Profile for sussexbowler > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Pearl Harbor Soundtrack
Pearl Harbor Soundtrack

3.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive romantic tripe., 24 Sep 2012
This review is from: Pearl Harbor Soundtrack (Audio CD)
Not dissimilar to music from the film 'Brief encounter'. Repeated again. And again. Oh, and again. Not forgetting again.

Romantic, yes. But not relevant to the subject of Pearl harbour, because there's no action music.

A musical exercise in extracting everything from one theme. Hence, repetitive.

And similar to 'Brief encounter', it's like, "So where do we go from here?" The answer, sadly, is actually nowhere.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2014 12:06 AM BST

Formula 1 in Camera 1970-79, Volume 2
Formula 1 in Camera 1970-79, Volume 2
by Paul Parker

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, rather than dramatic, 12 Sep 2012
I'll admit to having been there for half of the years dealt with by this book.
To that end, it acts as a fine reminder of those people who were ALSO on the grid, and as such, helped contribute to the stories and folklore of the period.

BUT. There is something missing. You see, whilst we have lovely colour photographs of cars that were generally only ever published in black and white, back in the day, the pictures are not generally associated with the action that may have given them notoriety.

It's like seeing the actors of a play going into the theatre at the stage door, but then not actually being able to see the play itself.

The photos used aren't always that good, but that's probably down to the era, because colour photography wasn't generally used for action, unlike today, where it's use is unrestricted. If I'd been able to get this book 30 years ago, I'd be more grateful than I am perhaps in 2012.

The positive thing IS that we are allowed to see these guys in colour at all! I kid you not.

Jim Crawford in a Lotus 72 at Monza in 1975 is one such example, or the photogenic Maki F101 from the same year. Yes, a rubbish performer, but still a looker!

Sadly, we are not shown drivers tackling the great corners (Well, okay, we get Ronnie Peterson in 1970 at Burnenville, Spa), so you won't come away awe-struck, having seen the drivers tackling the humps and jumps, so notorious of some of the great circuits used at the time, which is a pity.

And so to those memories. Tony Brise in the Williams at Montjuich in 1975, that Maki, drivers needing to pre-qualify in 1977, Hans Heyer's illegal start at Hockenheim, Gunnar Nilsson's last drive, in the red JPS, Jean-Pierre Jarier replacing Ronnie at the end of 1978, yet still unlucky, the Khausen, Jones and Villeneuve, Williams and Ferrari, side by side (as usual), and Marc Surer's efforts in the Ensign at Watkins Glen. It all still seems like yesterday.

I'm very glad this book exists. It proves that the World wasn't black & white in those days, and that it all might really have happened.

The book lacks drama, admittedly, but it still provides a reasonable visual journey through that period, and it's sure to bring back many memories for those who had an interest in the sport at that time.

The Black Chord
The Black Chord

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends upon your expectations, 9 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Black Chord (Audio CD)
To be honest, I was ready to condemn it after the first listenings, but then I got to like it!

It's too easy to be too proud of the sources of the band's material, but what's the point? We aren't getting anything new, and I like the style of music offered here, and always have.

You could say that it's a mix of Pink Floyd, The Moody blues, Yes and Rick Wakeman. But remember, it's NOT them! People were suggesting that it was like the Floyd, but I'd tend to disagree.

Astra try to find bits of the 'classics' that worked, and then incorporate them into their music. It's like trying to dig five tunnels under a river, and getting them all to meet up successfully!

Where it all fails (for me, at least), is that it isn't reflective enough. (See, I told you that it wasn't like Floyd.) She runs at quite a pace.

Anyway, the surprise is, that that album has a great ending, in the true spirit, no less!

Yes, I was cynical, but the download was well cheap. I wanted to see if my brother would like it (he's a Floyd fan), but I don't reckon he would because it's too fast-paced.

Nothing new here, of course, but if you like this type of 'traditional' Prog, it's probably worth a go.

Paradox Hotel
Paradox Hotel

5.0 out of 5 stars A creative and enjoyable masterpiece., 14 Aug 2012
This review is from: Paradox Hotel (Audio CD)
What's slightly confusing is that the album has the same name as a live show DVD that TFK did. I initially didn't realise that it was contemporary studio album, and was not related to the DVD. I thought the album was going to be an audio reproduction of the live show shown on the DVD...

Regardless of all this, 'Paradox Hotel' could be their finest achievement. Simply what's on the first disc (and there are amazingly 2) convinces me of that fact. There really isn't a dud song on it.

'Monsters and men' is a fine 20 minute track, that gets stronger throughout. It's followed by the heartbreaking and very strong 'Jealousy' (which has a fine rendition performed live on the DVD, ironically).

The album continues in an upbeat mood until we reach the moody, yet powerful 'Pioneers of Aviation'. Again we continue until we arrive at the incredibly powerful, and surely brave 'Bavarian skies'. This is an astonishing track, quite frankly.

Eventually we reach the finale 'End on a high note', and we certainly do! It marks a fine end to what is a thoroughly creative and enjoyable masterpiece. Their best?

Jon Lord - Pictured within
Jon Lord - Pictured within

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle, peaceful and heartfelt., 18 July 2012
If you want to hear something beautiful, then I'd suggest listening to this.
It's not perfect. Infact, I'd suggest only listening to 4 tracks off the entire album! But those 4 tracks are, well... sublime.

'Sunrise', 'Pictured within', 'Evening song' and 'Wait a while' (Tracks 1,2,6 and 9) are the four concerned.

This is music at peace with itself. There's never a need to rush. It's Gentle, peaceful and heartfelt.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2014 6:17 PM BST

Banks Of Eden
Banks Of Eden

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe it IS there. You just need to find it?, 16 July 2012
This review is from: Banks Of Eden (Audio CD)
Time to eat humble pie! I thought that I'd heard it enough before commenting on it. Obviously not.

'Forced' into listening to it, because I was seeing them live, I've found the album to be much better the more that I've listened to it.

'Numbers' has to go down as a classic, the last 10 minutes especially so. The shorter tracks still have much in them, and they shouldn't be taken at face value.

No, this is a worthy effort after all. If you like TFK, and are not getting 'into' the album, maybe keep going and eventually it'll all click into place. It seems to have done so for me.

U.K.
U.K.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lively, free-flowing, and yet atmospheric Prog classic., 26 May 2012
This review is from: U.K. (MP3 Download)
Like falling into a vat of cheesecake. Stunning musical soundscapes created by four supreme musicians allowed to express themselves fully.
Lively, free-flowing, and yet atmospheric Prog classic, but with a hint of jazz. This album really rocks!
Yes, the recording may be a bit thin, but the music is imperious nonetheless.
An absolute classic.

Adam & Eve
Adam & Eve

4.0 out of 5 stars Very solid Flower kings album, 6 May 2012
This review is from: Adam & Eve (Audio CD)
I really don't know why this album has such a bad reputation. I found it to be really good!
It also lasts an amazing 78 minutes, and there's no bonus tracks either. Believe me, that's 78 minutes of the very best of what the Flower kings represent!
It also thankfully means a change from earlier albums, where overly-long tracks simply eventually got 'lost' in their length. No, here, every note seems worthy.
Fear not, as the bombastic 'grand' sound that TFK are renowned for, is still alive and kicking too!
I'd say definitely one of their best albums, and definitely not to be missed.

Katyn [DVD] [2007]
Katyn [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Artur Zmijewski

4.0 out of 5 stars Profound., 4 May 2012
This review is from: Katyn [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
...alright, I might as well finish watching what, up to now, has been a slightly disappointing film.
Hang on? That's not right! What's going on? Oh blimey. This isn't good. There's still hope though.
Oh my God. Don't show me this. Oh no.
Oh my God.

Formula 1: The Roaring '70s
Formula 1: The Roaring '70s
by Rainer W. Schlegelmilch

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment!, 3 Mar 2012
Even the title is a misnomer. 'Roaring' implies engines, machines and the like, but what we have here is a portrait gallery of those who made up the Formula 1 of the seventies. Infact, even that's not true, because we reach the year 1975 having already been through 75% of the book. So there's an emphasis on the early part of the era.

People like the author surely have a responsibility to bring the past to life. Show that it really all did happen, in colour! (I say that, because most of the images we saw at the time were in black and white.) More than that, the 70's was the last time that F1 raced on the 'great' circuits, like the Nurburgring Nordschliefe, Barcelona's Montjuich park, Clermont Ferrand, and the old Spa francorchamps. And in cars that 'look' more like the F1 cars of today. Surely it'd be great to see lots of images of those circuits as they were at the time? The author frequented all of those races, but we get no images of what went on out on the circuit! Frustrating! Today, we can only imagine what it was like to see a F1 car on the aforementioned circuits, and sadly it seems that it still has to remain in our imagination.

To put it into perspective, there are no action pictures of the McLaren M23 (1973-1977), Tyrrell 006 (1973), Brabham BT44 (1974-5), Lotus 79 (1978), Williams FW07 (1979), the seminal cars of the era. How can one look at car development over the period? The best pictures are of Francois Cevert's Tyrrell, jumping at Montjuich, and an out of focus image of Ian Ashley's 1975 Williams equally jumping at the Flugplatz (on the Nurburgring), but that's pretty much it!

The author has showed us previously some ground-breaking and unconventional images of motor racing, and to be fair, he's always been keen to share as much as possible with the public.

Success in motor racing, however, is achieved on the track. It is there that the differences are showing between drivers and cars. But what this book portrays is almost a record of how 'fashion' changed over the period. There is no almost no inkling that we are dealing in a competitive sport.

Given what the author's photo library must consist of, this book has to be seen as a failure. It represents a personal look at the people who made up the F1 'circus' at that time. Sadly, it misses out on the cars, the action, the drama, the technology and the challenge of that period.

The publishers should understand that the F1 fans of today LOVE anything to do the great circuits. They LOVE cars that are tail-happy, which F1 cars of that era primarily were. I'm sure they'd love to see cars jumping at the Flugplatz, or the Phlantzgarten, or opposite-locking in and out of corners. Surely, it's what we all aspire to - seeing cars driven on the absolute limit!

Here, we have none of this. As I say, purely a fashion show. And as fashion goes out of date so quickly, it's a bad one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5