Profile for Crookedmouth > Reviews

Content by Crookedmouth
Top Reviewer Ranking: 52

Crookedmouth ":-/" (Somewhere in the Jurassic...)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
YiZYiF Mens Bulge Pouch Mesh G-string T-Back Thong Underwear Black One Size (Waist 23.0-35.0)
Offered by Shifang

4.0 out of 5 stars Thong thung blue, 5 May 2016
Captain, as I am, of The Willow's Country Club Tennis Team, I consider it my duty to set a decent example of gentlemanly behaviour and sportsmanlike conduct at all times. I have noticed a tendency amongst the younger professional player to indulge in less acceptable behaviors. That Scottish fellow, for instance... Murray. Well known for his loutish antics, better suited to the soccer pitch. His latest trick seems to be to let his balls pop out, whether by accident or design, to the great consternation of the spectators and the distraction of his opponent. Not what one would have expected of previous generations; MacEnroe, Nastaze, Connors took great pains to keep their balls under control at all times and you would certainly never expect to have seen that fellow Navratilova's balls in the middle of a hard - fought set on Centre Court.

Well, you can barely imagine my embarrassment when it happened to me! It was during a mixed match with Miss Fanshawe of our under -21s. We were both at Love when I slipped a particularly vigorous service right into her baseline and lost both my balls. I was crestfallen to see my balls bouncing off down the court, coming to rest at the base of the umpire's stool. Miss F was jolly decent about it, retrieving my balls herself and kindly popping them back into my shorts. I was most impressed at her composure, and her dexterous, gentle hands. She took my next service right up her tramline and with the greatest aplomb.

Resolving never to lose my balls on court again, I availed myself of this ball pouch. Available in a range of gay colours, it is tied around one's waist with a length of sturdy elastic and is just the right size to secure both of my balls which are, if you're interested, of International Tennis Federation regulation diameter 2.7" (plus or minus an eighth of an inch or two, depending on ambient temperature). Even during the most athletic matchplay sessions with our younger members I can be confident that my balls will be securely held, free from chaffage and excessive shuffle, never again to fall out at critical moments. The material is perforated, allowing my balls to breathe, ensuring predictable bounce and spin. Admittedly, when playing with my newest balls, the fuzz does tend to poke through the perforations, but one can't have everything, can one?

Oh, and occasionally my p enis flops out.

Royal Navy Submarine Manual: 1945 Onward ('A' Class - HMS Alliance) (Haynes Manuals)
by Peter Goodwin

4.0 out of 5 stars Dive dive dive, 31 Mar. 2016
Well, you might not be able to carry a maintainance servicing routine on the Alliance after reading this, but you will certainly have gained a real insight into RN submarine operations during the early Cold War in general, into the design and operation of a typical diesel boat of that generation and the principles of submarines in general. There's even a fascinating section on the restoration of the Alliance.

There's a wealth of pictures and explanatory text, but I was a little disappointed by the lack of decent systems general arrangement drawings and diagrams. Those that are included are few and far between and reproduced so small that the annotations are virtually unreadable.

I strongly recommend a visit to the Alliance at the RN Submarine Museum at Gosport and certainly advise doing it after having read this volume - it adds a whole new dimension to the experience.

Mens Classic 5-Hole Real Suede Desert Boots. Beige, Black Or Brown. Sizes 6-12. Roamers
Offered by CISSBURY RETAIL

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 90's retro footwear, 31 Mar. 2016
I used to wear these a lot during the '90s - not that I was ever in any danger of bumping into TE Lawrence, or Omar Sharif. Probably the closest I ever got to my dezzies' intended environment was walking down to the beach. Still, they looked good with jeans and were great to wear. And they still are; lightweight, cool and comfortable and appearing sort of half way on the spectrum between semi-smart-casual and football terrace. The crepe soles are not once what they were - they seem to have transmogrified from a slightly bouncy rubbery material to a rather more flat plasticky consistency. They remain comfortable, but their durability remains to be demonstrated.The size was a minor problem - I would normally take 11-12 UK and these are only available in 10 or 12 - and slightly oversized at that. Still, they fit fine.

With the passing of time, I suppose, this style of footwear that once marked me out as an out of uniform squaddie is now less obviously military chic. Or maybe I'm too old, wheezy and fat to be mistaken for a para. Yes, that must be it.

The Friendly Swede Bundle of 2 Premium 350 lb Paracord Keychains/Key Rings with Carabiners in Retail Packaging - Lifetime Warranty (Army Green Camo + Black)
Offered by The Friendly Swede [UK]

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite manly, 12 Feb. 2016
These make a very manly fob for my car keys and stuff. So manly, in fact, that I felt obliged to attach a bowie knife and Schmeisser machine gun to the fob because a boring old car key just isn't manly enough. And of course you can unravel the para-cord and use it to abseil into the grounds of the Gestapo stronghold, garotte the sentries and tie up Colonel von Stauffen before using it to attach yourself to the wing of the experimental Luftwaffe bomber in order to make your escape.

...in a very manly way, of course.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2016 1:21 PM GMT

DBPOWER X101C FPV RC Drone with HD 720P Wifi Camera Quadcopter One Key Return Function and Headless Mode for IOS, Android, Compatible with 3D VR Headset
Offered by UNICSTAR OFFICIAL

4.0 out of 5 stars Drone drone drone. Blah blah blah., 10 Feb. 2016
This was my first ever RC drone and I'm not sure precisely what I was expecting.

The machine comes in a medium sized, well packaged box with a spare set of rotors, a camera and an RC command unit. Some assembly is required and batteries are not included for the RC controller (but there is an NiCad battery for the drone itself).

Assembly was NOT simple. Well, it was relatively simple, but not easy. The drone's legs, rotors, rotor protection cages and the camera all needed to be attached to the chassis. The screws were tiny but fortunately a watchmaker's screwdriver is included. The instructions are abysmal; suffering from counterintuitive layout, monochrome, postage stamp-sized illustrations and Chinglish of almost (but not quite) an acceptable level of comprehensibility.

Nevertheless, after about an hour's work and a few minutes to let the blood pressure subside I had a mostly complete flyable drone.

Don't expect to fly this perfectly at first go, unless you've some sort of prior experience. I managed a few little hops and bumps in the living room just to get a hang of the throttle and to adjust the trim. other than that (I have a large living room) this is NOT a drone to be flown indoors until you're really competent and have cleared away your children (at least those that you want to keep), pets and that collection of antique Meissen. So, I took the drone outside and had a go. Now the benefits of my large open garden need to be balanced against the fact that I live on top of a hill. In scotland. And the ninth of the season's named storms (Imogen, I think) was just clearing the hills of Dundee. I can only recommend that when you let this chap out for his first flight, you wait for a still day. I, however, couldn't wait so gave myself Scotland's first quadcopter-administered haircut and then set about pruning our 15' high mountain ash. A good poke with a broom handle soon got the drone out of the loftier of its branches. at least I proved that the drone is robust enough to survive a 20' straight drop.

I think I'll wait till July.

Provided free for a review
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2016 9:45 PM GMT

Sunburst Peanuts Honey & Chilli Roasted 500g
Sunburst Peanuts Honey & Chilli Roasted 500g
Offered by aromabasket

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but not great, 20 Jan. 2016
having become addicted to the honey & chilli peanuts that you can buy at EAT at Edinburgh Airport, I was desperate to find a more readily accessible source. Sadly, these aren't quite as good. The chilli doesn't have the bite to counteract the sweetness of the honey. Perhaps a little salt in the mix would have done the trick.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2016 4:27 AM BST

VonShef One Cup Personal Filter Coffee Machine with 420ml Travel Mug & Lid - Free 2 Year Warranty
Offered by DOMU UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 20 Jan. 2016
This is a nice, no fuss one cup filter coffee maker.

Out of the box it has a slightly flimsy, plasticky feel to it - not weighty or robust - but so long as you don't play football with it, I can see no reason why that should be a problem. It takes up very little counter space so will need little in the way of lifting & shifting.

The process for making coffee is simple and uncomplicated. There's no multi-function programming required and once the coffee is made, the unit switches itself off. Do bear in mind that there's no hot-plate to keep your coffee warm so put the lid on the mug or drink immediately. alternatively, I pop the aluminium travel mug that comes with the machine into the microwave to pep the brew up for my drive to work. And, yes, the metal mug survives the microwave (and vice versa) perfectly happily. And the mug keeps my brew adequately hot thereafter for a good 45 minutes (more, I suspect, if it were required).

The first few mugs have a nasty chemical taste, despite running hot water through a few times, but that is fading now.

If I was looking for a reason to complain, I'd bemoan the lack of a control to restrict the flow of hot water through the filter and thereby adjust the strength of the brew. But I'm really clutching at straws here.

Go Stationery Banksy A5 Date Night Notebook
Go Stationery Banksy A5 Date Night Notebook

4.0 out of 5 stars One for the bank, 15 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Nice notebook with a stylish cover design.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2016 11:11 AM GMT

Go Stationery Colour Block Pocket Notebook - Candy Purple
Go Stationery Colour Block Pocket Notebook - Candy Purple

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice notepad, 11 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A nice, decent quality notepad, just the right size to slip into a handbag or coat pocket. The paper is a decent weight, delicate without being too flimsy.

The colour does mean, however, that this is probably better suited to the ladies than the gents.

Emhar WW1 British Mk.IV "Male" Heavy Tank - 1:72 Plastic Model Kit
Emhar WW1 British Mk.IV "Male" Heavy Tank - 1:72 Plastic Model Kit
Offered by GamesQuest

4.0 out of 5 stars Water carrier for Abyssinia, 3 Jan. 2016
The distinctively lozenge shaped MkIV tank was the first operational tank and was deployed by the British during 1917. Two variants of the type were the Male and Female, the former being equipped with heavier guns than its machine gun armed Female counterpart.

This offering from Emhar is a very nicely presented kit in green styrene and with a relatively small number of parts. Construction is, however, not straightforward. Assembling the main body is tricky but shouldn't present too many problems to the careful modeller. However, the fascine railings along the top of the tank are particularly fiddly and a steady hand will be required. The main gripe is the tracks which are provided as a number of rubberised strips which must be attached separately. This is not unlike a number of similar 1/72 armour kits and shouldn't be a drama apart from the fact that the material is quite brittle and breaks very easily. Why Emhar couldn't simply have provided integrally molded hard plastic tracks, I don't know.

Nevertheless, this kit builds into a nicely detailed and good looking model and it can be finished in either British colours or as a captured vehicle in German camouflage. The decals are nicely done, but Microsol and Microset decal fixing solution will be needed to make them conform to the hull's many rivets and panel lines.
Comment Comment | Permalink