Profile for John Ferry > Reviews

The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Grand Budapest Hotel (DVD)
Superb! Quirky and original.

Retro Atomic Coat Hook Multi Coloured
Retro Atomic Coat Hook Multi Coloured
Offered by Prime Furnishing

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy, 22 Dec. 2013
I couldn't find anything like this in my local shops. It arrived promptly and is now doing a great job of keeping our coats off the floor.

5 Days in May: The Coalition and Beyond
5 Days in May: The Coalition and Beyond

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful and interesting, 21 Sept. 2013
Easy to read, thoughtful, full of insight and worth reading again in the run-up to the next general election in 2015.

Mammoth 800,000 Clipart for Macintosh
Mammoth 800,000 Clipart for Macintosh

1.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with OS10.5, 9 Jun. 2009
These DVDs were tremendous value and worked fine under OS 10.4 Tiger.

Unfortunately, they don't appear to work with OS 10.5 Leopard.

Peachtree Road
Peachtree Road
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars One of his very best..., 6 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Peachtree Road (Audio CD)
I have been buying Elton John's albums since the early 1970s. He has produced some great albums over the years, but this is my current favourite by some distance.

I enjoyed the previous album - 'Songs from the West coast' - and I didn't rush to buy this one because I wasn't sure he could match it so late in his career. Four years on, I listen to Peachtree Road all the time and I only rarely listen to SFTWC.

The thing I really like is that the album has so many very strong tracks - including the first five. Unlike most of my CDs, I normally listen to this one from beginning to end - and really listen, because the lyrics are among the best Bernie Taupin has every written and this definitely isn't background music.

There's only really one track that's not up to the standard of the rest - They call her the cat - which is pretty impressive for a songwriting team that is generally felt to be past its best.

I'm writing this because no one has posted a review of the album for a while and I don't want it to be overlooked.

I hope someone out there may be moved to listen and get as much pleasure listening to it as I do.

Nils Lofgren
Nils Lofgren

5.0 out of 5 stars The sun hasn't set on this boy yet, 20 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Nils Lofgren (Audio CD)
This has always been one of my favourite albums - and I've never understood why it wasn't more successful.

It can be hard to find, which is surprising because it's probably Nils Lofgren's best album.

The strength of the songwriting and the playing makes this a classic that deserves a place among the top 100 albums of all time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2010 10:09 PM BST

Jackrabbit Slim
Jackrabbit Slim

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless classic, 20 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Jackrabbit Slim (Audio CD)
I have been listening to this album since 1979 and have never tired of it. The songwriting, singing and playing is first rate and even all these years later it still sounds fresh to me. I am a Springsteen fan, but this is lighter and Steve Forbert's voice and musical style really isn't like anyone else's. Highly recommended.

Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life
Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life
by Steve Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars "Well, excuuuse me!", 25 Aug. 2008
I discovered Steve Martin through the film of 'The Jerk' and enjoyed the records of his live performances in the 1980s. This is an honest and interesting account of his early career and the years of hard work that led to his eventual stardom. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed his early work and I'm now looking forward to watching an old video of his act...

Way Out West: With a Baby
Way Out West: With a Baby
by Michael Brownlow

5.0 out of 5 stars Way out west and way back when..., 15 Oct. 2006
If you enjoyed Mike Brownlow's 'Little robots' and your child is now a bit older, try this!

It's a nice little tale, told in way that keeps the attention of small children (and makes them chuckle). And the illustrations are a delight.

I never get tired of reading it to my sons - and they seem to never get tired of hearing it.

Highly recommended for kids of all ages.

Rescue / Hero
Rescue / Hero

5.0 out of 5 stars Two good albums at a bargain price, 6 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Rescue / Hero (Audio CD)
I've been a keen Springsteen fan for 20 years. Clarence Clemons needs no introduction to anyone who likes Bruce's music or has seen the E Street Band live.

I bought 'Rescue' on vinyl soon after its original release and have listened to it regularly over the years. All the tracks are good, but 'Savin' up' and 'Resurrection Shuffle' are my personal favourites. The songs are strong, the sound is great and it's a must for all fans of the Jersey Sound.

'Hero' isn't quite so good, but does have a couple of really good tracks, especially 'The sun ain't gonna shine anymore' and 'You're a friend of mine'.

If you're a fan of Springsteen/Southside Johnny and enjoy listening to the saxophone played by the best there is, this one is a must.

Page: 1 | 2