Profile for john smithers > Reviews

Content by john smithers

john smithers

The Game: How the World of Finance Really Works (New Edition)
The Game: How the World of Finance Really Works (New Edition)
by Alex Buchanan
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars a tour de force, 23 May 2013
Before I read this book - I now realise - I was benighted. Talk of the City left me confused: balance sheets bamboozled me; acronyms accosted me. With the most delicate of touches, this guy Alex Buchanan has demystified the jargon. It is as if he has opened the window in a fetid room and let in the sunlight. Anyone who wants a real, down-to-earth guide to every single job in the city - fund manager; stockbroker; corporate finance dude, you name it - need merely finger this tome, and emerge master of this gritty world of wheeler dealers. Buy it now, before they ban it.

The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll through the Hidden Connections of the English Language
by Mark Forsyth
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars have a serendipitous dip inside, 8 Nov 2011
what a wonderful compendium of interesting links between the words in our language. this is the perfect companion to an armchair and a log fire; and, after reading this book, you won't see English in the same way as you did before - you'll see English as a far friendlier entity, full of interconnections and pleasing self-references. buy 'the etymologicon' today, i urge you: if you want to enjoy all the more every single conversation you'll ever have in the future, that is.

Central Reservation
Central Reservation
by Will Le Fleming
Price: 11.50

5.0 out of 5 stars uncanny, 1 Nov 2011
This review is from: Central Reservation (Hardcover)
Sex and violence: both feature in chapters 1 and 2, which I've just read on the author's website; but the real draw of "Central Reservation" is the evocation of emotions that I'd thought unique to me - before seeing them there in print. As soon as my lunch hour comes around, I'll be heading to Waterstone's to buy my copy.

The Game: How The City Really Works
The Game: How The City Really Works
by Alex Buchanan

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is an epiphany, 8 Jun 2010
I'm at uni and wanted to find out more about the City so I bought some of the older, mouldier publications at my local Waterstone's. They were so turgid I gave up within days and returned to the book store where I saw a lovely pink copy of 'The Game' that had just arrived on the shelves. Enticing and relevant, is how it looked to me - and I was right!

This book blasts away all that silly City nomenclature and elucidates very clearly the more abstruse terms: by the end of my reading it, for example, I'd discovered a hedge fund manager is just a fancy term for someone who sits in front of a screen from 8am til 430pm, Monday to Friday, buying a share and then selling it again, ususally a few days' later.
Buy this book and absorb it, and you will know more about the City than the person interviewing you (however big the firm you are applying for) - and your resulting confidence will get you the job: it worked for me!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2012 3:55 PM GMT