, Mini, iPod, and iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, and 5 - White
Offered by Hale Communications

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning headphones for the price, 23 Jun. 2012
I bought these to replace a pair of Numark PHX that are no longer in my posession. As much as I can't do a A-B test between the two, I would say that these Kitsound headphones put up some stiff competition against the Numarks.

These Kitsounds headphones do not come with replacement cables, replacement pads, nor a carry pouch. But it does come with a 6mm-3.5mm twist-to-fit converter. As they are so very inexpensive, I would certainly consider buying another pair if they were stolen. They block external noise well, and give a very reasonable response to a wide genre of music: Nu-metal, rap, pop rock, reggae, vocal, piano solos and jazz.

I have had to tinker with the equalisers a little to get the headphones to sound the way I want, but none the less, these Kitsounds are a faboulous pair of headphones.

Lexar - Micro-SDHC Card (16 GB) 16GB MICROSDHC Class 10 USB
Lexar - Micro-SDHC Card (16 GB) 16GB MICROSDHC Class 10 USB

4.0 out of 5 stars the card is Class 10, but the card reader lacks performance, 13 Jan. 2012
The card *is* a class 10 card, though only has 14GB or so of space, which I think has something to do with 1KB not equalling 1024B and the difference is multiplied through - though I would like to see 16GB being available to me, I had expected this and am not too fussed about it personally, nor can I be bothered to delve any deeper.

The card managed a write speed of 10.2MB/s and read speed of 20.8MB/s using SD Tools from Android Market, so yes, it works fine in a mobile phone. I have had the card for a 2 days and it is so far so good.

However, the card reader that comes with it is a SD card reader, partnered up with a Micro SD -> SD converter that do look like something from the Far East for 99p delivered, and they are painfully slow for copying files from the computer. Once the card is in the phone though, it works very well.

In hindsight I should have gone for a slightly cheaper card, such as the Samsung, and source the card reader elsewhere.

Rolson 60750 95 LED Aluminium Torch - color May Vary
Rolson 60750 95 LED Aluminium Torch - color May Vary

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the money, 10 Dec. 2011
I received my torch this week. I was sent a red one, which I like.

The torch did come with batteries and similar to what another reviewer had said, the torch did not work at first. I opened up my torch and found some clear, round, thin pieces of plastic that were stuck to the base of the battery, in between the -ve terminal and the spring in the screw top at the bottom of the torch. Once I had removed that plastic, the torch clicked on and shone a cool white beam. Yes, blindingly bright at close range.

Unlike MagLites this torch does not have an adjustable beam, and the beam fades quite quickly. Good for searches in a dark attic, or a quick nip to the garden shed, but I had hoped for something brighter and with a stronger beam.

None the less for the money, and that the light source are LEDs and the energy demand is lower than incandescent bulbs, I think it is a good buy, although if it broke or got stolen I would probably not buy the same one again.

Page: 1 | 2