Profile for I. Rumens > Reviews

Content by I. Rumens

I. Rumens (Sussex, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Road Of Bones (2 Disc Set)
The Road Of Bones (2 Disc Set)
Price: 15.13

4.0 out of 5 stars Pick'n'Mix! Go for the 2 disc version, and make up your own album!, 9 July 2014
Due to the way that the Amazon cloud player works... I ended up listening to a different selection of tracks than that detailed on the 'definitive' version. It may have helped me however, as by the time I was listening to the tracks on the 'second disc' it was obvious which tracks were standing out.

As a result, I replaced 'Ocean' and 'Until the end' from the definitive version, and replaced them with '1312 Overture' and 'Knucklehead', although the latter was difficult to place in the new line-up.

Ultimately, I ended up with an album, as follows:-

1. From the outside in.
2. 1312 Overture
3. The road of bones.
4. Knucklehead.
5. Without walls.

Nothing is quite as classy as 'The Road of bones' track itself, though 'Knucklehead' is pretty strong, and 'Without walls' a fine finale.

Overall, there's some good quality here, and it's always nice to hear the mellotron, in what is a likeable effort. The fact that I had to make my own choices as regards finding the best tracks, seems bizarre however.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2014 8:58 PM BST

The Old Road
The Old Road
Price: 13.48

2.0 out of 5 stars A Tony Banks solo album, in all but name..., 21 May 2014
This review is from: The Old Road (Audio CD)
I'll let you decide if that's a good thing or not. The heart of this music lies in the eighties and nineties, so I would suggest it as being a bit shallow for my liking.

Given other peoples' opinion, I was sadly disappointed.

A Feast of Consequences
A Feast of Consequences
Offered by Fish Music
Price: 13.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Misplaced opportunity?, 12 Mar 2014
This review is from: A Feast of Consequences (Audio CD)
Fish is no longer a 'Prog' artist. it's a misconception made, that because he was part of Marillion's better periods, the flavour automatically gets carried on.

The theme is worthy, that's for sure, but it's worthy of something more profound than 'A feast of compromises' provides.

Perhaps my problem is that I don't listen to the words, I listen to the music, and it's simply not emotional enough for me.

I lost interest, and focus, in the 'High wood' suite. Nothing stands out! We are dealing simply with 'songs' here, and not 'tracks'... There's no musical relevance to the Great War!

Two songs save the album. Fish always comes up with the odd good song (thankfully), and 'All loved up' is a catchy fast one, whilst the best song on the album is 'Blind to the beautiful', which sounds like a (good) song from BBC4's 'Transatlantic sessions'.

The subject matter deserves a 'Lamb lies down in Ypres', or a 'Misplaced judgement', or 'A Muse 'bout death', something deeper. All that my ears hear here, is a collection of songs by Fish. It's all amiable enough, but generally, other than the two tracks mentioned, nothing really stands out.

Bangkok Dangerous (Score)
Bangkok Dangerous (Score)

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the better film soundtracks., 29 Jan 2014
You know that it's special when you're watching the film itself. It stands out.

Superior soundtrack, disappointingly not currently available, which is a shame.

Although slightly repetitive, (in as much as, how many different ways can you use the main theme?), it's certainly better than most modern film soundtracks, with production quality being top-notch.

Personally, I would suggest that this soundtrack needs, once more, to be made available.

Jeremias (Foreshadow of Forgotten Realms)
Jeremias (Foreshadow of Forgotten Realms)
Price: 7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Has its moments, but there should have been more., 21 Jan 2014
The song 'New age' (which comes from this album) was featured on Prog Rock magazine's demo disc. There was something in it that caught my ear, enough to buy the album...

Unfortunately, 'New age' is aesthetically, and technically as good as it gets! However, it should be noted, that it IS a really good track. The creativity within it was sadly not really to be repeated elsewhere, however.

The album DID remind me of the grand era of Rick Wakeman, or 'War of the Worlds', back in the seventies. I'm grateful for that. It shows that the 'Rock opera concept deserves a future.

In this instance, however, a bit more creativity, along the lines of 'New age', would be what I was seeking for the future.

Desolation Rose
Desolation Rose
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 12.09

3.0 out of 5 stars Very solid album, but where's the spark?, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Desolation Rose (Audio CD)
Against popular opinion, I reckon that 'Adam & Eve', 'Paradox hotel' and 'The sum of no evil' represent my favourite TFK period, though sadly, the last of these marked a temporary 'hold' on proceedings.

I would suggest that 'Desolation Rose' puts TFK back where they were with 'The sum of no evil', BUT, they haven't moved forward.

When I first heard this, it sounded like many of the band's musical ideas had been re-constituted from the albums mentioned above. Having heard it more, I'm probably TOO comfortable with it, because I'm not being challenged by it.

Against that, the band seems a tight unit once again, and the playing and production are top notch throughout. One nice bit is 'Resurrected Judas', which has a part that sounds similar to Genesis' 'Duke travels'.

I could suggest that the music is 'under-drummed', however I suspect that this is a deliberate ploy by Roine Stolt to emphasise where the creative input is coming from. This is a shame, because if a more attacking percussion were employed it could take the music up to another level. It perhaps exposes how the band differ from Genesis, where band member, Phil Collins' influence is clearly apparent. There's certainly space in the music for a more expansive drumming performance.

This is a good album, splendidly played by a band who, once again, seem right on the mark. The only drawback, for me at least, is the lack of new ideas.

Lotus 72 Owners' Manual: An insight into the design, engineering, maintenance and operation of Lotus's legendary Formula 1 car (Owner's Workshop Manual) (Haynes Owners' Workshop Manuals)
by Ian Wagstaff
Price: 14.95

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting technical story behind iconic racing car., 14 Nov 2013
This book is like the lower (hidden) part of an iceberg. We might remember the performances of the drivers at the races, however we didn't realise perhaps how much hard work was involved in getting the cars to the grid in the first place!

Behind the simplistic facade that the 72 presents to the eye, lies a complexity of design that the designers felt was necessary in trying to gain a competitive advantage.
It equally shows the evolution required to try and keep the 72 competitive at the time.

The 72 still looks good to me, even now. But I look at it with more respect knowing what it actually technically consists of, and what skills were needed to keep it going.

Thought provoking.

Olympus Has Fallen (Music from the Motion Picture) [+digital booklet]
Olympus Has Fallen (Music from the Motion Picture) [+digital booklet]
Price: 7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Power is nothing without... er, control?, 11 Nov 2013
A bits'n'pieces soundtrack. Lots of different film music, but it's not a cohesive album, meant to entertain as a whole.

Typically, an orchestral/synthetic new style soundtrack, which of course, combines the normal sounds connected with the military (Snare drums, Bugle, etc.) with all other modern film sounds on the grand scale.

Out of this lack of cohesiveness eventually come sounds that that stand out, that catch you. I found the end of track 3 (Death of the first lady) one such example.

The main track (White house: Ground attack) sounds more like something dreamt up by drum troop 'Stomp', combining the drums with heavy synths and the like. It's certainly powerful.

It is after this that we get lost in the relentless bits'n'pieces of 2 minute segments. To be honest nothing stands out, so the music tends to pass over you.

Eventually we arrive at the powerful film overture, which returns us to a sort of 'comfort' zone of familiarity (but equally, perhaps pretension.)

Much like the film, musical originality is not the nature of this beast. Instead, we have a more than competent group of sounds that will adequately accompany such a blockbuster.

To Shatter All Accord
To Shatter All Accord
Price: 33.70

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss out, 13 Oct 2013
This review is from: To Shatter All Accord (Audio CD)
A second-class Prog act heading for the main stage?

This album is certainly the freshest and most enjoyable that I've heard for a while, (since Big Big Train's English Electric part 1, to be precise), and I've heard BBT's English Electric part 2, Lifesigns, Steven Wilson's 'The raven that refused to sing' and Spocks Beard's 'Brief Nocturnes' in between.

The last two tracks are the reason. Combining the more subtle sounds of Van der Graaf Generator, IQ, and even Anthony Phillips with classic Prog keyboard behemoths make, remarkably, for a good song!

If you like Prog, and are unsure, then take the plunge! Don't miss out on what is pure Prog pleasure.

My Chequered Career: Thirty-five years of televising motorsport
My Chequered Career: Thirty-five years of televising motorsport
by Steve Rider
Price: 15.26

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly candid., 13 Sep 2013
Dry, but nonetheless, enjoyable look at what goes on behind the scenes when televising Formula 1.

I enjoyed the honesty, and the stories, though felt it could have been a bit longer.

Regardless, it's certainly a worthy effort, and I enjoyed reading it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5