Profile for Jon P > Reviews

Content by Jon P

Jon P (Wales, UK)

TP-LINK TL-PA251KIT AV200+ Multi-Streaming Powerline Starter Kit with AC Pass Through (UK Plug Only)
Offered by E W Link Co Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended. Worked straight from the box despite my concerns ..., 16 Aug. 2014
Recommended. Worked straight from the box despite my concerns about my house's very old wiring and being on different circuits.

HP Photosmart B110a COLOR (CN245B)
HP Photosmart B110a COLOR (CN245B)

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 12 Feb. 2014
As with others' experience I've had connectivity and cartridge problems. I find it unacceptable to be wasting time on coaxing a printer to work in the year 2014. I've wasted money on replacement cartridges/USB cable - but most importantly I will never get that wasted time back. Have just thrown it out and have bought a simple laser mono printer instead. I feel empowered!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2014 6:19 PM BST

Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Chronograph Stainless Watch #AT0550-11X
Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Chronograph Stainless Watch #AT0550-11X

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice solid watch, 2 Nov. 2010
I've had this watch for a few months now.

Positives: It looks nice, and this strap makes it less formal. Not too big, easy to adjust and a clever stopwatch. I've accidentally scraped the glass a few times, but it hasn't scratched & still looks brand new.

Negatives: I can see the leather strap will wear out long before the watch does - it's fading around the buckle.

Overall - I'm really pleased with this watch.

Sunshine Kids Travel Pal Car Organiser
Sunshine Kids Travel Pal Car Organiser
Offered by Toys n Leisure

2.0 out of 5 stars Nicely made, but not quite right, 2 Nov. 2010
This feels nicely made and like someone has put some thought into its design. However, it didn't work for me and I've now taken it out the car altogether. Two reasons why ....

1) Like other reviewers, I couldn't fathom any way of fastening it in place.
2) I've got two child seats in the back, and it got in the way every time they tried to fasten their seatbelts.

Nice idea that just didn't work in practice.

Lawn Aerating Aerator Sandals
Lawn Aerating Aerator Sandals

3.0 out of 5 stars I made them work (eventually), 4 July 2010
This review is from: Lawn Aerating Aerator Sandals
The shoes are pretty robust but the straps are useless. Mine broke before I got to the lawn.

I did make it work however by:

1) Pulling the plastic buckles off all the straps (i did this by hand!).
2) Tying the straps in an ordinary double knot as tight as i could over my shoes.
3) Poking a stick through the ankle strap and winding it round until the strap was very tight.
4) Securing the end of the stick by putting up my trouser leg.
5) Asking my girlfriend to stop laughing.

And then, wey-hey, I happily made small holes all over my lawn for 20 minutes with no trouble (although the blood supply to my feet took a while to return).
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2011 9:43 AM BST

Hitch 22: A Memoir
Hitch 22: A Memoir
by Christopher Hitchens

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a good read, 13 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Hitch 22: A Memoir (Hardcover)
Before reading this I knew Hitchens was a controversial figure - but I wasn't familiar with why (to be honest i thought he must have been a wealthy brattish tory - i'm glad i was wrong (although wealthy tories also write good books)).

As a 39-year-old comprehensive school-educated middle-manager, this very readable book took me on a fabulous trip of what happened to someone who was in the right place at the right time (i think i read recently that people born in 1949 had the best of all worlds). Hitchens has experienced at first hand some of the more fundamental developments in human history of the last 40 years. He writes about his experiences with genuine warmth, insight and honesty without pretentiousness. It's the most enjoyable book I've read in a while - and having just finished it I feel more connected to some of the big issues being played out in the world and I'm motivated to read more deeply & widely.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2010 4:32 PM BST

Way To Normal
Way To Normal

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off ..., 11 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Way To Normal (Audio CD)
I very nearly didn't buy this as other reviewers' comments were so mixed. it's been in my car now for a month & I think it's great. Lots of energy and strong songs.

Don't be put off - make your own mind up.

Rexel Odyssey Personal Heavy Duty Stapler Silver with a Box of 500 Odyssey Staples

5.0 out of 5 stars The Biz, 12 July 2008
I've had the Odyssey as my desk stapler for over a year now, and it has NEVER once failed to do the biz, even with thick documents. I like simple things that work reliably, and this fits very nicely in that category. I have developed real affection for it & even think it looks & feels nice too. No more bent staples or messing around & completely worth the extra cash.