Profile for G E Grafton > Reviews

Content by G E Grafton

G E Grafton (WOKING, Surrey United Kingdom)

France 2011 Atlas 2011 (Michelin Tourist & Motoring Atlases) (Michelin Tourist and Motoring Atlases)

4.0 out of 5 stars france trip, 11 Sep 2011
The map book is very helpful and informative. Two complaints. The pages are very thin and easy to tear and the perforated cover also tears easily. The other complaint is that the list of hotels and eating places, for the most part, cannot be found in the map as no addresses are given.

I Play As I Please
I Play As I Please
Price: 10.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleased to hear him play, 2 Jan 2004
This review is from: I Play As I Please (Audio CD)
I ordered this album not knowing it was a re-release of earlier recordings. I have enjoyed Humphrey Lyttleton's music since the late 1950s but had only previously bought "Bad Penny Blues" on a 78rpm.
I am by no means a dedicated jazz enthusiast but I was delighted with this CD. I cannot figure out what all the fuss was about when he caused such an uproar by ceasing to be pure trad jazz. Back in the 1950s an older brother had rejected him completely after buying many of his earlier trad recordings.
The numbers on this CD are varied and employ a variety of rhythms. A son of mine who has never followed jazz asked me what I was playing as he thought it was very enjoyable. He was amazed when I told him it was Humph as he only really knows from ISIHAC on Radio 4.
The biggest surprise to me was the version of "Buona Sera" which pre-dated Acker Bilk's version by some years and it is easy to see from where Acker got his idea for the recording.
For collectors of early Humph recordings, this is a must.