Profile for Gill Le Fevre > Reviews

Content by Gill Le Fevre

Gill Le Fevre (Reading, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
One in Ten: How to Survive Your First Ten Years in Business
One in Ten: How to Survive Your First Ten Years in Business
by Chantal Cornelius

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm, engaging advice from the front line!, 24 Oct 2014
I used to run my own business and I can't remember the number of times I was told how easy it is for a small business to fail, so it's wonderful to celebrate and learn from a business that has toughed it out through both the good times and the bumps along the way.

Chantal has been through all the highs and lows of running your own business, so she knows what she's talking about and walks her talk every day of the year. She shares her experiences and insights without pulling any punches or glossing over the hard bits. Reading the book is like sitting down for a honest chat with a trusted friend -- a mix of stories and lessons learned in a friendly and encouraging tone.

You can read the book from start to finish, or just as easily dip into the different chapters depending on your circumstances. Either way, you'll come away feeling motivated and energised and ready to tackle the inevitable challenges that running your own business brings.

iTech iPod, iPad & iPhone Mains Charger - White
iTech iPod, iPad & iPhone Mains Charger - White
Offered by Navitech Official Uk Store Ltd - Order Expedited shipping before the 23rd Dec for Guaranteed Christmas delivery

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't charge Ipad (v1 or v2), 14 Aug 2012
I bought this to charge my Ipad, but am frustrated to discover that it doesn't seem to work. It charges a v1 Ipod and a v4 Iphone so I won't send it back, but it's not solved my original problem.

Why We Get Fat: And What to Do about It (Rough Cut)
Why We Get Fat: And What to Do about It (Rough Cut)
by Gary Taubes

5.0 out of 5 stars Confronting, essential reading, 21 Mar 2011
I was a confirmed low-carb sceptic before I started reading this book. But having had two children in the last four years, I was struggling to lose the extra weight I'd gained and was prepared to consider every alternative. I then heard about the book and a read of the Amazon reviews persuaded me to give the book a chance.

This is now probably one of the most significant books I've read. It has completely challenged everything I thought I knew about diet and nutrition and I'm staggered to see how little scentific evidence there is for so much of what we believe about weight management.

Taubes' book is well-written, thoroughly-researched and utterly compelling. His style is very easy to read -- even the complex, in-depth explanations -- and his conclusions will change the way I eat.

I highly recommend "Why We get Fat" for anyone who wants to make informed health choices (although, yes, be prepared for the deckle edges).

Mr Wolf's Pancakes (Mr Wolf Series)
Mr Wolf's Pancakes (Mr Wolf Series)
by Jan Fearnley

5.0 out of 5 stars Great modern version of The Little Red Hen, 3 Aug 2010
Both my daughter (age 3) and I love this story, so it features regularly at bedtime. The story is a modern rewriting of The Little Red Hen, and has updated that story in a way that is modern, refreshing and a lot of fun. I've read The Little Red Hen with my daughter previously but she doesn't really understand what an ear of wheat is or why it gets taken to a mill (depsite my best efforts at explaining). She easily understands the shopping and cooking processes, having done both many times, so it's much easier for her to empathise with what Mr Wolf needs to do. As a result, the story is more engaging and the moral about helping others is much stronger. The twist at the end continues to delight, despite no longer having the element of surprise.

The language is good and easily positions Mr Wolf as the hero and the others as villains, despite this being a reversal of the other stories referenced, e.g. Little Red Riding Hood. The illustrations are also great, with some lovely touches that keep me entertained, which always helps on the fiftieth reading!

Philips AVENT Express II Microwave Steam Steriliser
Philips AVENT Express II Microwave Steam Steriliser

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent product that does the job, 3 Aug 2010
We bought this steriliser to replace our larger Avent steam steriliser which had stopped working (after being used for three and a half children over seven years, so pretty durable). It's a pretty good product, compact and easy to clean and use.

But I do have two grumbles with the product. Firstly, I could never manage to fit 6 x 9oz bottles in the steriliser; I only ever managed 4. This was not a disaster but it did mean we were running the steriliser more often than we had previously. And secondly, if the required water is 200ml, why would you provide a water measure that had "major" lines at 90 and 120, but not 100??

Minor grumbles, I know, and they wouldn't have been enough to stop me buying the product.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Boats that float!, 3 Aug 2010
I've really gone off squirter toys for the bath (it doesn't make for a happy bathtime when your 3 year old tries to squirt water at your 1 year old only to have him covered in the black gunk that inevitably builds up inside these toys!) and I've been frustrated by many of the other bath toys available, but these boats are a real winner. For starters, they float -- which you would think would be a requirement of bath boats... but sadly isn't always the case. And then the magnets provide loads of fun, particularly using the magnets to repel each other and chase the boats round the bath.

Flip, Flap, Flop (Usborne Bath Books)
Flip, Flap, Flop (Usborne Bath Books)
by Mary Cartwright
Edition: Bath Book

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective fun, 3 Aug 2010
I don't think bath books need to have much of a story, so these very simple books (3-4 words per page) are spot on. We read longer stories before bathtime, so all these books need to have is bright engaging pictures and so far the Usborne Bath Books series hasn't failed us. And if you want to have more of a story in the bath, you can always embellish the story if you want to. The quality of the book appears good and the squeaker is a fun addition. When my son (age 1) has got out of the bath, his sister (age 3) often picks up the book and makes up her own stories which helps keep her entertained while I dry and dress my son, so it's working well for all the family!

Jolly Pirate Bath Book (Usborne Bath Books)
Jolly Pirate Bath Book (Usborne Bath Books)
by Stella Baggott
Edition: Bath Book

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective fun, 3 Aug 2010
I don't think bath books need to have much of a story, so these very simple books (3-4 words per page) are spot on in my mind. We read longer stories before bathtime, so all these books need to have is bright engaging pictures -- and as another reviewer has said, you can embellish the story if you want to. The quality of the book appears good and the squeaker is a fun addition. When my son (age 1) has got out of the bath, his sister (age 3) often picks up the book and makes up her own stories which helps keep her entertained while I dry and dress my son, so it's working well for all the family!

Stacking Cups
Stacking Cups
Offered by ToyWarehouseUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Best birthday gift of the lot, 3 Aug 2010
This review is from: Stacking Cups (Baby Product)
We bought this as part of my son's first birthday and so far he's had more fun playing with it than with any of the other (more expensive!) gifts he received. The cups are simple but with plenty of scope for development and, as the other reviewers have said, there are endless games you can play with them. Regarding the size of the cups, I think they're the perfect size for little hands to grasp and play with. I'm delighted with this toy and will be buying more as gifts in the future.

Fun Time Pop-Up Farm Friends
Fun Time Pop-Up Farm Friends
Offered by Trendi

4.0 out of 5 stars Great toy - simple and effective, 3 Aug 2010
This review is from: Fun Time Pop-Up Farm Friends (Toy)
This is a really simple toy, but one that provides plenty of entertainment for a young toddler. My son (just 1) can only operate the push button now, but is fascinated by the others and it won't be long before he's mastering the rest. Sometimes the most straightforward toys can be the most successful.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3