Profile for Tommyboy > Reviews

Tommyboy

Escape from Furnace 2: Solitary
Escape from Furnace 2: Solitary

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!, 12 Aug 2013
This book is another great book in the Escape From Furnace series and after reading Lockdown (the first book in the series) I had to read this. My expectations were high to begin with but this book exceeded them without breaking a sweat. That's why I rated this book five stars but also because of the gripping story line, the never-ending action and also the way this book is written. It hooks you from the first sentence and keeps you hooked throughout the rest of the book until the gripping cliff-hanger leading into the next book which I yet still to enjoy. I would recommend this book to ages over twelve because there are some scary features but to anyone else who is looking for on the edge of your seat action and true thrill when reading a book. This book is truly one of the best or even the best book I have read in my life. I would read it over and over if it were not for the future books in the series. All in all a very good read and another incredible book from Alexander Gordon Smith.

-10/10

Liquid Thinking: Inspirational Lessons from the World's Great Achievers
Liquid Thinking: Inspirational Lessons from the World's Great Achievers
by Damian Hughes

3.0 out of 5 stars One for the boys?, 27 Sep 2012
This in many ways is a very good little book. It is very well written, well structured and eminently readable. There isn't much new in it as it is firmly of the Positive Mental Attitude (PMA) stable that came out of the USA in the 1980s, but it benefits from being up to date and UK focused. I liked the very accessible way in which it has been put together. My major concern about this book is that all of the examples are written about men. Only one of the little case studies is about a woman who fights against breast cancer, but even that one is written from the viewpoint of her husband. What a shame and what a missed opportunity. Every single endorsement in the book (and there are quite a few of them) are also provided by men. One for the boys? (By the way I am a man and not a raging feminist. Indeed I am mid fifties, married with kids, but this book still grated).

Minor point but the book makes a bit of a thing about a Harvard study of 'goals' in the 1950s. In fact this was supposedly a Yale study about those who made goals. Yale have a web entry that confirms that no such study exists, even though it is oft-quoted. (The web link to Yale is [...]. Damian's book has the feel of using a lot of second or third hand 'research' to back up his argument which detracts from it.

Having said all of that his book has motivated me to keep trying to secure a new job - his quote of Thomas Edison got me thinking afresh: "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up". Seven quid well spent, even with those reservations.