Profile for Crookedmouth > Reviews

Content by Crookedmouth
Top Reviewer Ranking: 33

Crookedmouth ":-/" (Somewhere in the Jurassic...)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Kindle Voyage, 6" High-Resolution Display (300 ppi) with Adaptive Built-in Light, PagePress Sensors, Wi-Fi

5.0 out of 5 stars Hook, line and the kitchen sink, 15 April 2015
One trick pony and Return of the prodigal son
=====================================
I am a confirmed e-reader, having given up paper books many, many moons ago. I love being able to carry my entire library around with me and I certainly don’t miss the smell or feel of paper. My first Kindle was a Kindle Keyboard (3rd generation), bought around about five years ago and I loved it. I moved on to tablet-based e-reading (Kindle for Android) and eventually ditched the KK altogether about a year or two ago. I have become a little dissatisfied with tablet e-reading however; my Galaxy Tab’s battery life is OK, I suppose, but any sort of intensive use drains it so that a recharge during the day becomes inconveniently necessary. The Tablet also holds many distractions and my reading rate and volume has dropped off significantly and the difficulty of reading on a tablet in full sunlight is also well documented.

So, I picked my KK up again and instantly fell back in love with the Kindle experience. I did feel the need to upgrade, however, and decided on a whim to treat myself to a new Kindle.

What’s inna box?
==============
Not a lot. The rather lush-looking box is no larger than a medium sized paperback book and it contains a Kindle (thank goodness!) and a USB lead. There’s no charger – this is sold separately, which may be an irritation to some, but then there can’t be many people who don’t have small hordes of USB chargers clogging up their bed side table drawers these days. There’s a warranty leaflet and an instruction booklet. This latter is fairly large but, on inspection, the instructions are limited to a single full page diagram of the Kindle and a sparse page telling you how to turn it on. All the instructions are on the device itself.

You look so sexy, baby
==================
First impressions are that the Kindle Voyage is SMALL! Oh, so very small. But it also looks very pretty. The subtly textured glass screen at the front is pretty much full width/height with almost no bezel. The reading area is slightly smaller, being the same as any other Kindle. The casing at the back is slightly sculpted and has a pleasant, somewhat rubbery, matt feel to it. The rear also sports an engraved Amazon logo and a tiny on-off nubbin. The Voyage could easily be mistaken for a small tablet and the overall effect makes my poor old KK look awfully dowdy.

Turn me on! Connect with me!
=========================
Turning the Voyage on for the first time (it came almost fully charged – yay!) initiates a bootup sequence which includes an tutorial simple enough to be (probably) unnecessary for all but the most inveterate technophobes. It’s also impossible to skip which annoyed me intensely – I wanted to get started! It then prompted me to connect to a wifi; the Kindle scanned for nearby devices and then asked for a password. If you can’t connect to a wifi at this stage you won’t be able to download any books, but it’s easy enough to connect later when you ARE in range.

I was rather surprised at this point when the Kindle announced itself as “Crookedmouth’s Xth Kindle”. I didn’t have to register or even log into my Amazon account. When you buy a Kindle from Amazon it comes already registered, which is nice.

My KK was 3G enabled which meant I didn’t need to find a wifi to connect to – I had full mobile connectivity. That was really useful at the time, but I now own two other devices (my mobile phone and my Tablet) that I can set up as mobile wifi hotpots. As a consequence I didn’t feel the need to buy the Voyage 3G this time ‘round. And to be honest, these days, the availability of free wifi signals in airports, restaurants, hospitals and pubs makes 3G capability even less attractive.

I can read you like a book
=====================
Skipping forward a little, using this to read books is… well it’s a pleasure. The Voyage’s main selling point over it’s next-in-line stablemate the Paperwhite is the resolution of the screen. Harking back to my old KK (167ppi) , the screen reso was pretty poor – rather like reading a book printed on crepe paper. I don’t know what a 212ppi Paperwhite looks like on-screen but the Voyage is lovely; crisp and clean. The Voyage is also back-lit and the screen is, therefore, also paperwhite.

The Voyage is light as a feather and sits in my hand comfortably; I can support it with a couple of fingers and turn the pages with my free fingers. Page turning is achieved by pressing the virtual buttons on either side of the reading area (they respond with a satisfyingly haptic bzzz) or by swiping the reading area as if t’were a tablet. And,I repeat, this can all be achieved one-handed leaving your other hand free to stir the béchamel sauce, steer your articulated juggernaut down the motorway or “toast” a “perp” with your Glock, yo.

I do find the reading area a little small, compared to my 8” Tab, but the 6” screen is standard for all Kindles so I can hardly complain. In any case I got used to it pretty quickly and it doesn’t bother me at all now.

The screen is subtly back-lit and it also has an adaptive feature that adjusts the back-light automatically to suit ambient conditions.

Touch me up
==========
The Voyage is a touch-screen device and it does this rather well too. You can use this feature to swipe the pages back and forth, select text and type in notes on an on-screen keyboard. The touch screen is sensitive, but also responsive and pretty accurate.

Creature features
===============
The Kindle Voyage has a wide range of functionality features, many of which I have yet to discover or explore. Some of these are available on Paperwhite and will be familiar to e-reader users and some will be new:

You have access to dictionary definitions of the words you are reading and, if you’re online you can call up the Wikipedia entry for the word of interest. You can also build a vocabulary list of newly learned words and the “x-ray” feature provides you with an analysis of the book that you’re reading.

The Amazon Kindle bookshop can be accessed via wifi and it is all too easy to add to your “to be read” stack. Fortunately, Amazon give you a chance to change your mind avoiding the need to repent at leisure. The bookstore is, as viewed on the Kindle itself, pretty functional looking but then this IS an e-reader, NOT a web browser. Indeed the Voyage retains the “experimental web-browser” of the 3rd generation Kindles. It works a little better on the Voyage but not much.

You can organise your library into collections and synch your library across other Kindle devices. There’s a nice touch that allows you to share your Kindle library with family members who have their own Kindle accounts. I haven’t tried this yet but it seems like a great idea.

… look, there’s a whole lot of other stuff that the Voyage does. I (and you) can take these or leave them and exploring them is, I suppose, part of the fun.

In the final analysis
================
The Voyage is the best of the best. The Kindle reading experience is fantastic across the range but the Voyage scores over the Paperwhite in terms of its superior screen resolution and its reduced size and weight. Whether these distinguishing marks are sufficient to persuade you to pay the mark-up is really a personal thing but I would guess that if you went for the Voyage, you’re unlikely ever to send it back to Amazon, bitterly disappointed, to exchange it for a Paperwhite.

I've added some photos to give a flavour of what you'll be getting.
Kindle functionality offers an added dimension to reading: again, the Voyage takes this a step or two further on but to my mind this isn’t a sufficiently marked improvement over the capabilities of older Kindle models so it’s not something I feel the need to shout about.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 18, 2015 7:19 AM BST

Necronomicon: The Wanderings of Alhazred (Necronomicon Series)
Necronomicon: The Wanderings of Alhazred (Necronomicon Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons death may die, 14 April 2015
There was a poet. His true name is now lost, but he is remembered as Abd Al Hazred, "Servant of the Devourer" or, more pejoratively, "The Mad Arab". The path that led to his madness is a long one, but it ended with this, The Necronomicon, the book of the law of the dead. Few original copies remain - at least one is held in the University of Miskatonic in Massachusets - but some translations survive.

Here then is an account of the Mad Arab's wanderings in the trackless wastes of the Arabian deserts, his discovery there of the lost city of Irem and of the terrible secrets hidden beneath its ruins. Here is the naming of the laws of the dead. Here is soul travel, cannibalism, witchcraft and the summoning of demons. Here are the Elder Gods and The Old Ones; Yog Sothoth, Shub Niurath and dread Cthulhu. Who drinks of this well of evil will be changed, who attempts to master it's secrets will be lost for all time.

Here is probably the most complete, authentic and convincing version of the terrible book known to devotees of HP Lovecraft. The author, Donald Tyson claims it to be a work of fiction.

But we know better, don't we?

(PS, I'm afraid that the Kindle edition does NOT come bound in human skin. You'll need to buy the soft cover edition for that.)

ThorFire PF01 Penlight CREE XP-E2 R3 Mini EDC LED Flashlight Clip AAA Motif
ThorFire PF01 Penlight CREE XP-E2 R3 Mini EDC LED Flashlight Clip AAA Motif
Offered by Motif Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars You light up my life, 11 April 2015
This is a funky little penlight with a powerful beam. It's ideally sized for a handbag, briefcase or even your pocket.

Big pro - unlike a lot of Chinese LED torches this takes a standard UK available battery - in this case a single AAA. It's also very small and light.

Not so brilliant is the lack of a lanyard hole, but I'm not going to mark it down for that alone. Operating the light power is a bit fiddly too - three power settings all adjusted by the on off button - not the best arrangement.

SODIAL(R) Sexy Men's Opening C-string Thong Visible Underwear Pouch Panty w/ Ring
Offered by PGTA

4.0 out of 5 stars C through, 3 April 2015
Well, at least I don't have to worry about waist size with this. The stiff spine loops up between your buttocks and holds the whole thing securely in place. Your penis pops through the ring and your balls poke through the gap below. The effect is quite sexy giving you a pronounced "profile" and it's a lot more comfortable than it sounds.

Provided free for a review.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2015 8:52 PM BST

SODIAL(R) Sexy Men's C-string Thong Highly Flexible Underwear Panty w/Ring
SODIAL(R) Sexy Men's C-string Thong Highly Flexible Underwear Panty w/Ring
Offered by PGTA

4.0 out of 5 stars C through, 3 April 2015
Well, at least I don't have to worry about waist size with this. The stiff spine loops up between your buttocks and holds the whole thing securely in place. Your penis pops through the ring and there's a little pouch to hold your balls, A VERY little pouch I hasten to add. The effect is quite sexy, and it's a lot more comfortable than it sounds.

Provided free for a review.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2015 8:52 PM BST

HMS Ulysses
HMS Ulysses

5.0 out of 5 stars Cruel sea, 2 April 2015
This review is from: HMS Ulysses (Kindle Edition)
Royal Navy cruiser, HMS Ulysses, leads a convoy of destroyers, carriers and merchant ships deep into the Arctic Circle, heading for Murmansk with vital supplies for a beleaguered Russian Army. Waiting for them is a U-boat wolf pack and some of the worst winter weather of the war. Their orders are to get through at any cost but no-one can predict just how high that cost will turn out to be.

Alistair MacLean's debut novel is arguably also his best and it ranks easily alongside Monsarratt's "The Cruel Sea" as an exemplary account of the Allied Convoy War. Taking his inspiration from his own extensive experience as an RN sailor in the Atlantic and Arctic convoys there is a strong feeling of verisimilitude to this story; but the sheer quality of his writing is also worthy of note.

The novel introduces the Ulysses as a ship with a broken and troubled crew, close to mutiny and exhausted beyond recall from previous forays into the Arctic. However, MacLean continues to build the pressure on the ship by throwing at it the most appalling weather conditions and the privations of a ruthless, determined and resourceful enemy. The attrition rate is high, both in terms of the ships and the physical and mental health of their crews. MacLean does occasionally resort to some common war story tropes and cliches and one or two frankly unlikely coincidences in order to maintain the tension and atmosphere. This is perhaps a forgivable crime because "HMS Ulysses" really is an unrelentingly compelling and indeed deeply moving page-turner of a novel. One wonders whether there is at least /some/ exaggeration for dramatic effect: on the other hand I worried that perhaps there was none and that the navy and merchant crews really did suffer as terribly as MacLean recounts here. Either way, this is an impressive piece of story telling and a true "must-read".

Spilling Ink
Spilling Ink

4.0 out of 5 stars "Take whatever shape you please", 22 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Spilling Ink (Kindle Edition)
I'm no poet, nor am I a poetic person and to be honest I was expecting a bunch of slightly soppy love poems. Well! Nothing of the sort! Spilling Ink is a very personal affair and yet also very readable... accessible.

There's a certain naivety to some of the poems, but also an unexpected seam of wit and sophistication that surprised this hardened old cynic.

I particularly liked "Wonder"...

If quantums leap
And quarks are able,
And strings unwind
Their lengths of cable;
And protons promise
To unleash their tension,
Then I’m not surprised
By a fourth dimension.

Some are almost too painful to read and I wonder at the courage Darrielle must have needed in order to persuade herself to publish them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2015 10:53 PM GMT

Verdo Wood Long Burning Briquettes (6 Pack)
Verdo Wood Long Burning Briquettes (6 Pack)
Offered by Grocery UK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Some like it hot, 7 Mar. 2015
These logs are brilliant. They're easy to light and when they get going they burn long and hot. Probably too hot, so do be careful; you won't need more than one on the fire at a time. So theyre great for reviving a struggling fire or getting a quick heat fix. They're also easy to beeak into shorter lengths for a more compact fire.

I've uploaded a picture of a single log, broken in two, after a couple of hours in my wood burning stove. It was almost too hot to take the photo.

Do be advised that the price here on Amazon is ridiculously high. You can get a six pack in Home Bargains for a fraction.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Gillette Fusion ProGlide Manual Razor Starter Kit with Flexball Technology--Pack of 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Smooth as a baby's bum, 2 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With more blades than Edward Scissorhands, the Gillette Fusion razor does give me a smooth, clean shave. I have to admit that I only shave about twice a week - three times if I want to impress the boss (or Mrs Crookedmouth) - so this razor head has a fairly punishing routine dealing with several days worth of growth. It performs well enough. I have still to be convinced that the more blades a razor sports the better the shave but happy to admit that this is much smoother than a single or double blade razor. That said, I do still use an old, disposable two-blade to tidy up side burns - with a smaller blade head it's much more precise than a 5 bladed head.

Allegedly the Flexball thing is supposed to make this razor more maneouvrable than a "normal" razor that only hinges in one direction. The Flexball allows the head to pivot in two axes but, to be honest, it makes NO difference to my shave at all. I'm pretty sure that it's just a gimmick, introduced because the "We've got one more blade than you" arms race between Gillette and Wilkinson's Sword has reached a plateau the 5-blade head.

All in all it LOOKS pretty funky and space-age and it performs as well (but no better) than previous generations of Gillette Fusion razors.

Gillette Fusion Proglide Manual 9 Razor Blades + Razor with Flexball Technology
Gillette Fusion Proglide Manual 9 Razor Blades + Razor with Flexball Technology

4.0 out of 5 stars Smooth as a baby's bum, 2 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20