Profile for devilandthedeepbluesea > Reviews

Welcome to My World
by Johnny Weir
Price: 9.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge a book by its cover!, 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: Welcome to My World (Paperback)
I bought this as an e-book some time ago, but now it's available on Amazon UK without having to wait weeks for a US import I couldn't resist buying a physical copy too!

If you think Johnny Weir is all sparkle, no substance, this book truly puts paid to that image: he's a dedicated athlete, and has more layers than might initially meet the eye. If you pick this up expecting nothing but frivolity and glitz, you'll be surprised to find that it focuses very much more on the sport and the blood, sweat and tears he's poured into it than on the gossip.

His writing has an engaging tone, a wry wit and a self-deprecating sense of humour that makes for an entertaining read. As a writer (this isn't ghost-written, and it shows) he has a nice flair for imagery as well. My only real issue with this book (the e-book, at least) is that there are a few things that slipped past the editor, but it's a minor complaint, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it!

Unrelated [2007] [DVD]
Unrelated [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Hadley
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly brilliant, 29 Nov 2012
This review is from: Unrelated [2007] [DVD] (DVD)
I watched the director's latest effort, Archipelago before my copy of Unrelated arrived, and found myself dreading what was sure to be another dull, ponderous film (albeit a well acted one with beautiful cinematography). Imagine my surprise then, to find myself rather enraptured by Unrelated.

Although Unrelated may be a slow burner for many, it's nothing like the glacial pace of the very unstructured Archipelago, and its plot was more than enough to keep at least this viewer engaged.

The leads felt very natural, with the sexual tension suitably bubbling away, fueling the believability of Anna's unsuitable crush on the younger Oakley. The poolside scene was the piece de resistance, with the unwilling eavesdroppers brimming with visible awkwardness at the ferocity of the argument taking place inside the house.

If Hogg's next film is as well made as this one I look forward to watching it.

Harringtons Complete Puppy Dry Mix 2 kg (Pack of 6)
Harringtons Complete Puppy Dry Mix 2 kg (Pack of 6)
Price: 23.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value product, 29 Nov 2012
I didn't know what to do with myself when my local supermarket stopped stocking this brand. Having read up a little on canine nutrition, and having read the ingredients list of about twenty different brands of dry food, I'd decided that a) most leading, readily available dog foods are terrible (usually only 4% meat of dubious quality) and b) the very best foods (like James Wellbeloved) are exorbitantly priced.

After a lot of shopping around, I found Harrington's. Relatively cheap, with natural ingredients and a more than reasonable (and identifiable!) meat content, it's also free of the common allergen wheat, and can prevent bad odours becoming a problem with your pooch (from either end!) Their puppy food is even higher quality than the adult food. I'm glad I was able to order this for my litter of pups online! Highly recommended!